Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Just checked in to JWKL today. Got upgrade to duplex suite (nice but no pool access) and the manager told me upon check-in that there's now a free cocktail hour for golds & plats at the olive restaurant bar each evening between 5 an 6pm if i recall correctly.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Staying there at the moment. I don't understand why some posters were concerned with lack of status recognition. We received room upgrade to pool access family room, they offer free buffet breakfast and there are free cocktails/drinks for gold and platinum members every day from 6pm to 7pm which decently compensates for absence of executive lounge.

Other thoughts:
Positives: swimming pool is enormous. Free wireless Internet covering entire hotel territory, including beach and pool areas. Great staff always willing to go "extra mile".
Negatives: lots of families with small children (noisy) in main pool area (given that hotel have special pool area for kids that's just arrogant
Food quality decent in Thai restaurant, not so good in Italian one.
Positively nothing around except 3-4 small beach restaurants. Hotel offers shuttle to Kao Lak village but at ridiculous cost of 100thb per person each way (which makes it more expensive than taxi for a family of 3).

Overall, positive experience, will not hesitate to return.
Ax
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: Sindbad Gold, Etihad Guest Silver, Qatar Privilege Gold.
I would recommend the Renaissance, because the staff are amazing.

My colleague stayed at both in Dec and she agreed. JW is slightly more luxe in a traditional fashion of course and has more facilities and so forth.
Renaissance is a more modern and stylish. The staff are quite friendly and informal if they become aware that that is your style (if you prefer more formal, they do stay that way).

I agree that the dining options are limited and not cheap, but that's often the way in resort hotels. There is the Sala Phuket next door for variety, which is v stylish and swanky.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
local dining options

There also other local dining options. There several local places between the JW and the Sala. Also a pub at the Turtle Village shopping mall as well as a coffee shop. A little further away is Kin Dee and then several places just across the bridge off the island.

Local taxis will take you to these places further away or you could rent a car.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
a word to the wise - just avoid the ripoff restauarant below the bridge (north side)

Originally Posted by qwest01
There also other local dining options. There several local places between the JW and the Sala. Also a pub at the Turtle Village shopping mall as well as a coffee shop. A little further away is Kin Dee and then several places just across the bridge off the island.

Local taxis will take you to these places further away or you could rent a car.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
@BKKLEE

thanks for the input on these places in Thailand - i've already been in HKT 2x in 1 year. i definitely referenced your posts in planning out where to go. might give DPS a whirl next time I'm out in Asia and am pining for some beach time though, but will definitely go back to Phuket. 1st time the JW KL, last time the Ren. Overall, i think i liked the JW KL better.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:18 am
Suspended

Just left after a 3-night stay where we were upgraded to a Duplex Suite (last time we were upgraded to a river pool access room). Obviously 90SM is more then adequate space however a few comments:

- night light under neither bed end table worked
- no light in upstairs closet where safety box is located making it difficult to see to open
- stair lights include spot over top landing which is very distracting if you want to keep stair lights on at night
- switch to turn on stair lights at top landing located down 2/3 steps.......... switch is not incondecent or have night light built in so easy to fall down to the landing if you don't remember the steps
- coffee maker located in cabinet next to mini-frig however no plug for coffee maker either on top of cabinet or on kitchen table opposite it. Although there's an electrical outlet on right side of the TV desk, the plug will not bend sufficiently to install it so left with only one option, use the electrical outlet on the floor between mini-bar cabinet and TV
- the electrical outlets located only 4 inches/10cm's off the floor have no spring caps to protect childrens fingers (they should use same spring caps as they do in the outside walkway)
- still no Exec Lounge, but offered unlimited drinks in lobby bar from 5-6PM on 1-night only (of 3-night stay)
- ate at Sakura Japanese rest 1-night............ honestly, Fuji (local chain rest) makes better Tempura udon
- ate at Olive (Italian/Med) on another night. Wifes scallop app dry and her mixed seafood main nothing to write home about. My seafood soup very good. My lamb joint main fell off the bone, but the masked taters needed alot of pepper to get it to have any taste. The chocolate lava for dessert was GREAT
- breakfast table now serves up salmon trays without having to ask specifically for it. Asking omlette makers (and I speak Thai) to fry up LEO nearly impossible as they are overly anxious to put in the eggs without allowing the onions to brown
- checkout bill delivered the night before we left with deliverer continuously ringing the bell, notwithstanding "Do Not Disturb" sign on. Easier to just put the bill under the door regardless of sign on/off
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Just left after a 3-night stay where we were upgraded to a Duplex Suite (last time we were upgraded to a river pool access room). Obviously 90SM is more then adequate space however a few comments:

- night light under neither bed end table worked
- no light in upstairs closet where safety box is located making it difficult to see to open
- stair lights include spot over top landing which is very distracting if you want to keep stair lights on at night
- switch to turn on stair lights at top landing located down 2/3 steps.......... switch is not incondecent or have night light built in so easy to fall down to the landing if you don't remember the steps
- coffee maker located in cabinet next to mini-frig however no plug for coffee maker either on top of cabinet or on kitchen table opposite it. Although there's an electrical outlet on right side of the TV desk, the plug will not bend sufficiently to install it so left with only one option, use the electrical outlet on the floor between mini-bar cabinet and TV
- the electrical outlets located only 4 inches/10cm's off the floor have no spring caps to protect childrens fingers (they should use same spring caps as they do in the outside walkway)
- still no Exec Lounge, but offered unlimited drinks in lobby bar from 5-6PM on 1-night only (of 3-night stay)
- ate at Sakura Japanese rest 1-night............ honestly, Fuji (local chain rest) makes better Tempura udon
- ate at Olive (Italian/Med) on another night. Wifes scallop app dry and her mixed seafood main nothing to write home about. My seafood soup very good. My lamb joint main fell off the bone, but the masked taters needed alot of pepper to get it to have any taste. The chocolate lava for dessert was GREAT
- breakfast table now serves up salmon trays without having to ask specifically for it. Asking omlette makers (and I speak Thai) to fry up LEO nearly impossible as they are overly anxious to put in the eggs without allowing the onions to brown
- checkout bill delivered the night before we left with deliverer continuously ringing the bell, notwithstanding "Do Not Disturb" sign on. Easier to just put the bill under the door regardless of sign on/off
I hope you have made the GM aware of all these points - without feedback there is no improvemnet.

