Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection, BVI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection, BVI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I think the whole area is "down" for large scale tourism for a good while.
True. Moving supplies is a challenge right now. Just getting systems back in place is going to take some time.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
My colleague, a platinum premier ambassador, is staying at the property right now with two other rooms under his name. It's his annual family vacation. This is the elite breakfast benefit:

He says they give you this box of junk food -- you get no choice -- at the restaurant. Anything else involves a charge.

I told him to report the property to Marriott, not that they'll care.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
My colleague, a platinum premier ambassador, is staying at the property right now with two other rooms under his name. It's his annual family vacation. This is the elite breakfast benefit:

He says they give you this box of junk food -- you get no choice -- at the restaurant. Anything else involves a charge.

I told him to report the property to Marriott, not that they'll care.
Amazing ... the marginal cost of providing breakfast for two can't be more than a couple dollars. The marginal revenue of a returning guest ....a multiple of hundreds. The marginal loss when he tells others ...hard to say but almost certainly more than the cost of two more people at breakfast.

can he post it on social media with a hashtag?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:11 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Scrub Island British Virgin Islands (Autograph) = Private and Secluded Resort

Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Scrub Island Scrub Island, VG VG1120

Scrub Island British Virgin Islands (Autograph) = Private and Secluded Resort (39 Photos)

I completed a stay at Scrub Island which was generally positive.  The hardware was not the most impressive but the combination of residential style with the secluded location and facilities made for a hotel where I would return.  

While the resort was in a somewhat remote location, our arrival experience could not have been smoother: upon exiting EIS airport a minivan promptly picked us up and brought us to the dock nearby and then it was a short boat ride to the hotel so door to door was less than 20 minutes.  Many resorts in the Caribbean are currently overly crowded but this one was definitely not.  Scrub Island is a private island where there is nothing other than the hotel. 

Occupancy seemed to be quite low, in fact most people we saw were marina guests (not hotel guests) who were allowed to use the hotel facilities such as the pool.  There will probably be some development on the island for years to come because they sell land and villas currently under construction but from the main building where we were, the construction was finished so we were not bothered by noise.  

IMG_2880.jpegIMG_2881.jpegIMG_2883.jpegIMG_2884.jpeg1_IMG_2889.jpegIMG_2890.jpegIMG_2897.jpeg1_IMG_2898.jpeg1_IMG_2862.jpegIMG_2876.jpeg

1_IMG_2885.jpeg

Room

I booked the basic room and received an upgrade as Bonvoy Ambassador Elite to a suite which was not only a lot more spacious than the normal rooms but also came with a full kitchen which was very convenient at this resort because there was a small grocery store on site including a fairly wide selection of wine and liquor at grocery store prices, not at elevated resort prices.  As it’s an Autograph hotel it was not quite luxury although the hotel is not cheap (used to be cat 8).  I believe the price point might reflect the isolated nature of the resort and the quality of the common areas, more so than the rooms which are a bit dated and nothing special except for the views which were nice.  

The reliance on the grocery store had its limitations however because they only receive new deliveries on Fridays so as we got to mid week they were running out of lots of items so we bought a few things a couple days before we needed them.

1_IMG_2843.jpeg1_IMG_2844.jpeg2_IMG_2845.jpeg1_IMG_2847.jpeg1_IMG_2848.jpegIMG_2849.jpegIMG_2850.jpeg1_IMG_2851.jpegIMG_2852.jpeg1_IMG_2853.jpeg1_IMG_2854.jpeg1_IMG_2855.jpeg1_IMG_2856.jpegIMG_2857.jpegIMG_2859.jpegIMG_2860.jpegIMG_2861.jpeg

Dining

I previously read about guests who were told there was no longer a Platinum breakfast benefit at this hotel which was puzzling to me.  Upon arrival I was not proactively told anything but after I asked I was given coupons to hand the server each morning.  The restaurant had most seating indoors but a few tables outdoors as well which was sufficient given how quiet the restaurant was but during times of high occupancy people might be disappointed to be forced to sit inside.  The breakfast was ok but definitely non-luxury and could have used an a la carte menu but it was buffet only with a live egg station.  

1_IMG_2867.jpeg1_IMG_2868.jpegIMG_2869.jpeg1_IMG_2870.jpeg1_IMG_2903.jpeg

Beach and Pools

The hotel had a couple of pools, one with views and one lower down the stairs with a slide.  About a 10-minute walk away we could get to a small beach which was also accessible via hotel cart.  The beach itself was fine but stepping into the sea would have required some shoes because the floor was rocky.  There was another small pool in that location and a bar as well.  

1_IMG_2871.jpegIMG_2874.jpegIMG_2875.jpegIMG_2882.jpeg1_IMG_2887.jpeg1_IMG_2888.jpeg

Service

Service was generally good during our stay with the lone black mark being that one day I specifically called before going to breakfast to ask for housekeeping to be done while we were in the restaurant but when we came back the room was not done at all.  This is becoming quite a widespread problem many hotels in my experience during the last 2-3 months so I would not say that this issue is specific to Scrub Island.

Wifi

Wifi was sometimes spotty with speed of 10 Mbps.

Overall

Overall Scrub Island is a solid hotel and we liked having the ability to do home cooking and our own laundry while being in something more exclusive and more upscale than a Residence Inn or a Marriott Executive Apartments.  If I did not receive a suite upgrade I would possibly feel differently because the non-suites do not have a kitchen and then it would be necessary to rely on F&B at the hotel which was not a strong point.  

Scrub Island British Virgin Islands (Autograph) = Private and Secluded Resort

Would you like to write a review on the Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.