Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Marriott, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brisbane Marriott, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
great place

I have been there about 10 times in the last 3 years. Excellent facility, great location and views.

The lounge has a great view, great staff and has a good selection at breakfast and a great happy hour with complimentary (all in AU are) beverages which include some pretty good (not excellent) wines.

Quick walk along the river to anyplace in town.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by number5858
Can anyone report on the hotel and the executive lounge?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...light=brisbane
Old Apr 19, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: MR Plat., AC*E
Marriott Brisbane - what to expect as a Gold?

Going to be at the Marriott in Brisbane over next couple weeks -- first time checking into a property as a Gold. What can I expect in terms of upgrade possibilties, arrival gifts, free breakfast, etc?

I see some posts about compensation if certain things are not offered? Is there a definitive guide to this?

Does this property offer free wifi for golds/platinums?

Thanks,

Mapleloaf
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Any info to share?

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Going to be at the Marriott in Brisbane over next couple weeks -- first time checking into a property as a Gold. What can I expect in terms of upgrade possibilties, arrival gifts, free breakfast, etc?

I see some posts about compensation if certain things are not offered? Is there a definitive guide to this?

Does this property offer free wifi for golds/platinums?

Thanks,

Mapleloaf
Dear Mapleloaf--

I was going to post a similar question (only as Plat) because we are staying at this property in early Nov for 6 days.

Hopefully, YOU can provide some of the information that you wish you had before your stay. Apparently, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the property.

The good thing about Marriott status is that as Gold, I believe you have the same privledge of executive lounge access as the Plat do.

I would love to hear how you liked the hotel and anything else you would share without a fellow traveler.

Thanks.

Dawn
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
As a gold expect an upgrade to the CL level and CL access. Australian CL's have free booze although the Brisbane lounge does not have self pour spirits one needs to ask the attendant (who is not always there) which is a little annoying. Nice hotel with the updated AV panels etc.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Stayed there last November and it's a lovely property. The lounge, from what I recall, has two complimentary computers right outside the lounge, and snacks throughout the day. The usual morning and evening routines as well.

As a plat, I walked in around 8am and they already had my room ready for the day, which was wonderful so I could take a quick shower before toodling about the city. Staff was amazing.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
Just finished an 11 night stay at the Marriott Brisbane July 17 2009. My thoughts and observations on my stay at this hotel:

- As a Platinum, was upgraded from a City View to a River View room. Floors 25-28 are Concierge/Executive level (lounge is on 26). Offered the typical Plat amenities.
- Lounge is open 24 hours. Coffee, tea, soft drinks, available 24 hours. Great breakfast and evening spreads. This was a very comfortable, light, roomy lounge and spent a lot of time doing work in there - which I don't normally do. Was nice to get a Long Black coffee, sit by the windows with views of the Brisbane River, and try to do a bit of work.
- Pool and workout facility on 4th floor. Pool is inside, but 3 walls are glass and open up. Was a bit chilly when I was there and one wall of windows was open. The pool is heated. Workout room had a nice view of the river and bridge.
- Staff was great at every interaction. Arrived at the hotel around 11am and was able to check in early with no problem.
- Ended up leaving my laptop charger in the hotel. They were able to track it down and hand it off to a colleague staying at the hotel after I left.
- Location is great - easy walk to Eagle Street Pier (restaurants and bars), CityCat Ferry Terminal, and Queen Street Mall (shopping etc).
- Internet was a bit expensive. AUD$99 for one week.
- Valet parking is $38 per night. Platinums get free Valet Parking! This was according to the welcome letter I got when I checked in. I tried it one night when I had a guest over and sure enough - no charge on the room.

All in all, great hotel, great location, and most importantly, friendly attentive staff. I'll be back there again in August.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:39 am

Free valet but pay for internet?

Originally Posted by AceAirspeed
Just finished an 11 night stay at the Marriott Brisbane July 17 2009. My thoughts and observations on my stay at this hotel:

- As a Platinum, was upgraded from a City View to a River View room. Floors 25-28 are Concierge/Executive level (lounge is on 26). Offered the typical Plat amenities.
- Lounge is open 24 hours. Coffee, tea, soft drinks, available 24 hours. Great breakfast and evening spreads. This was a very comfortable, light, roomy lounge and spent a lot of time doing work in there - which I don't normally do. Was nice to get a Long Black coffee, sit by the windows with views of the Brisbane River, and try to do a bit of work.
- Pool and workout facility on 4th floor. Pool is inside, but 3 walls are glass and open up. Was a bit chilly when I was there and one wall of windows was open. The pool is heated. Workout room had a nice view of the river and bridge.
- Staff was great at every interaction. Arrived at the hotel around 11am and was able to check in early with no problem.
- Ended up leaving my laptop charger in the hotel. They were able to track it down and hand it off to a colleague staying at the hotel after I left.
- Location is great - easy walk to Eagle Street Pier (restaurants and bars), CityCat Ferry Terminal, and Queen Street Mall (shopping etc).
- Internet was a bit expensive. AUD$99 for one week.
- Valet parking is $38 per night. Platinums get free Valet Parking! This was according to the welcome letter I got when I checked in. I tried it one night when I had a guest over and sure enough - no charge on the room.

All in all, great hotel, great location, and most importantly, friendly attentive staff. I'll be back there again in August.

Thanks for reporting back. I'm happy to hear some updated information. Everytime someone posts a question, people always remind them about searches; however, in so many cases, the last post in that particular thread was 2+ years ago! We know how things can change in six months--let alone two years!!!!

Anyway, I am a little bit disappointed about the internet fees. That is ridiculous. We won't be driving....too bad you can't pick free internet over free parking! Parking is even more expensive!!!!

Thanks again....

