Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Seoul [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum,Hertz Pres Circle
22 Hours in Seoul

Hello-

I have 22 hours in Seoul next week and I am trying to decide between the Ritz Carlton and the JW seoul. Any recent experiences for a Plat?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:39 pm

Have spent quite a few nights at the JW, but never stayed at the Ritz, so cannot comment on that hotel. Usual perks at the JW for a Platinum - upgrade to the exec level. Not much else. Never been upgraded to a suite, but the regular rooms are nice enough. Exec lounge is very good for both evening drinks and breakfast.

Not sure what you are planning on doing during your 22 hour layover. JW is right on top of the intersection of 3 major subway lines, so if you are familiar at all with Seoul public transport, it is pretty easy to get around. By car, the location is not so good, as traffic on the street in front of the hotel can be pretty bad and make getting to/from the hotel a pain during busy times of the day. No major sites within walking distance (but believe that is the same for the Ritz also).

If you plan on just staying in the hotel, the JW has one of the best fitness centers of any hotel - huge exercise room, indoor pool, computer golf (hitting into a screen), etc. Lots of restaurants of all types.

Last edited by eastnortheast; Nov 17, 2012 at 3:48 pm
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would compare the logistics of getting to and from ICN. The best way is probably the luxury airport bus (called a limosene?) to the hotel, so check availability and schedules.

IIRC the RC is located across the river from the main part of the city, in a nice residential neighborhood but in a row of chain hotels. The street is pretty good for coming and going without really bad traffic most of the time, but a bad rain can make it terrible. When I stayed in this area, we took taxis to dinner at restaurants in other areas but not far away.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
RC and JW are only about a mile from each other, but the JW's transit connections are far better (I believe the station right next to the JW is one of the busiest in all of Seoul). Both are south of the river. Since you're only there for 22 hours, the logistics of getting to/from the hotel would be more important. If taking the train, the RC is simply 1 or 2 extra stops along the subway beyond the JW. I got upgraded to the exec level as a Gold, exec lounge was very good, though a little crowded at times. Very good service all around.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
22 hours is not a lot, unless you just want to head over to the hotel, sleep, eat and head back to the airport. You have a few transportation options, but all the options will take 1-2 hours minimum each way, with a taxi being the fastest.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:32 am

JW Marriott Seoul

I chose this hotel over the Ritz Carlton after I was flaly told that I would not be given any breakfast priviledges and no upgrade. When I inquired about the above, the woman who answered the email was dismissive, so I promptly cancelled and went with the JW.

I checked in late (after 10PM) so a seperate check-in wasnt available.

I was offered the platinum arrival gift, chose the points. They asked for my AAA card (first time overseas) and male FD agent told me I would be given a river room, I went upstairs...he lied, they gave me a regular room with cityview. I got on the phone and expressed my displeasure---in less than five minutes, I was given a 1 bdr suite with a river view.

They also have larger bathroom amenities 1.7 ounces, not the miniuture ones.

Fruit amenity-was also waiting in room.

Conceirge lounge --was open, good breakfast but not as good as the JW Bangkok or Renaissance Ratchaprasong.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:55 am

Thanks for your responses

Here's a brief report-

I landed and cleared customs in less than 15 mins. There are two buses available to the JW- one for 10K won and bus 6020, 15K won and is right outside at gate 5C. The 10K won bus has an infrequent schedule, whereas Bus 6020 runs every 15-20 mins and drops u off a block away from the JW.

I used metered (grey or white) taxis and they were very reasonable. The black taxis will cost u at least double if not tripple. I took a taxi to JJ Mahoneys, a new upscale club in the grand hyatt, cost-5k won-then went over to the Hongdae section--club hopped and went back to the hotel at 4AM

the next day, woke up for breakfast, used the hotel's gym--then took a taxi to Itaewon, had Soju and korean BBQ, went back to the hotel--packed --hoped on the 6020 bus to the airport, the bus takes about one hour each way.

Ritz--I reserved a room at the RC, to my surprise it was less than the JW. After I inquired about breakfast and an upgrade, I was flatly told NO! by email lady...so I promptly cancelled. The JW, initially gave me a regular room but after I complained, I was quickly transfered to a 1bdr suite. The FD clerk dude told me that I had a river view but after I went upstairs, no river view-guess he thought that since it was late and dark and I would not look for the river?

