Wiki Posts
Search

W Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 5:40 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by remymartin
How did you get so low rates? I have never seen this property under 4600++
3888++ is a sale rate they advertize, but I've never seen it bookable for any extended period of time. Usually their lowest rate is 4888++. I actually had one of my BRGs shot down stating that their own rate had changed to 3888++, and when I checked, there it was. Couldn't have been bookable for more than 24 hours.

The 4300 all-in rate is based on a little known BRG source run by a major regional airline's holiday/package department. It has VERY good rates for a number of hotels in BKK (also SGS for 4700 all-in), KUL, HK, etc. I won't post it here (and would suggest that nobody else post it either), but I'm happy to PM. Obviously, 4300 all-in for W or 4700 all-in for SGS are excellent deals, especially if you stay for a single night and get the 2000 BRG reward points.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jpdx
Regarding the open bathroom issue lamented earlier; the suite has that feature, but I don’t mind. FWIW, I find the walkthrough toilet stall featured in SGS suites much more objectionable. In the Marvelous suite, the open floor plan is rather tolerable because there’s also a fairly large guest bathroom off the living room.
I, too, am put off by the open toilet issue. That said, having that extra bathroom would solve the problem for me if I could be guaranteed such a suite.

Great breakfast. Yes, it costs 500 points, but it’s a very nice spread of Western and Asian stuff (Thai and Indian dishes, dim sum and European meats, eggs delivered to the table). Totally worth foregoing the points, especially on a multi-night stay.
For me, the question isn't whether the breakfast is worth 500 points, but rather whether it's that much better than breakfast at a property where I can have the 500 points and the breakfast.

Great staff. Everybody I encountered was helpful and friendly, but not in an annoying over-the-top hip W way.
Good to hear. That trés chic attitude is why I won't go back to W HKG. Staff almost went out of their way to make me feel that I wasn't cool enough to stay there. (Or, viewed slightly differently, perhaps they were just forcing me to face reality. :-) )

The pool has no shade. I tried relaxing out there for a few hours, and it was unbearably hot. If you are planning on pool time, this is a dealbreaker.
Yup, I noticed this, too. And Bangkok is not a city where you can really live without a shade option at the pool.

And while the train doesn’t run right through your living room, I found the 3-minute walk bearable.
Have you done it in a downpour during rainy season? Even walking through the office building in front, it would still be way too far for me when it's pouring outside.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously, 4300 all-in for W or 4700 all-in for SGS are excellent deals, especially if you stay for a single night and get the 2000 BRG reward points.
For comparison purposes, 4,700 all in is equivalent to 3,993.20++.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
In sum, I think the hotel is vastly better than it has been reviewed here. Great suites, great staff, and great rates – one of my stays was under a THB3888++ intro rate, the other was THB4300 all-in (with BRG). If you pay in that neighborhood, and get one of the Marvelous suites, it’s hard to see how you could go wrong with this hotel.
+1 ^

I have stayed at the W twice already and enjoyed my stays immensely. But, then again, I used SNA's to get into a Marvelous Suite both times.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:12 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
... if I could be guaranteed such a suite.
That, I think is the key issue here; are they generally stingy with upgrades, or did the earlier posters simply have bad luck? We need more reports! Until this has been established, the way to be guaranteed a suite is to book a refundable rate, apply a SNA, and if it doesn't clear, cancel and stay elsewhere. (Of course now we're getting into the question whether it's reasonable to burn a SNA in a city with many great Plat options that don't require burning a SNA).

For me, the question isn't whether the breakfast is worth 500 points, but rather whether it's that much better than breakfast at a property where I can have the 500 points and the breakfast.
I'm not the right person to answer that question, because I'm not a breakfast fan. I had breakfast at SGS the day after my last W stay, and found the W more impressive. But others need to chime in here; my opinion on breakfasts isn't worth much.

Have you done it in a downpour during rainy season? Even walking through the office building in front, it would still be way too far for me when it's pouring outside.
I haven't done this particular walk in such conditions, but I have walked in massive downpours in SE Asia, and this strikes me as a first-world problem.

