Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Seoul [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just noticed there's a new CY opening next month. "The first Marriott branded hotel in Gyeonggi area, Courtyard by Marriott Seoul Pangyo"

Also this is what I have for current Seoul properties on the exec lounge sticky. Please post if it's accurate/inaccurate. Thx.

* Seoul / JW Marriott Dongdaemum Square / OPEN (per website); 04/12/14 update
* Seoul / JW Marriott / OPEN; i-net terminals; 01/14 update update
* Seoul / Renaissance / OPEN; Lounge on 21st floor; Breakfast lounge on 23rd floor; 04/12/14 update
* Seoul / Courtyard Seoul Times Square / OPEN; Breakfast in restaurant or lounge; i-net terminals & wireless; 08/11/13 update
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Thanks so much!! Yes, lounge access for the 2 of us, and we'll pay for the other 4 guests (sounds like it's well worth it, considering the price of breakfast and cocktails/snacks in the evening, if we have time).
Old May 24, 2014, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Hello FTers,

I am going to bring an elderly to the JW Marriott Seoul (the one close to the Express bus terminal) with a flight arriving at 9:15pm. I understand the airport bus 6020 is an option getting us to the JW (though it doesn't stop directly right at JW as I understand). Alternatively, at this late hour, is there any better means of transport? I guess taxi cab will cost a lot?

Any experience traveling from ICN airport to the JW is well appreciated.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by kikid
Hello FTers,

I am going to bring an elderly to the JW Marriott Seoul (the one close to the Express bus terminal) with a flight arriving at 9:15pm. I understand the airport bus 6020 is an option getting us to the JW (though it doesn't stop directly right at JW as I understand). Alternatively, at this late hour, is there any better means of transport? I guess taxi cab will cost a lot?

Correct, the airport bus is the way to go. There are two airport buses which go close to the JW - the 6020 and (I believe) the 6040. Both are around 15000 won, vs. a taxi at around 60-80K won. Elapsed time is almost the same (about 40 minutes or so at that time of night).

The only downside to the buses is that they do not drop off at the front door. One drops you off directly behind the hotel, which does entail a walk of a block or so, plus navigating some stairs. The bus that drops off in front is the same situation, though no stairs. So, I suppose you have to decide on the amount of luggage you have and how easy it is for your friend to walk. I have never tried it, but I suppose you could contact the hotel and ask if one of the bellhops would meet you at the bus stop to help with luggage.

On departure, the bus at the front of the hotel stops right at the hotel (unless that has changed). The bus behind the hotel is a bit trickier as it is fully across the street and down half a block.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
For 2 or more people, I've found taking a taxi to be the optimal way to get to/from ICN. Don't have to wait for the bus, drop off/pick up at hotel lobby, etc. For the extra $30, I think it's worthwhile.
Old May 27, 2014, 4:08 pm

I stayed at JW Marriott Seoul twice. ICN Airport bus is comfortable and convenient. Although it does not drop you off in front of the hotel, it drops you off at the express bus terminal which is connected to the hotel. There is no need to walk on the street. Once you arrive, go inside the express bus terminal, take escalator up and follow the sign. You will need to pass through some shops. Look for another escalator near Uniqlo. That escalator will take you up to JW Marriott.
Old May 27, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by miumiu79
I stayed at JW Marriott Seoul twice. ICN Airport bus is comfortable and convenient. Although it does not drop you off in front of the hotel, it drops you off at the express bus terminal which is connected to the hotel. There is no need to walk on the street. Once you arrive, go inside the express bus terminal, take escalator up and follow the sign. You will need to pass through some shops. Look for another escalator near Uniqlo. That escalator will take you up to JW Marriott.
And no stairs... just the escalators or an elevator.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:17 am
Suspended

Thanks every one here for the inputs

Originally Posted by DL-Don
Old May 28, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by kikid
Hello FTers,

take a cab its fast and easy costs around 65$ one way
Old May 29, 2014, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by DL-Don
I agree that generally you can take the escalator or elevator. I mentioned stairs because one time when I arrived late, all doors to the mall were locked up and I had to go up the stairs that go along the side of the hotel. I would imagine a 2115 arrival would get them to the hotel at about 2300, so maybe not a problem.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: free agent
I will stay at this hotel during my work trip. How's breakfast, foods, and drinks at lounge?
Old May 29, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by washeelers747
I will stay at this hotel during my work trip. How's breakfast, foods, and drinks at lounge?
Breakfast at the restaurant was decent. Never been to the lounge there. Much prefer JW Marriott Dongdaemun.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by washeelers747
I think that the lounge does a decent job at breakfast. A few hot breakfast selections, rolls, croissants, cereals, etc.

Drinks and evening food is also pretty good.

I dont really like the seating and it can be difficult at times to find an open seat, but overall a very nice lounge.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:34 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Review: July 2017

Hi,

Had a 1 paid night stay here.

Location: Next to the Express bus terminal and the Shinsigae department store and a large shopping complex - basically all in one. Close to the area, there are not much other tourist related things to do (though the new Sheraton Palace hotel is just diagonally across the street). It is though above the cross junction of metro 7, 9 and 11 - so easily to go anywhere in Seoul.

