Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Hotel Website: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
Official List of Cosmopolitan Bonvoy Elite Benefits: https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/marriott-bonvoy-at-the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the only charges that qualify for Points are as follows:
- Room rate, room service food and beverage, in-room movies, phone calls and in-room minibar purchases
- Points cannot be earned on any other purchases at hotel outlets or for hotel services

The Cosmopolitan is a "resort," so basically the only elite benny is a possible upgrade. Elites are not exempt from the resort fee

Resort fee is $39+tax effective 01/01/2019. Also as of that date, parking (self & valet) is complimentary for hotel guests.

Cosmopolitan is exempt from providing free wifi to Plats per Marriott's T&Cs, however it is included with the mandatory $39 daily resort fee so there is still no extra charge to any guest for using it.

Platinums receive:

* use of Platinum check-in area (to the left of main desks)

* Platinum arrival gift is $10FB coupon or 1,000 points

* room upgrade (space available) - better luck on mid-week stays than weekend stays. sometimes a 'sandwich' (ie, bribe) to front desk does the trick.

* free tea/coffee 6am - noon in the plat lobby check-in area

* Wicked Spoon: Marriott Rewards Platinums (and PPs) get to use preferred line and get 15% discount when staying at the property. Just show your MR Plat or PP card.
You can book through Virtuoso as well as Amex FHR for complimentary breakfast buffet at Wicked spoon.

Resort fee:

* $39 (+ tax) per day for resort fee, which includes gym access, local + long distance calls, Wifi, pool access. The resort fee is not waived.

Receiving Bonvoy Points for a Stay:

Many have reported needing to follow up to have Marriott Bonvoy points manually posted post stay (they do not typically post automatically.) A tip is to email [email protected] shortly after a stay asking them to manually forward your folio to Marriott Bonvoy for processing.

Hat tip to billycwhatup for this:

* Identity points and MR points can not be earned on the same stay

Other tips

The Terrace Suites are the most common room type and are classified as studio and one bedroom, with options for King, 2 Queens with or without a fountain view. They are essentially the same size, however (10 sq ft difference), but the layouts differ.

The King Studio Suite has a standard bathroom with shower and tub, a living room area with large sitting area and an L shaped sofa and the bed is in a separate area, though not separated.

The King One BR Suite has the same kind of living room area, with the bedroom separated by sliding doors and the bathroom is larger, with a "soaking tub".

If you get a terrace suite of any kind with 2 Queens, the living area will be smaller.

And unless your room type is described as "fountain view", you aren't guaranteed it, though Platinum status will get you upgraded on check in if they have one available.

If you book any of these room types and want to aim higher, I would try a giving the receptionist a 50$ "sandwich", and ask if any wraparounds upgrades would be available. If they say yes, there is a good chance that it will be a wraparound facing south-east or south-west, which for me would be a no go. Taste in view is personal of course, but for me the fountain-Eiffel tower view are so much nicer than the south facing views. Also when you would have the choice between a low level wraparound or high level terrace suite, I would still take the high level terrace suite, because a number of floors on the east tower are blocked by the big Bellagio sign. (see youtube vids).

If you really want a high level wraparound then you probably would have to pay, which can sometimes be not that much. If I'm not mistaken I think they offered me a wraparound at 150$ per night more, but we originally booked a 1 bedroom terrace room without view.

Last tip : If you would get the choice of wraparound I would definitely take a high floor east tower one, facing north-east. That would give you bellagio fountain + eiffel tower view, but also a good portion of the south strip.

Print Wikipost

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: Dust...
Originally Posted by tony53994
...Has anyone stayed in the Terrace Angle?...
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Sounds like you're familiar checking in at Cosmo if you have 80% success rate sandwiching. Assuming you're visiting when they aren't at capacity I wouldn't spend the extra money now--save that for the front desk sandwich. If it fails, you can upgrade when you check in.

The angle simply refers to a location in the west tower (the tower closer to the valet/front desk than tower to the east which sits on Las Vegas Blvd). For $44 it is most likely the studio, not the suite that is being offered. You may want to double check on that it has second bathroom for the $44. The couch and sofa are not guaranteed in the Cosmo rooms. Some have traditional couches while others have pullout beds (they aren't anything special btw).
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:36 am

Thanks for the insight symbol. Yes, I usually see if any of the room types are sold out, and if there are conventions/major happening during my stay prior to check in. I had a stay early Feb, and got a wrap-terrace for just a $50 sandwich. I think the other thing that might help is I usually arrive on a weekday, Weds or Thur. The one time I didn't get upgraded they were at capacity, all room types sold out for 2 of 3 days of my stay, and I arrived on a Friday.