... minus another THB 1,200 or so if you value the 2000 BRG points at $.02/pt. Almost into mattress run territory.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... minus another THB 1,200 or so if you value the 2000 BRG points at $.02/pt. Almost into mattress run territory.
3,993.20++ = 4,700 all in is the standard weekend rate at SGS if you're a member of the Grande Club (SGS created it to replace Starwood Privilege after the hotel withdrew from that program), membership in which is effectively free. (I.e., membership is THB 7,900 but you get an immediate credit posted to your F&B account in the same amount, 7,900.)
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:59 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I haven't done this particular walk in such conditions, but I have walked in massive downpours in SE Asia, and this strikes me as a first-world problem.
How is whether one wants to get wet walking from the W to the BTS anything but a standard problem?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
There are some very attractive (Starpicks) rates being offered through spg.com now for bookings next month, and Extraordinary W Offer rates with double points & free cancellation are around 300 THB more. For example, Starpicks rates are:
3640 THB++ for Wonderful room
4204 THB++ for Spectacular room
4904 THB++ for Studio suite

I've never stayed here partly due to its unattractive location (I prefer Sukhumvit area) - but might try a night or two here just for a different experience.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
There are some very attractive (Starpicks) rates being offered through spg.com now for bookings next month, and Extraordinary W Offer rates with double points & free cancellation are around 300 THB more. For example, Starpicks rates are:
3640 THB++ for Wonderful room
4204 THB++ for Spectacular room
4904 THB++ for Studio suite

I've never stayed here partly due to its unattractive location (I prefer Sukhumvit area) - but might try a night or two here just for a different experience.
I am not seeing any Starpicks rates loaded. How are you finding them?

Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond, SPG Plat, Accor Gold
That, I think is the key issue here; are they generally stingy with upgrades, or did the earlier posters simply have bad luck? We need more reports! Until this has been established, the way to be guaranteed a suite is to book a refundable rate, apply a SNA, and if it doesn't clear, cancel and stay elsewhere. (Of course now we're getting into the question whether it's reasonable to burn a SNA in a city with many great Plat options that don't require burning a SNA).

I'm not the right person to answer that question, because I'm not a breakfast fan. I had breakfast at SGS the day after my last W stay, and found the W more impressive. But others need to chime in here; my opinion on breakfasts isn't worth much.

I used my SNA to secure a Marvellous suite here for a one night stay, although I somehow ended up in a Studio Suite. When I went down to ask the FD agent regarding the suite allocations, she just smiled and said, "better luck next time" Nevertheless, I was too jet-lagged that day to escalate the situation further...
Old Sep 14, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by whimike
I am not seeing any Starpicks rates loaded. How are you finding them?
They showed up in a normal search from the SPG homepage. I think the Starpicks dry up by Saturday; according to SPG, they're available Tuesday - Friday.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DurandilToss
... she just smiled and said, "better luck next time ..."
Unaccpetable answer, IMO. Borders on rude. She won't be saying that to me more than once.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by DurandilToss
I used my SNA to secure a Marvellous suite here for a one night stay, although I somehow ended up in a Studio Suite. When I went down to ask the FD agent regarding the suite allocations, she just smiled and said, "better luck next time" Nevertheless, I was too jet-lagged that day to escalate the situation further...
Unaccpetable answer, IMO. Borders on rude. She won't be saying that to me more than once.

I totally agree, absolutely unacceptable.

OP, can we take it that by "secure" you mean that you selected a Marv Suite during the SNA process, and that it was confirmed before your arrival? You have the email from the SNA system right? Should contact the hotel and ask for an explanation.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond, SPG Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
I totally agree, absolutely unacceptable.

OP, can we take it that by "secure" you mean that you selected a Marv Suite during the SNA process, and that it was confirmed before your arrival? You have the email from the SNA system right? Should contact the hotel and ask for an explanation.
Yes, I received the SNA confirmation email for the marvelous suite (the only option I selected) the night before I checked into the hotel. When I talked to the agent who checked me out the next day, she replied that it is possible for plats who are confirmed to get the marvelous suite to be relocated to a studio suite if the suite was not available at the time of check-in (around 3.30 pm when I checked in) since "technically the studio suite is also a suite".

I will try to book a room again with a SNA certificate again the next time when I return in November and check in around 5pm just to see if they will still do the "downgrading". If not I will write an email to the GM requesting for an explanation.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
DurandilToss,

I would advise you not to leave the matter at this. Please crosspost to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-year-119.html and see what the Lurkers have to say.

I think it would be reasonable for you to get your SNA back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.