As for the Exec Lounge - well it is a vacation resort so I would not expect there to be an exec lounge, would you?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 4:20 am
Suspended

yes, Ty, their GM made aware of my points

map of the hotel (stayed their last year too) shows Exec Lounge which hopefully by next year will actually be......... just because it's a resort doesn't mean no Exec Lounge; ie Pattaya Marriott Resort has always had one

I hope you have made the GM aware of all these points - without feedback there is no improvemnet.

As for the Exec Lounge - well it is a vacation resort so I would not expect there to be an exec lounge, would you?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Mai Khao guests using JW pools

Hi there. We're owners as Phuket Beach Club, but are staying at the next door Mai Khao for a stay later on this year The last time we stayed, there was a lot of "cross-contamination", let us say between the two sites, with many people using all the facilities at both sites - including the pools, despite which accomodation they were staying at.

I've heard that Mai Khao Beach Club guests are not "allowed" to use the JW pools, but wondered if anyone had recent experience of how they police this?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Yay another Beach Club Owner! We were told (during our stay last year) that Mai Khao guests could not use JW or Beach club pools.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:52 am

That is correct.

There are signs posted at the JW pools to advise that Mai Khao Beach Club guests may not use the pools and other facilities. Also I understand that you are told this when you check in. When we checked in to Phuket Beach Club we were advised that we could not use the pool at Mai Khao ( as if we would want to!!!).
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
There are signs posted at the JW pools to advise that Mai Khao Beach Club guests may not use the pools and other facilities. Also I understand that you are told this when you check in. When we checked in to Phuket Beach Club we were advised that we could not use the pool at Mai Khao ( as if we would want to!!!).
I like to think of the Mai Khao pool as exclusive , but we liked the freedom we had when we were there last time to choose any pool we wished! Funnily enough, staying a PBC we chose on lots of occasions to jump on the golf buggy and spend the day at the The Mai Khao. We liked that it was smaller, and we also liked the deli being so close you could just wander across for a latte etc. probably human nature though - you always want to be where you're not staying.

I wonder if we're banned from joining in the family activities planned at the JW as well - like the circus skills etc. - my son was just a bit too young the last time we were there, but would love it now!

I wonder if, as a multi-plat week holder we'll have much clout - I doubt it somehow!

But on my original point, they don't have a visual policing policy as such, to prevent MKBC residents using the JW pools. No wristbands (as you see in some of the US VC properties) or anything like that. I suppose if you're brazen enough to park yourself down, they're unlikely to risk the scene and ask you to move - especially if it's quiet around the pool. After all, we drink and eat when we're there - so why not!?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by thegamebird
I like to think of the Mai Khao pool as exclusive , but we liked the freedom we had when we were there last time to choose any pool we wished! Funnily enough, staying a PBC we chose on lots of occasions to jump on the golf buggy and spend the day at the The Mai Khao. We liked that it was smaller, and we also liked the deli being so close you could just wander across for a latte etc. probably human nature though - you always want to be where you're not staying.

I wonder if we're banned from joining in the family activities planned at the JW as well - like the circus skills etc. - my son was just a bit too young the last time we were there, but would love it now!

I wonder if, as a multi-plat week holder we'll have much clout - I doubt it somehow!

But on my original point, they don't have a visual policing policy as such, to prevent MKBC residents using the JW pools. No wristbands (as you see in some of the US VC properties) or anything like that. I suppose if you're brazen enough to park yourself down, they're unlikely to risk the scene and ask you to move - especially if it's quiet around the pool. After all, we drink and eat when we're there - so why not!?
You are right there is no visible policing of this rule. Indeed this week friends staying at Mai Khao joined us at the JW pools (we are in PBC). However as for eating and drinking - you might find it difficult to get the drinks and food charged to your room and the pool staff are really only set up to do room charges. Best bet would be to use the JW Pool at the northend - closest to Mai Khao and then use the JW Deli for lunch. As for drinks we are liberally supplied with glasses of iced water for free by the pool staff at all the JW pools.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:52 pm

You are right there is no visible policing of this rule. Indeed this week friends staying at Mai Khao joined us at the JW pools (we are in PBC). However as for eating and drinking - you might find it difficult to get the drinks and food charged to your room and the pool staff are really only set up to do room charges. Best bet would be to use the JW Pool at the northend - closest to Mai Khao and then use the JW Deli for lunch. As for drinks we are liberally supplied with glasses of iced water for free by the pool staff at all the JW pools.
Thanks for this. When occupying our weeks at PBC we often nip to the deli for lunch anyway, so no hardship there - super yummy! ^

Looking forward to our MKBC stay actually. We managed to get a very cheap week via an Interval getaway. Seriously reduced cost vs Marriott website. Curious if we'll be able to earn the stay as nights - but will definitely try!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.