The eStandby upgrade noted two bathrooms, I also called to confirm. The main bath has a Japanese tub like the terrace one-bedroom. The other bathroom is a 3/4 bath with shower only. The couch is nice to have for having a few guests over. The one picture shown looks like there are just two arm chairs. In terms of size it states that it is 760 sq ft. So sort of in between a Terrace Studio/One bedroom and a Terrace Suite. The downfall (for me) is that it is only in the west tower. One bonus is that it guarantees a fountain view.

I don't think I'll request the eStandby, but I might ask about the terrace angle when I check in and see if they can be more details about the room. I'll still shoot for a NE facing wrap-terrace in the east tower though. Haven't managed that one yet! Best I've received so far was NW. Will report back on my next visit in about a month!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:48 am

I'm not really sure if this is a tip, but I did have a great experience with Marriott's best rate guarantee. Happen to have checked rates on Kayak, which I never did before. Noticed that Kayak had a lower rate (~$40/nt for a 4 night stay) than both Marriott/Cosmo's sites. Booked it on Marriott submitted the form (refundable so no risk). Less about 12hrs letter I get an email saying that they've adjusted my rates!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Just a note on upgrades, you will now see the 1 category upgrade the next day after you make your reservation. Just look it up by your Cosmopolitan confirmation number on the cosmo website. This is something they started to put into place i think back in June. They use to do it the day of arrival.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
Just a note on upgrades, you will now see the 1 category upgrade the next day after you make your reservation. Just look it up by your Cosmopolitan confirmation number on the cosmo website. This is something they started to put into place i think back in June. They use to do it the day of arrival.
MNAudi24, is that in regards to the eStandby system? That's great to know! I'll be sure to check the day before my arrival. Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by lucycan
I had a poor experience here. I failed to get a wake up call 3 days in a row among other small issues. They had me speak to a customer service rep for like 20 min on how they could do better but then never offered anything for compensation. When I suggested they throw some point my way they said they'd "get back to me within 24 hours" but never did.
Their wake up call system is completely automated.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
I made a reservation on the marriott website for a stay later this night (3 nights, wraparound terrace suite). I know there is not much to upgrade when you're already paying for a wraparound, but do you think it would be easy to get a high floor above the fountains as a platinum?

Also, it's irritating that 1) I never received an email confirmation from marriott when I made the reservation and 2) the marriott confirmation number is different from the cosmopolitan confirmation number and 3) only the confirmation number I don't need is listed on the marriott website.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:04 am

I just completed a stay and was generally underwhelmed. It wasn't horrible by any stretch but IMO it was a major step behind the Aria in virtually every category.

Check-in was smooth - the "Autograph Lounge" to the left of the main check-in desk was helpful.

I was upgraded to a studio suite with a nice terrace overlooking the Bellagio fountains. Room was OK - not great. The "king" bed was not a king - queen maybe. Remote on one of the two TVs did not work (it wasn't the battery, it just didn't work). Housekeeping was simply bad. Like everyone else, shampoo was not refilled. (At a certain point, this clearly is the implementation of a policy as opposed to just lackadaisical housekeepers). Towels (with two people in the room) were insufficient.

That said, there were definitely some good things. The restaurants were by and large excellent. The "secret pizza" place on the third floor was both hilarious and wonderful for those "I could use a slice of pizza right about now" moments which are not infrequent in Las Vegas. I'll also say that I was able to use a ton of gift cards that I had acquired at a healthy discount. So meals, the room and even $1K worth of tickets to a fight which I charged to my room were both point-earning (assume they post) and discounted (because of the gift cards).

The service was generally somewhere between good enough and downright nasty. I was there on a conference rate that - for whatever reason - did not allow the resort fee. I realize for most (me included) the resort fee is dreaded. In this case, I was required to pay the internet fee ($15/day for crappy speed) and the gym fee ($20/day or - as I later learned - $50/3 days) a la carte. The woman at the gym took great pleasure in snarkily telling me - every day in the same tone - that she would add the fee to my tab. Again, the room rate was good but there's just something about paying $20 to use a treadmill that chaps me.

