Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

St. Regis Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Good review, I have also done quite a few WA / StR back to backs, and lots of plus and minuses between them. Must admit, and perhaps because I'm very regularly at the StR, I am almost always upgraded to a StR suite (23 floor) or a CA suite (24 or 25 series) from a standard room, and those suites are much more impressive than what the WA offers; the WA 06/07 series suites are very nicely done, but not particuarly spacious and essentially no view. Re connectivity, there should be a Geneva sound system next to the bed in each suite at the StR (and I think a JBL speaker in all rooms). WA has a iHome speaker if I recall. The laundry benefit at StR is indeed very good. Breakfast at WA is in a different league and StR is fairly mediocre. WA spa is nice (new) but small, StR spa is much bigger with proper rest areas, and same for pools. Just for completeness, let us not forget that the WA gives Diamonds a 1000 THB dining/bar credit, a 1000 THB spa credit per stay, which I always find time to use :-) and 100% bonus points. Hard for me to say which is best overall ... probably still the StR for the recognition they give and the "welcome home" feeling, guaranteed 4pm late check-out, and small things like flowers in the room (usually several types in the suites) and air purifiers / humidifiers on-demand.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:47 pm
kkl

They need to change the ala carte breakfast menu.been the same the since 2018
Old May 12, 2019, 8:56 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by EGW1
I am almost always upgraded to a StR suite (23 floor) or a CA suite (24 or 25 series) from a standard room, and those suites are much more impressive than what the WA offers
Whoa, from standard room to StR suite or CA suite, that is one heck of an upgrade. ^

My most recent upgrade at StR was quite nice already, and it's good to know that possibly if I increase my number of stays at StR rather than spread the wealth around so much between many hotels in Bangkok, my upgrades at StR could be even better... in that case yes I would become comparatively more positive on StR and I would be more inclined to overlook the weaknesses. Right now I am satisfied with StR but I see some pluses and minuses, as (almost?) all properties in Bangkok, which is why I end up being a butterfly and experience different hotels rather than stick with one.