Dawn
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
don't know if there's free wifi in the lounge (i was on vaca and didn't take my computer) but there are two free computers immediately outside the lounge for easy net access.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:19 pm

Laptop....

Originally Posted by MemphisQueen
don't know if there's free wifi in the lounge (i was on vaca and didn't take my computer) but there are two free computers immediately outside the lounge for easy net access.
If you would have asked me even a year or so ago if I would ever take my laptop with me on vacation, I would have told you, H*LL NO!!!!

But when I think of my laptop, the furthest thing from my mind is "work." I can't imagine not having it on vacation anymore. I WANT to take it on vacation--I HAVE to take my work laptop with me on state business.

For me, the laptop has replaced the need for finding a way to make phone calls (cell phone is pretty basic--$35 a month, and I have no intention to upgrade at this point in time)....reservations, hiking trails, restaurant reviews, you name it. I can't imagine NOT having it. It is most definitely not at all related to work in my mind. It used to be--so I totally understand why someone connects the two.

When we went to Barbados in February, boy did my laptop come in handy. Not only on the awful flight to/from, but I downloaded a handful of full length movies on Itunes before I left (most $3.99) and we watched a couple really great movies on vacation. We had so much fun...odd sounded, but we did. I'm a little hard of hearing on one side (otosclorosis), so I like to watch movies with my ipod earbuds. I actually watch tv at home using a Jensen Linx and I can move freely about the house/garage and not lose signal (no wonder these darn things go for $180 on ebay when you find them!)

Can't imagine vacationing with out it anymore. Also, we always use it for our music on Itunes as well, or radio stations on the internet!!!

Something I did last time was download all of my photos as I dumped the disk. Really cool. We usually vacation for at least 14 days, so there is some nice, downtime here and there.

No big deal....it is a small price to pay for internet. I'd rather have my own computer any day of the week, plus I'll use it on the 14 hour plane ride!

Dawn
Old Oct 31, 2009, 6:09 am

Not anymore....

Originally Posted by simong
As a gold expect an upgrade to the CL level and CL access. Australian CL's have free booze although the Brisbane lounge does not have self pour spirits one needs to ask the attendant (who is not always there) which is a little annoying. Nice hotel with the updated AV panels etc.
Pour your own spirits now....not sure when that changed, but it is out there for everyone to help themselves. Also, a "drink" of the night is always featured with all the ingredients and instructions on how to make. Kind of neat...although I never acquired a taste of liquor....beer and wine gal.

Tonight the drink was "Tom Collins." But there is other alcohol (including free flowing champagne/red/white wine and all the beer you can drink) at your leisure as well.

Wifi is free...personal laptops are everywhere (in the exec lounge). Used to be an anomaly.....now it is just as common as seeing cell phones. Lounge is never crowded and run amuck with kids, etc. Very nice...quiet, subdued...kind of what you would hope the lounge would/should be but usually isn't.

Speaking of cell phones...I just realized that the cell phone usage (the obnoxious part of walking/talking/screaming into the phone in every public place possible) is very minimal here....in general. Perhaps the Australians are just a bit more civilized when it comes to being intrusive into other's space....very nice actually.

Dawn
Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:46 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Anyone know what has happened to this lounge with regards to the latest cutbacks, is it still a nice one?

Have a single night in Brisbane before we go to Surfers Paradise, this is in December on a weekday night.

At the moment far more tempted by the Hilton (which is ~AUD$100 cheaper) as I'm diamond there as well as being Plat at Marriott - though the Marriott seems like a good hotel the Hilton has a nice lounge writeup and apparently good service.

Also, anyone had any experience of an early checkin at this hotel? Our flight arrives at 8am or so in Brisbane - we'll spend the day sightseeing but its always nice to be able to check in (very) early!
Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Would suggest looking at this much more up to date thread (updated this month).. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...pect-gold.html
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Ahh, FT search!

Thanks Simong
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Brisbane Marriott: WARNING if staying on Friends and Family rate

I checked into the Brisbane Marriott and they told me that I was not entitled to lounge access on Friends and Family rate. I told them I was and that they should call Marriott Rewards. They did, apologized, and gave me lounge access. They indicated that this was a recent change, to which I replied nicely, "No, it's not".

Fast forward to points posting. I only received points credit for a $24 AUD charge which they converted to $24.30 USD for points posting purposes which actually should have been $24.59. I wish they would use the same conversion rate when I pay. I also did not receive points for the $566.47 in room rate charges or any night stay credits. This is the first time this has happened when using the Friends and Family rate. I called the Platinum Guest services twice... which was another disappointing experience matched only by their web site updates.

So when I called Platinum Guest Services I get this new Voice Mail tree that says it can understand sentences. The only thing I can say about this is that it must have been designed by the same idiot who downgraded the Marriott.com home page a year ago and the Marriott Reward Accounts web page a couple months ago.

You can asked for an agent, the most expeditious way to get through, but it does not ask you for your Marriott Rewards number so puts you in the regular queue. The first time I called the wait was only a few minutes. Today when I called, I first tried asking it about missing points to which it took its time telling me about my last 5 stays that posted. Obviously it did not understand a simple 2 word statement, "Missing Points". I tried to press 0 to escape the phone's incessant talking to no avail. I also tried saying agent, but that didn't work. After the phone finished its monologue of my past 5 postings, I said Agent and it put me on hold with a message that the wait time was 10 minutes. I hung up and called Plat Reservations who put me through to an agent at Guest Services.

Marriott Concierge: Marriott is doing a really great job of frustrating its clientele. If there is anyway you could assist me in resolving my points posting I would appreciate it. If there is anyway you could educate the Brisbane Marriott, even better. If there is anyway you could remove the totally annoying phone tree at Platinum Guest Services that would be great too. When is Marriott going to replace the slow and resource consuming home page?
bdschobel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.