All in all, the hotel was fine in the context of being there for a conference. It's also fine in its ability to allow you to earn/redeem points. However, like everyone else has mentioned, there was no particular love as a Platinum and nothing particularly spectacular about either the hard product or soft product.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by billycwhatup
I just completed a stay and was generally underwhelmed. It wasn't horrible by any stretch but IMO it was a major step behind the Aria in virtually every category.

Check-in was smooth - the "Autograph Lounge" to the left of the main check-in desk was helpful.

I was upgraded to a studio suite with a nice terrace overlooking the Bellagio fountains. Room was OK - not great. The "king" bed was not a king - queen maybe. Remote on one of the two TVs did not work (it wasn't the battery, it just didn't work). Housekeeping was simply bad. Like everyone else, shampoo was not refilled. (At a certain point, this clearly is the implementation of a policy as opposed to just lackadaisical housekeepers). Towels (with two people in the room) were insufficient.

That said, there were definitely some good things. The restaurants were by and large excellent. The "secret pizza" place on the third floor was both hilarious and wonderful for those "I could use a slice of pizza right about now" moments which are not infrequent in Las Vegas. I'll also say that I was able to use a ton of gift cards that I had acquired at a healthy discount. So meals, the room and even $1K worth of tickets to a fight which I charged to my room were both point-earning (assume they post) and discounted (because of the gift cards).

The service was generally somewhere between good enough and downright nasty. I was there on a conference rate that - for whatever reason - did not allow the resort fee. I realize for most (me included) the resort fee is dreaded. In this case, I was required to pay the internet fee ($15/day for crappy speed) and the gym fee ($20/day or - as I later learned - $50/3 days) a la carte. The woman at the gym took great pleasure in snarkily telling me - every day in the same tone - that she would add the fee to my tab. Again, the room rate was good but there's just something about paying $20 to use a treadmill that chaps me.

All in all, the hotel was fine in the context of being there for a conference. It's also fine in its ability to allow you to earn/redeem points. However, like everyone else has mentioned, there was no particular love as a Platinum and nothing particularly spectacular about either the hard product or soft product.
Being platinum, shouldn't the internet be free?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:23 am

Not a "resort"
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:35 am

Folks - I'm heading here for a convention during the week and am only a Marriott Silver. What are the chances of getting upgraded to a terrace room?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:11 am

I think purely a function of your "sandwiching" and occupancy as opposed to anything silver in color.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:18 am

ok, i had previously heard sandwiching just doesn't work at the Cosmo but I'll try it out
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta PM
I received an offer for 4 comp nights in a Terrace Studio. I already had a paid night booked in the same room so I was able to add the 4 nights in front and link the reservations so I don't have to change rooms..... now....

Does anyone have experience/success offering a sandwich on a comp stay? Naturally they offered me a low cost "paid" upgrade on the phone, which I declined. I could be inclined to offer a $100 sandwich asking if any wraparounds are available however I"m concerned if it was a success it may not count for my final "paid" night.... I def don't want to switch rooms. Any thoughts you might have on this situation would be welcomed.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by billycwhatup
I think purely a function of your "sandwiching" and occupancy as opposed to anything silver in color.
Originally Posted by sam007
ok, i had previously heard sandwiching just doesn't work at the Cosmo but I'll try it out
My experience with the sandwich at Cosmo is that it depends who is checking you in. I usually try to check-in with a younger guy. But if it's busy they will direct you to a desk. When I have had someone receptive to the sandwich, it seems they WILL do it if they have the availability. I mean, if there is nothing better or matching what you are asking for (I always ask for terrace suite or north facing wrap around, pref east tower), then there isn't much they can really do. I always try to be nice and go in not expecting to get more than what I am paying for. Usually they will give you options too. On one trip I was paying the fee to check in early, there was a wrap around available immediately, but it was facing south, which doesn't work for me. View is important to me, I'd rather have a smaller room with the view. But he said there was a wrap-around on the NW corner, NE is better, but it's N, that would be available in a few hours if I didn't mind waiting and he'd of course take off the early check in since I wouldn't be using it. Luckily, another NW wrap around literally popped up ready to go so I didn't have to wait. It was even a few floors higher than the one I was going to wait for. I sandwiched $100, and gave him an extra $20 at the end for that one because I really felt like he did his best to get me what I wanted. I think the guy next to him check in 3 other guests while I was there. So it definitely took some time!

But I always book a room I will be happy with, and if the sandwich works...Then awesome! If you are going for a special occasion and would be upset if you didn't get a specific room, then I'd say just book the room out right and not risk it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.