Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Seoul [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Any recent reports on the enforcement or not of the alleged one-hour time limit for Executive Lounge access in the evening? Never seen such a thing at any Marriott property, but this language ("For rooms with Executive Lounge access, evening hors d'oeuvres accessed once per night for 1 hour") is shown prominently in my reservation (just noticed it!).
Old Mar 3, 2024, 7:52 am

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mynameisdmoon
Did a 4 night stay last week. Used SNAs to a regular King Suite (they called it the Griffin Suite). I had JW and LM booked, with plans of changing to LM if SNA didn’t clear (LM had no suites available). Luckily the SNA cleared so I went with the JW.

While I agree with EE in that it feels tired and uninspired, I didn’t mind it too much. It felt like I was staying at someone’s home than a hotel, in the comforting sense. The view of the river wasn’t much to write about but at least actually got a river view instead of being covered by buildings. The bed was indeed one of the best beds I’ve ever slept in. I miss it still (at the Josun Palace currently and let’s see if it matches up!).

I enjoyed the shower, and the wooden surface it has on the floor. Gave it a nice smell to complement the eucalyptus leaf scent from the body wash. The property was transitioning to using large bottle amenities instead of small take home ones and to keep guests happy, they gave us bags of the small amenities as gifts. The first bag they gave had no shampoo so they gave me another whole bag… which didn’t have shampoo either. OH WELL. The luffa they gave us was also rather nice vs the ones I received in other luxury properties. House keeping ended up giving us a few handful and I wish I got more!

The lounge breakfast was somewhat underwhelming for a property of this position but I enjoyed it. As a Korean the bulgogi + rice + kimchi combo was like eating at my mom’s and it was a comforting breakfast. Aside from this it has some simple mix of salad and western options and eggs. The French toast was nice though.

Evening Happy Hour was better than expected though I wish they restocked the items more often but to their defense I did arrive late both occasions. Seems like the DIY bibimbap is the staple (with no protein…), with rotating western/Chinese protein, and some other items such as soba which was nicely made. The desserts were nice and not too sweet either.

I made use of the great fitness facilities in the basement. While not the best quality of equipment (I’m a picky gym rat), it was the biggest and most extensive fitness facility by far and would easily please most guests. The pool didn’t seem very inviting though.

While the service wasn’t super enthusiastic and noticeable like in Josun Palace and in Japan, it wasn’t bad by any means. My partner left a dress and cardigan in the dresser after check out and few hours later they emailed me to notify us to pick up or to be shipped at our expense. I was luckily coming back to Seoul so they kept it safe for our return. During checkout we made use of our Marriott Gift Cards to cover the full balance and they even cashed out one of the cards for $30 instead of leaving it stranded! This was a very nice gesture whereas in Grosvenor House Dubai they just burned the entire card assuming I’d make use of the extra credits during my stay, with no option of cashing out. Kudos to the front desk team.

I also found the location to be fantastic. Away from the hectic Myeongdong, and right above a subway station where everything was a subway or two away, along with the express bus terminal if you planned on exploring the countryside like I did. Very convenient! Though the first few times you’ll most likely get lost in the luxury mall trying to navigate to the transit!

All in all if the rate I booked at Josun Palace wasn’t available, and the rate I booked remains (ie: only 30k KRW more than LM, and ~50k KRW cheaper than Westin), I’d gladly return again.
Completed my 8 night stay 2/2 - 2/11. Titanium Status
I booked the King Suite and did not receive any upgrades besides the complimentary Wine, Sauna/Pool access, fitness center, Dry cleaning discount, of course Executive Lounge access. If there was anything else they simply forgot to tell me.

Before the beginning of the trip I arranged for the hotel to pick me up at Incheon airport. The cost was comparative if I had booked a limousine taxi myself, only difference is they hold a name sign that has the JW Marriott logo and the car is a little nicer.
The driver radioed that we were arriving and the Hotel manager on duty greeted me at the curb and walked me through the lobby and up to the Executive Lounge hotel check-in. Nice touch.

Here it was a little weird. The executive lounge checkin desk feels congested, and if you arrive at dinner like I did, you got people walking around you with plates of food.
The normal front desk on the 4th floor is a million times nicer with its own cafe, lounge seating, and bottle service. If you ask me the service should be flipped where normal guests go to the Exec lounge checkin and the VIP go to the 4th floor.

My wife is borderline vegetarian and she loved the breakfast lounge food but I didn't. I have stayed at the Josun Palace and JW Dongdamun, my opinion this was the worst of the three.
But its not a fair comparison because Josun does not have a lounge and they simply give access to their buffet restaurant. Dongdamun does have a lounge but they also give access to their buffet restaurant for Platinum and higher.
If JW Gangnam gave access to their buffet restaurant on the 2nd floor then it would be a fair comparison.

For fitness, nothing is better than Josun Palace with its sky view fitness center. JW Gangnam is in the basement. Only thing going for it is that it is massive with a track and every machine you can think of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.