By the way I meant to thank you personally, it is based on your progressively improving feedback in the WA thread that I finally decided to try it. I was in a wait & see mode before that, so thanks for contributing with your views in the WA thread and here as well
Old May 12, 2019, 9:05 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escape4
Whoa, from standard room to StR suite or CA suite, that is one heck of an upgrade. ^
Same. They treat return elites very, very well.
EGW1 and escape4 like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Same. They treat return elites very, very well.
I see below your name that you were SPG Plat. Are you now Marriott AMB?
Old May 12, 2019, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I I was glad to get the Met Suite because I was curious to see how that room type looks like. I do not know if my memory fails me, but I thought the Grand Deluxe room I had in November was perhaps renovated more recently than the Met Suite. Perhaps the hotel is not old enough to have done renovations yet, and instead the explanation could be that there has just been more wear and tear in the suite I had, anyway I thought the condition of the suite was a notch below my room a few months ago unless I am mistaken. Nothing drastic but it did not seem as spotless as the Grand Deluxe: some stains on the carpet and chairs for example.
The Metropolitan Suite I was in briefly earlier this year also had stained upholstery. I was not impressed and would rather have a Grand Deluxe room (unless I really needed the separation between living and bedrooms).
I am almost always upgraded to a StR suite (23 floor) or a CA suite (24 or 25 series) from a standard room, and those suites are much more impressive than what the WA offers; the WA 06/07 series suites are very nicely done, but not particuarly spacious and essentially no view.
The Caroline Astor Suite is spectacular.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The Metropolitan Suite I was in briefly earlier this year also had stained upholstery. I was not impressed and would rather have a Grand Deluxe room (unless I really needed the separation between living and bedrooms).
So I am not losing my mind, the Grand Deluxe room are indeed in better shape than the Met Suite (or Grand Met Suite), sounds like you made a similar observation. Were the Grand Deluxe rooms renovated recently?
Old May 12, 2019, 11:47 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Good review, I have also done quite a few WA / StR back to backs, and lots of plus and minuses between them. Must admit, and perhaps because I'm very regularly at the StR, I am almost always upgraded to a StR suite (23 floor) or a CA suite (24 or 25 series) from a standard room, and those suites are much more impressive than what the WA offers; the WA 06/07 series suites are very nicely done, but not particuarly spacious and essentially no view. Re connectivity, there should be a Geneva sound system next to the bed in each suite at the StR (and I think a JBL speaker in all rooms). WA has a iHome speaker if I recall. The laundry benefit at StR is indeed very good. Breakfast at WA is in a different league and StR is fairly mediocre. WA spa is nice (new) but small, StR spa is much bigger with proper rest areas, and same for pools. Just for completeness, let us not forget that the WA gives Diamonds a 1000 THB dining/bar credit, a 1000 THB spa credit per stay, which I always find time to use :-) and 100% bonus points. Hard for me to say which is best overall ... probably still the StR for the recognition they give and the "welcome home" feeling, guaranteed 4pm late check-out, and small things like flowers in the room (usually several types in the suites) and air purifiers / humidifiers on-demand.
Another point not touched on yet: WA "rooftop" bars are far better than StR.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
... it's good to know that possibly if I increase my number of stays at StR rather than spread the wealth around so much between many hotels in Bangkok, my upgrades at StR could be even better...
I would imagine that it's like that at most 5* hotels. If you stay someplace frequently enough, you become one of the property's better (read: more valuable) customers and should be treated better. Isn't that the philosophy behind affinity programs, anyway?
Old May 12, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
I think a number of rooms have been touched up recently...I noticed new carpets (rugs) in a couple of the rooms and walls looked freshly painted. Last time I was in a Grand Deluxe was a few weeks ago, and it looked good. Last time I was in a Met Suite was a year ago so can't really comment. Perhaps the Met Suites are heavily used and also by families, whereas the Grand Deluxe are more likely solos or couples, less wear and tear? The 02 series Grand Deluxe rooms are best, they are bigger, and I'd take one of those over a Met Suite (as I did a few weeks ago), unless I really wanted the extra space.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So I am not losing my mind, the Grand Deluxe room are indeed in better shape than the Met Suite (or Grand Met Suite), sounds like you made a similar observation. Were the Grand Deluxe rooms renovated recently?
Don't know. The furnishings in the CA suite I had last year were absolutely pristine.
escape4 likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
Another point not touched on yet: WA "rooftop" bars are far better than StR.
Indeed, you can find a nice 'snug' in the bar, and upstairs at the Champagne bar has the extra wow factor with the 'secret' entrance and walkway etc. But I almost forgot that StR does have the 6pm sabering for elites, which is nice to meet other members and have a glass on the balcony.

Last edited by EGW1; May 13, 2019 at 12:02 am
Old May 12, 2019, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I would imagine that it's like that at most 5* hotels. If you stay someplace frequently enough, you become one of the property's better (read: more valuable) customers and should be treated better. Isn't that the philosophy behind affinity programs, anyway?
I think so too. Being a regular at any property coupled with membership is where you really see value and recognition. I also tend to eat in hotels (room service) for dinner, so my overall spend is probably a bit higher than average. I'm sure they take all of these things into consideration.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:10 am

I think a number of rooms have been touched up recently...I noticed new carpets (rugs) in a couple of the rooms and walls looked freshly painted.
Yes they are painting. In early March I was put in an StR suite that was freshly painted and smelled strongly of that.
I'm sure they take all of these things into consideration
Properties absolutely track overall spend and will categorize return guests on that basis.

Although there some problems when the SPG properties had their data dumped by Marriott late last year.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I think if you and I were hotel managers, this is indeed what we would do. However not all hotels execute this properly, unfortunately. Or they would like to, but some just do not have enough suites and/or premium suites to make it happen so it becomes a moot point. Or perhaps you could say if a hotel does not have enough specialty suites then is it really 5*...

I am glad to read from others that St.Regis treats its repeat customers extremely well, they have the hardware available and the willingness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.