Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance London Heathrow LHR Hotel, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Reception: [email protected]
Other: [email protected]

Property underwent renovation in 2015-2016, so no longer a dump. Exec lounge open on the weekends.

You do not need to pay for the Hoppa to get to the property. You can take some public buses (ie, 105, 111, 140) to/from the Ren, as it's in the 'free zone'. The Heathrow free travel zone has been suspended indefinitely effective January 1, 2021. Standard fares now apply.

Print Wikipost

Renaissance London Heathrow LHR Hotel, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Likewise, charging for parking. It’s Heathrow, everyone charges to park! Heck, the they even spruced up the carpark during the renovation, at no small cost, so yes, when the Ren was a dump, the carpark matched!
What makes it annoying is they sell parking to both non-guests and guests who do a park-and-stay option. As a result, parking is very, very limited. When I stayed on a Friday night the parking lot was probably 95% full. But most annoying was charging for parking when clearly you didn't need to pay to park because you could leave the hotel without having a validated parking ticket.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Abscam
It appears to be undergoing a renovation but it is long in the tooth at a minimum that is for certain. There is only paid wireless so so much for gold or platinum status. The rooms, while clean and orderly were classic English cramped. Old tube tv and a hair dryer that looked to be Orwellian. The mini bar, the kind that if you touch you get charged, was empty and you had to call to get it filled.

The lounge was nice but of course not stocked, it's Friday, so although you might have status mon-thurs, you have no status on the weekend, and the two computers were second rates as well...mice barely responsive, monitors brownish and only one connected to a printer. No free wireless anywhere in the hotel.

A single restaurant with a weak buffet. However my fillet of sole was quite good, ordered off the menu.

All in all it was adequate for a layover but really not a very good reflection on Marriott.
British Airways uses it to put up their passengers when they have flight delays. One of the worst hotels ever. We were put up here once several years ago and it was so bad we checked out and paid out of pocket to stay at the Sheraton. Glad to see they the renovated it as it was needed. Motel 6 would have been an improvement, no disrespect.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:57 am

We stayed there one night in May 2018 and thought the hotel was fine. We drove there from the airport at night in the rain, and the hotel was somewhat difficult to find. We could see it, but couldn't figure out how to get to it. Once there, we were pleasantly surprised. Yes, it looks dated in a funky sort of way, but our room was good. The lounge was large, with good attendants. Breakfast the next morning provided everything we could have wanted --- definitely better than it could have been. The parking issue was annoying. If it wasn't as good as the usual Renaissance, it was a big upgrade from lesser Marriott brands and convenient to the airport. We would stay there again.

Last edited by pqflyer; Jun 14, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
One of the worst hotels ever. We were put up here once several years ago and it was so bad we checked out and paid out of pocket to stay at the Sheraton.
Leaving aside the usefulness of information based on one emergency stay several years ago, it makes no sense that anyone would move to the Sheraton which, at the time, would have been equally bad if not worse. Unless you meant the Sheraton Skyline instead? Anyway...
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:49 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott LTT
This has always been one of my favorite hotels, even when it was "a dump". I don't really think it was a dump, it was an airport hotel with a lot of miles on it.

All the rooms are updated now, the lounge is on the large side, breakfast great, but for me this place has always been about the people.

It is a magnet for plane spotters, they pay to use the parking lot and the lounge. I can't imagine it, they are totally into it and always willing to discuss what they are doing, why, and tell you all about the next plane coming in.

The staff there, at least the bellmen, have been there a long time, and are the best. I walked in on a fairly quiet Sunday night one time and a voice behind me said, "Good evening sir. Shall I take your bags to your room and you to so and so's flat to watch the Raiders?". I had not been there for at least six months, a few months prior I went to one of the bellman's (so and so) flat to watch a NFL game with several of them. I turn around and it's him. I've done that three times, really great guys at and away from work.

So, I very much like that hotel, interesting people to be met and it's always cheap, too. And the airport rental car shuttles will drop you there even though it's not a stop.
Lizie likes this.

Last edited by mncnc; Jun 14, 2018 at 12:40 am
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:13 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Does anyone happen to remember the hours for evening wine in the lounge? Is it 5-7pm or 6-8pm?
It is 5 to 9 according to what I was told at check-in today. Some people were definitely getting wine after 8 pm. the plated appetizers (and I REALLY HATE that way of doing it) are only served before 5 and 7 though. there was dessert still out after 8 pm. it is also interesting to note that the dessert at 8 pm (cheesecake) was not the same as the dessert at 5:30 pm (chocolate cake).
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:16 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
And, at least when I stayed, you didn't need to pay to park because you could exit without a paid, validated ticket.
Many of the hotels around LHR seem to be going to ANR - Automatic Number Recognition. If you don't give them your plate number when you check in they might boot / clamp your car overnight or even have it towed.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:24 pm
stc

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
My experience, pathologically resistant to Platinum, or PP suite upgrades. Last few years also pathologically resistant to platinum upgrades other than somewhere on the third floor. ...
Yes, this. The last 3 or so times I have stayed there (about twice a year) I have gotten random 3rd floor rooms far from the lounge. Not really an upgrade. And no runway view. I have a very nice view of Bath Road at the moment. At least the soundproofing in this room is good. I don't think it was as good in the last Bath Road room I had last December. In fact, being on the 2nd floor close to the lounge and being able to take the stairs would probably be better. Also the fact that they are doing plated appetizers in the lounge (like County Hall) really annoys me.