I had reserved the room under a AAA rate, they actually asked for and made a copy of the card, first time ever overseas.

Thanks for all your responses and suggestions and I hope this brief report helps someone else.

Last edited by gibraltar87; Nov 26, 2012 at 5:08 pm
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
If you read the other thread on this hotel, you will find that this property does not give suite upgrades to PLT members in general, so I would you got a nice upgrade. Enjoy your stay!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
the Ritz is correct - NO breakfast for golds/plats
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...s/guarantee.mi

if you had bothered to use the search function you would have found that none of your post is new news (including the OTHER thread you started on the same issue or do you just like to repeat yourself?)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post19747922
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...m-benefit.html

Originally Posted by gibraltar87
I chose this hotel over the Ritz Carlton after I was flaly told that I would not be given any breakfast priviledges and no upgrade. When I inquired about the above, the woman who answered the email was dismissive, so I promptly cancelled and went with the JW.

I checked in late (after 10PM) so a seperate check-in wasnt available.

I was offered the platinum arrival gift, chose the points. They asked for my AAA card (first time overseas) and male FD agent told me I would be given a river room, I went upstairs...he lied, they gave me a regular room with cityview. I got on the phone and expressed my displeasure---in less than five minutes, I was given a 1 bdr suite with a river view.

They also have larger bathroom amenities 1.7 ounces, not the miniuture ones.

Fruit amenity-was also waiting in room.

Conceirge lounge --was open, good breakfast but not as good as the JW Bangkok or Renaissance Ratchaprasong.

Last edited by BKKLEE; Nov 26, 2012 at 3:05 pm
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
the Ritz is correct - NO breakfast for golds/plats
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mem...s/guarantee.mi

if you had bothered to use the search function you would have found that none of your post is new news (including the OTHER thread you started on the same issue or do you just like to repeat yourself?)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post19747922
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...m-benefit.html
you need get a hold of yourself..I did use the search button and I am well aware of the above. Most of the threads on these hotels (JW seoul and RC) are very old so I decided to update with a new one. RC, as I am aware does not offer breakfast however, you can get some properties to give free comp breakfast (vouchers for some) if u speak to the manager or concierge. In this case, the concierge didnt seem open to persuasion...so I chose the JW.

As for the second thread--I have never been to seoul korea so the FT members gave me some advice for 22 hours of time. However, the thread was answered when I was in transit so I decided to give back with an update of my experience with a thanks to those who were gracious enough to answer me without being nasty or sarcastic.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:43 pm
Suspended

your current thread and duplicate 22 hours in Seoul thread post were BOTH posted today w/i minutes of each other.............

Use the Search Feature - link to this guideline
Before starting a thread, use the search feature to see if there's a recent thread on your topic

As for the second thread--I have never been to seoul korea so the FT members gave me some advice for 22 hours of time. However, the thread was answered when I was in transit so I decided to give back with an update of my experience with a thanks to those who were gracious enough to answer me without being nasty or sarcastic.

Last edited by BKKLEE; Nov 26, 2012 at 6:51 pm
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:01 pm

What r u the thread police?

You need to let this go and you seem to be the only one complaining
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:41 pm
Suspended

if you're flying into ICN on Korean Air they sell these tickets at a 20% discount onboard the flight.............

There are two buses available to the JW- one for 10K won and bus 6020, 15K won and is right outside at gate 5C. The 10K won bus has an infrequent schedule, whereas Bus 6020 runs every 15-20 mins and drops u off a block away from the JW.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:51 am

Thank you for the suggestion and I will certainly inquire about it, the next time I am flying Korean Air--possibly in six mos
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
I thought I read a thread or two before comparing JW Marriott Seoul with Ren Seoul, but I cannot find it through a search. So I post here.

I am in the process of Plat challenge, so I split my two nights in Seoul into one night at JW and second night at Ren.

JW upgraded me to a suite. It could just because the hotel was very busy. Some of my colleagues were put into smoking rooms even when non-smoking was requested at reservation. JW's gym is huge, just as others mentioned.

At Ren, I was upgraded to the Club level. Though it was strange I was given a room with two double beds.

The rates I booked include breakfast. Buffet at JW's 2nd floor restaurant is a lot better than the one at the restaurant in the lobby of Ren.

It was worth it for my mattress run, as the taxi was only $6 going from JW to Ren.
Otherwise, I will stick to JW in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.