Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Attachments to specific Bonvoy brands?

Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold

Hi, all - apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I am interested in hearing the opinions and stories of others. I've been doing a lot of reflecting on my travels recently and believe that I may have found a specific trend - I love Westins. I seem to have significantly positive experiences at many of them, even when they are dated. Westin Seattle, Westin Tempe, Westin Harbour Castle, and of course, the Moana Surfrider have all been fantastic stays this year. Some of these hotels are poorly reviewed, but I love them, and I have been trying to figure out why.

Upon reflection, I think I am undeniably attached to the Westin brand. I was speaking with my parents yesterday and talking to them about my current room at the Westin Harbour Castle. They asked me "what hotel is this?" - I responded "Westin", and they said "Oh, we love a Westin." It's true - growing up, my family and I spent a lot of our travels in Westins. During the pandemic, I spent many nights in Westins around my home state to get a change of scenery. The smell of the soap, the weight of the Heavenly duvets, even the font of the logo - all of these things stir up so many positive feelings for me.

Of course, great beds and great showers are a massive point of attraction for me and Westins (that have kept Heavenly duvets on the beds) will always win on that front, but I still think the nostalgia and positive memories will always boost my current perception of my Westin stays.

Does anyone else have any brands they are attached to or stories they would like to share?
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Stay at the Westin SFO - that'll tarnish the shine.

I've been quite happy with all the Le Méridiens I've stayed in, and Four Points in Asia is a really good brand as well.
BearX220, KRSW, Rondelltg and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Stay at the Westin SFO - that'll tarnish the shine.

I've been quite happy with all the Le Méridiens I've stayed in, and Four Points in Asia is a really good brand as well.
I'll put it on my list!

LM is an interesting one - also generally poorly reviewed in the US at some of the remaining properties. Though, I quite enjoyed my only LM stay in Columbus, Ohio - funky design and an Eames chair!
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:58 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

When I clicked on your thread title, I thought, anything but Westin, so pretty funny coincidence that this is the brand you prefer. I guess it starts with the weird Westin smell in the lobby, continues with the leafy soap, to say nothing of the really terrible condition of some ancient Westins I stayed at — Paris, Tokyo, Seattle, Dresden, Taipei, Nagoya, Leipzig, Macau (some now thankfully deflagged). There are like 3 Westins I’d genuinely consider worth staying at, Hapuna Bay (because of the beach, best hotel beach in all of Hawaii IMO), Nagoya, and Hamburg. Other than that, what a dreadful brand! Different strokes for different folks, I guess…
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpdx
When I clicked on your thread title, I thought, anything but Westin, so pretty funny coincidence that this is the brand you prefer. I guess it starts with the weird Westin smell in the lobby, continues with the leafy soap, to say nothing of the really terrible condition of some ancient Westins I stayed at — Paris, Tokyo, Seattle, Dresden, Taipei, Nagoya, Leipzig, Macau (some now thankfully deflagged). There are like 3 Westins I’d genuinely consider worth staying at, Hapuna Bay (because of the beach, best hotel beach in all of Hawaii IMO), Nagoya, and Hamburg. Other than that, what a dreadful brand! Different strokes for different folks, I guess…
This is why it's so interesting! You even mentioned Seattle, which was one of my favorites this past year!

Perhaps, I really am just kooky - after all, I preferred the Westin Harbour Castle to the Ritz and STR in Toronto.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
I’m quite attached to the hotels that aren’t in North America. For example, W and EDITION in Europe and the Middle East have some great hotels staffed by excellent people. Meanwhile, in the USA, they are trash. I used to think I liked these brands but it turns out I just like some of their hotels.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The superior legacy Starwood brands (that have now been kneecapped)…Westin and LM for work stays (aloft in a pinch too), StR and LC for vacations.
KRSW and Radiation Station like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The superior legacy Starwood brands (that have now been kneecapped)…Westin and LM for work stays (aloft in a pinch too), StR and LC for vacations.
Luxury Collection is another good one - at least, in the US, they seem to focus on a very solid hard product without the price tag of STR or RC. There's definitely a reason I've stayed at many of them.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Basically the better legacy Starwood brands. In particular properties that existed in the days of Starwood. For me that's Westin, Le Meridien, and to a lesser extent W (when I was younger I loved them, now I'm not sure). I have stayed in a few LCs but I wasn't often blown away, and I've stayed at one St. Regis and again not blown away. For me I don't see a lot of extra value between a Westin vs a more luxurious brand. Just more nickle and dime for overpriced amenities.

I want a clean, semi luxurious, upgraded suite, without too many extra charges (and reasonably priced wings and beer at the hotel bar), and a free $60+ breakfast, with 4pm checkout. And I want that for $200 a night or less.

Otherwise I'd rather just stay home at my luxury apartment with great ocean and mountain views. I must be getting old.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Just had another stay a Westin Crystal City (just west of DCA airport). Been there half a dozen times already in the last two months...will be back there again in two weeks. I did the walk to/from the airport both ways.

I like Westin overall, along with Aloft, Springhill.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
So far I've never been disappointed by RC and StR. Also very positive experience w/ JWM Marriott. I use Marriott mostly for my work trips.

W hotels great in the Middle East and Europe, waste of money in the US.

Re/ Westin, I've only stayed in dated properties so far - Westin San Diego was my last one - so I am actually avoiding them.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I love Westins.
I am there with you -- when i traveled more regularly for work in the late 90s and 2000s, Westin was my go-to. W was probably more targeted to my age at the time - but I am neither hip nor cool. I just wanted a comfortable bed and a nice workspace along with my SPG benefits.

Most of my SPG points usage went to more aspirational LC properties but also had several great Westin vacation/redemption stays in places like Cape Town, Kyoto, and Berlin. My best points redemption value ever (for any type of airline/hotel points) was at the Westin Monache Mammoth over Christmas 2016 - .08/point. And I got married in St. Thomas and we went over to the Westin St. John's for a few days after - so definitely a fondness for the brand.

I just booked the W Brisbane for a trip next month because I can use my annual Amex FHR credit plus a Chase 35k cert -- but it took several days before I committed to it as the Westin Brisbane is probably a better fit for our family stay.

On the legacy Marriott side, Renaissance is in that vein for me - have had many great stays over the years at Renaissance Hotels from my first time visiting San Francisco and staying at the Parc 55 in the late 90s to my last pre-pandemic trip at the Ren Hong Kong with an amazing view over Victoria Harbour. And going forward I tend to look at the Autograph Collection properties in a market -- have several nice stays at AC branded properties the past few years.
KRSW and ElevatorEnthusiast like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:38 pm

I’m a fan of Westin hotels so long as they aren’t overly dated. Four Points in Asia-Pacific are fantastic - the one in Auckland could easily be a Ritz Carlton. Not so much a brand, but I’ve long been partial to Autograph and Luxury Collections, though there are some duds, too. Typically prefer Autograph and Luxury Collection in mid-tier markets where they are usually the best in the market and don’t break the wallet (or my per diem). Aloft also has been consistently good for me.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Duck1981
W hotels great in the Middle East and Europe, waste of money in the US.
I may have to try one in Europe. I hate W in the U.S.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I have also also enjoyed Westins - Chosun in Seoul, the de-branded Taipei, Bund Centre in Shanghai, Bayshore in Vancouver.
Mont Tremblant, Frankfurt, and even the Westin Bangkok was useful for mattress runs from the SGS while I was earning my
Lifetime Plat status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.