I just made a reservation for next April, but I'm going to cancel it and stay at the Sheraton Skyline instead. I just hope Marriott doesn't ruin that hotel. It has some really nice quirky features between the swimming pool bar and the elderly lady who lives there - I wonder if she still has a cat.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by stc
Many of the hotels around LHR seem to be going to ANR - Automatic Number Recognition. If you don't give them your plate number when you check in they might boot / clamp your car overnight or even have it towed.
This property gives you a "paid" ticket to insert into the machine.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stc
Also the fact that they are doing plated appetizers in the lounge (like County Hall) really annoys me.
I have a feeling that Marriott is testing this out, but regardless it is very disappointing. At the Marriott County Hall, you can't get seconds without paying. At the Renaissance Heathrow, I don't know if they will give you seconds.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:13 pm
stc

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I have a feeling that Marriott is testing this out, but regardless it is very disappointing. At the Marriott County Hall, you can't get seconds without paying. At the Renaissance Heathrow, I don't know if they will give you seconds.
IDK (I don't know). Given the Marriott LHR just did a big renovation to create an "M Club" and didn't do this while the Ren LHR is not Marriott managed but is doing this, it all seems random to me.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Just wrapping up a one night stay here — arrived at LHR on the AA day flight from Chicago last night at 1045 and was here less than an hour later. Took the (free) city bus from Terminal 1/2/3 to get here - Nene road is the third stop and this hotel is across the street. There was a decent crowd in the lobby bar when we arrived, check in was quick and unremarkable.

My wife and I are traveling with our two year old; you cannot book 3 people in a room online but when I called the hotel directly they said the 3rd person was fine as long as under 12 years old. They did warn the room would be crowded and it is, but it’s fine.

I know LHR has a curfew, but still - this is one of the quietest airport hotels I’ve been in. I haven’t heard a single plane even after flights restarted this morning. Our room is facing Bath Road, I’m not sure if that helps or hurts.

Breakfast in the lounge is very basic: cold cuts, fruit, cereal, and pastries. Nothing hot. However, we were told we could also have breakfast at the restaurant for a better selection. I think we are going to skip that in favor of letting our son sleep in so won’t be able to report on that.

All in in all this was just fine for a one night airport stay, completely unremarkable.

Last edited by River in Sight; Jul 4, 2018 at 1:56 am
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:18 am

Also just did 1 night here, overall very nice property. Like River in Sight said, the lounge breakfast was very light but they offer a full restaurant breakfast to Gold/Platinum members as well so I can't really hold that against them. I had booked a basic room but was given a runway view on the 3rd floor (Same as executive lounge), I'm guessing it might have been an upgraded room type since it was fairly large.

My only complaint was that check in was a train wreck - They had no one working the Elite line, even though they had the carpet and ropes set up, and so the people who lined up there were being ignored in favor of the regular line. When someone finally yelled at the 3 front desk clerks about this, they basically froze and the manager had to come out to check in elite members. He proceeded to open a register on the opposite side of the desk from the Elite line, so everyone with status had to shuffle through the regular line with luggage. Just awkward for everyone involved.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PrancingPonyGoldMember
Also just did 1 night here, overall very nice property. Like River in Sight said, the lounge breakfast was very light but they offer a full restaurant breakfast to Gold/Platinum members as well so I can't really hold that against them. I had booked a basic room but was given a runway view on the 3rd floor (Same as executive lounge), I'm guessing it might have been an upgraded room type since it was fairly large.

My only complaint was that check in was a train wreck - They had no one working the Elite line, even though they had the carpet and ropes set up, and so the people who lined up there were being ignored in favor of the regular line. When someone finally yelled at the 3 front desk clerks about this, they basically froze and the manager had to come out to check in elite members. He proceeded to open a register on the opposite side of the desk from the Elite line, so everyone with status had to shuffle through the regular line with luggage. Just awkward for everyone involved.
When I stayed I was told guests who check in using the Marriott application could avoid the line by going to the single-desk concierge stand closer to the front door, which, if memory serves, had a small online check-in sign.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:26 am

@hockeyinsider.

Yes I've used the small desk concierge system. Unfortunately you then have to get back to the front desk if you want to put the usual £50 credit on your account or pay for your parking which kind of negates the whole process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.