Check-in: Check in area was slightly busy, 3 persons deep, they do have a membership area in a separate area. Did my check in there, was initially assigned a room on the 10th floor without much view, requested for one with a view, and they did manage to find one on the 28th. Nice view of the city and down towards the bus station and across from the St Mary hospital building. Given a run down of my benefits as an Elite member. [few hours later, noticed that the front desk was crowded with a large group of people checking in - hotel is certainly doing well in this summer period]

Room: Room is in a sort of L shape, with a long hallway leading to the room. Size was ok. The room gave me a deja vu back to the Ritz Carlton Seoul room. Everything looks rather similar to the furnishing at the Ritz with just a slight touch of less classic touch. Initially upon entering the room, it was hot and smelled rather "old". After letting the AC run for 2 hours, i returned to the same situation, so called down to ask for someone to check. They needed another 2 hours to fix the AC which later improved it a lot. Bed was comfortable. Controls in the room was clearly from the 80's or 90's though still functional and actually quite unique to see such controls from the older times. TV was exactly the same one as the Ritz, with ok number of different channels although some senders were of poor quality.
Luckily although old, the lifts were rather efficient in bringing guests up and down without ever waiting too long.

Bathroom: Toiletries were by Aromatherapy Associates. It was showing it's age, though still functional and everything worked fine. Sadly the toilet is still not equipped with those electronic toilets. There was a walk in shower and a bathtub. Water pressure was good and good temperature control.

Lounge: Located on the 30th floor, the size is moderately big, though it can get very busy in the weekends for both breakfast and evening offerings. As like at the The Plaza, the evening session was very busy (they do limit children only to be until 6 pm - just before the bar is open - which is a welcome to not have children shouting or running around like other lounges). Although busy,they did manage to handle the situation, did see them send some groups down to other F&B outlets.
Both evening and breakfast selections were good and up to standard for such a hotel standard.

Staff: As usual, friendly and helpful staff - especially those at the lounge during the busy hours you could see them working hard to reduce the wait and replenish food and drinks and cleaning up fast.

Gym/Swimming pool: Although I did not use it, from the looks of it, a very well equipped gym and nice swimming pool.

Elite benefit: normal access to the lounge, use of gym, sauna, late check-out. One free pressing of clothing daily.

Generic: A good despite dated hotel with good connection via public transportation to different parts of Seoul. It would be a a great hotel if just that they updated it to other new JW's like those in Dubai or even China. Hopefully it does not become like the Ritz Carlton where after sometime, just service alone is not sufficient to survive.

Cheers!
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

Room: Room is in a sort of L shape, with a long hallway leading to the room. Size was ok. The room gave me a deja vu back to the Ritz Carlton Seoul room. Everything looks rather similar to the furnishing at the Ritz with just a slight touch of less classic touch. Initially upon entering the room, it was hot and smelled rather "old". After letting the AC run for 2 hours, i returned to the same situation, so called down to ask for someone to check. They needed another 2 hours to fix the AC which later improved it a lot. Bed was comfortable. Controls in the room was clearly from the 80's or 90's though still functional and actually quite unique to see such controls from the older times. TV was exactly the same one as the Ritz, with ok number of different channels although some senders were of poor quality.
Luckily although old, the lifts were rather efficient in bringing guests up and down without ever waiting too long.

Bathroom: Toiletries were by Aromatherapy Associates. It was showing it's age, though still functional and everything worked fine. Sadly the toilet is still not equipped with those electronic toilets. There was a walk in shower and a bathtub. Water pressure was good and good temperature control.

Lounge: Located on the 30th floor, the size is moderately big, though it can get very busy in the weekends for both breakfast and evening offerings. As like at the The Plaza, the evening session was very busy (they do limit children only to be until 6 pm - just before the bar is open - which is a welcome to not have children shouting or running around like other lounges). Although busy,they did manage to handle the situation, did see them send some groups down to other F&B outlets.
Both evening and breakfast selections were good and up to standard for such a hotel standard.

Staff: As usual, friendly and helpful staff - especially those at the lounge during the busy hours you could see them working hard to reduce the wait and replenish food and drinks and cleaning up fast.

Gym/Swimming pool: Although I did not use it, from the looks of it, a very well equipped gym and nice swimming pool.

Elite benefit: normal access to the lounge, use of gym, sauna, late check-out. One free pressing of clothing daily.

Generic: A good despite dated hotel with good connection via public transportation to different parts of Seoul. It would be a a great hotel if just that they updated it to other new JW's like those in Dubai or even China. Hopefully it does not become like the Ritz Carlton where after sometime, just service alone is not sufficient to survive.

Cheers!
Happens at a lot of the older hotels in Seoul, where, the AC system cannot keep up with the glaring sunshine from outside or they let the room bake for hours before the guests check in. If it bothers people then they should contact the hotel ahead of time and have them set the temperature to the lowest temp and highest speed. This helps a lot because no one likes stepping into a muggy hotel room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.