Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Seoul [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC, AA Plat Pro
Any recent stays? Wondering how this place sizes up compared to the JW Dongdaemun after the renovations?
Nazdoom likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingKansan
Any recent stays? Wondering how this place sizes up compared to the JW Dongdaemun after the renovations?
I am interested to hear any recent reviews too. Pre-reno (last year) was quite disappointing all around and every time back to Seoul I have instead stayed at Courtyards regardless of whether I need to be in Gangnam. The only redeeming factor was I had positive relationships with many staff and started getting "invitations to breakfast in the restaurant" slipped under my door every night (much superior to lounge breakfast).
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
I am interested to hear any recent reviews too. Pre-reno (last year) was quite disappointing all around and every time back to Seoul I have instead stayed at Courtyards regardless of whether I need to be in Gangnam. The only redeeming factor was I had positive relationships with many staff and started getting "invitations to breakfast in the restaurant" slipped under my door every night (much superior to lounge breakfast).
It just reopened today. No pictures have been coming out on the Korean blogger side or Instagram yet. All I've heard is they've devoted 3 floors to fitness activities including a basketball court, squash, bigger pool and pilates, yoga and weights.
rny321 and FlyingKansan like this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rooms are better than they were but they kept the 1 sink basin, diamond layout counter from before. F&B definitely more competitive than before too. JW Marriott Dongdaemun still seems newer and fresher though.
atlion25, rny321 and FlyingKansan like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Marriott press release today on the renovation/grand re-opening:

JW Marriott Seoul Reopens After Extensive Renovations, Offering Sophisticated Travelers Enriching Experiences in the Korean Capital | Marriott News Center

Cheers.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Anyone stayed here since the rennovations ?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
I am currently in the midst of 5 day stay here. I was planning on posting a review after I complete the stay. If you have any specific questions let me know, but in general the positives are: newly renovated rooms, great lounge, good business location negatives: large hotel, inconsistent service.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by BillBurn
I am currently in the midst of 5 day stay here. I was planning on posting a review after I complete the stay. If you have any specific questions let me know, but in general the positives are: newly renovated rooms, great lounge, good business location negatives: large hotel, inconsistent service.
Thanks for the reply.
I had read somewhere that they had been a bit cheap in the rennovations and some old parts of the rooms have remained, especially in the bathrooms. Is there any truth to this ? Do the bathrooms have walk-in showers or bathtubs ?

On a more general level...does it feel like you are staying at a 5 star luxury hotel, as JW Marriott is supposed to be ?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Thanks for the reply.
I had read somewhere that they had been a bit cheap in the rennovations and some old parts of the rooms have remained, especially in the bathrooms. Is there any truth to this ? Do the bathrooms have walk-in showers or bathtubs ?
My wife and I are staying in an Executive Suite and although I have not stayed in the hotel pre-renovation, I am pretty sure the bathroom in our suite was completely redone. It has two sinks a deep soaking tub and a walk-in shower with a double sized rain shower. I will say that one of the reasons I booked the executive suite vs. the normal king suite is that from the pictures on the website the Executive Suite seemed to have a much better/newer bathroom so I noticed the same things you have heard. I have attached some pictures below in case you are curious. My kids are staying in an Executive Deluxe Double room and I didn't really check out their bathroom but I will try to do so tomorrow and post some pics (although it probably looks like a war zone by now).

Executive Suite Sinks

Executive Suite Shower

Executive Suite Tub

Executive Suite Toilet

Executive Suite Power Room

On a more general level...does it feel like you are staying at a 5 star luxury hotel, as JW Marriott is supposed to be ?
So this is a tough question because we came here from the Ritz Kyoto which is a world-class 5 star hotel, so my perspective and basis for evaluation is a little skewed by that. I will say that the hotel compares favorably to other JW Marriotts I have stayed at in the US and abroad (although I have only stay in one other JW in Asia in Beijing). The service is a little uneven for a 5 star hotel (didn't get access to 1 of our rooms until 5PM on 1st day, no turn down service in our suite first 2 nights) and the hotel is also pretty large for a 5 star hotel at 349 rooms so it can feel a little more hectic than most 5 stars. As far as the room goes, the toiletries, lines and bed are very good although not as good as somewhere like the RC Kyoto, but then again the room doesn't cost $1000+ night either. The lounge is brand new, huge, tasteful and puts out a great spread of food throughout the day. One of the best non-Ritz lounges I have been too in the Marriott system. Overall, it has a 5 star feel, but its not the absolute top end. We considered moving to the JW Marriott Dongdaemun as that is a much smaller, more intimate, yet modern hotel but their lounge doesn't allow kids at all and that was a deal breaker for us.
FlyingKansan likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That Executive suite was definitely totally re-done but regular suites kept the original 1 sink style.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:34 pm

My wife and I are staying in an Executive Suite and although I have not stayed in the hotel pre-renovation, I am pretty sure the bathroom in our suite was completely redone. It has two sinks a deep soaking tub and a walk-in shower with a double sized rain shower. I will say that one of the reasons I booked the executive suite vs. the normal king suite is that from the pictures on the website the Executive Suite seemed to have a much better/newer bathroom so I noticed the same things you have heard. I have attached some pictures below in case you are curious. My kids are staying in an Executive Deluxe Double room and I didn't really check out their bathroom but I will try to do so tomorrow and post some pics (although it probably looks like a war zone by now).

So this is a tough question because we came here from the Ritz Kyoto which is a world-class 5 star hotel, so my perspective and basis for evaluation is a little skewed by that. I will say that the hotel compares favorably to other JW Marriotts I have stayed at in the US and abroad (although I have only stay in one other JW in Asia in Beijing). The service is a little uneven for a 5 star hotel (didn't get access to 1 of our rooms until 5PM on 1st day, no turn down service in our suite first 2 nights) and the hotel is also pretty large for a 5 star hotel at 349 rooms so it can feel a little more hectic than most 5 stars. As far as the room goes, the toiletries, lines and bed are very good although not as good as somewhere like the RC Kyoto, but then again the room doesn't cost $1000+ night either. The lounge is brand new, huge, tasteful and puts out a great spread of food throughout the day. One of the best non-Ritz lounges I have been too in the Marriott system. Overall, it has a 5 star feel, but its not the absolute top end. We considered moving to the JW Marriott Dongdaemun as that is a much smaller, more intimate, yet modern hotel but their lounge doesn't allow kids at all and that was a deal breaker for us.

Thanks again for the detailed replies and photos.
Please let us know if your kids' room has any differences.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:32 am

Thanks again for the detailed replies and photos.
Please let us know if your kids' room has any differences.
Below are some bathroom photos from my kids room, an Executive Deluxe Double. Single sink, separate bath/shower with a rain shower head. It looks like they replaced the toilet and the fixtures in shower, but all the marble seems original. Someone who stayed there pre-renovation can probably confirm.

Executive Deluxe Double Bathroom Sink/Toilet

Executive Deluxe Double Shower

Executive Deluxe Double Bath
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:21 am

Below are some bathroom photos from my kids room, an Executive Deluxe Double. Single sink, separate bath/shower with a rain shower head. It looks like they replaced the toilet and the fixtures in shower, but all the marble seems original. Someone who stayed there pre-renovation can probably confirm.
Thanks again for the update.
Very useful info here.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Executive Deluxe Double Bathroom Sink/Toilet

Executive Deluxe Double Shower

Executive Deluxe Double Bath
Yes. The sink countertop marble is still the same but the toilet was upgraded and fixtures changed.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Was this hotel supposed to jump from Cat 5 to Cat 6

Trying to make an award reservation and its pricing out as a Cat 6 property

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.