Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:34 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
The property is very accommodating with meals and activities, you can choose when you want them as long as they don't exceed your allowance. The meals can also be used for room service and you can pretty much order anything you like without limitations.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by IrishStephen
They sure are except for beverages ...
do you know if they offer the water or tea or juice for free ?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:59 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Yanhui Leung

do you know if they offer the water or tea or juice for free ?
Juice is free for breakfast and before activities in the lobby.

Coffee/tea and water are free all day long.
Yanhui Leung likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Al Maha is the only property in the Dubai conservation reserve area which makes up 5% of the entire Emirate. The area is owned by Emirates and the hotel has been managed by Starwood (Marriott) for a decade.

I took advantage of what must surely be an unsustainably low 66,000 Marriott points a night rate for a weekend here. The rate includes full board (breakfast buffet and a la carte, a 3 course lunch, afternoon tea and a 5 course dinner) as well as 2 activities per day. Cash rate at the moment is running around $1,800 a day. As a Plat Premier Ambassador guest I was upgraded to a "premium" Bedouin villa - Actually not a "real" upgrade in terms of pricing, but the villas facing out in the same direction as the restaurant have a significantly nicer view and more privacy than some of the others. I was in villa 9 which was one of the best of those and would definitely recommend it to anyone on a future stay. I believe villas 3-12 are those facing out over the plain and the oasis, with villa 9 and potentially villa 11 appearing to have the best views.

I really enjoyed my stay at the property and would absolutely recommend it, especially for anyone still able to get something like the same rate I did (I heard some others have got nights at 60,000). Service was consistently excellent, food was nice, they really do take their conservation seriously and there aren't (m)any places in the Marriott portfolio where standard rooms have such nice large pools. The property reinforces the Luxury Collection as my favourite Marriott brand delivering a variety of quality options at up to the highest level.

I would say this stay was disrupted at a low or moderate amount by Marriott's botched integration with Starwood. Email contact between the property and my Ambassador apparently ceased working about 1/2way through my pre-arrival arrangements. This meant that I was never able to get a response to my Your24 request (in the end the hotel did let me check in early) and I almost arrived at DXB without an arranged pickup. I've taken to being paranoid and assuming the worst, so I contacted the hotel myself to ensure that the pickup was booked - which it was not. Secondly, on checkout the system was malfunctioning and so I was not able to get the usual invoice at checkout (I've learnt to no longer rely on the email invoices as they seem to be permanently broken). In the end I got a photocopy of the overnight invoice, with final stay expenses written on by hand and with a calculator. The staff were professional throughout, but these IT issues are now way beyond a joke.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Oct 14, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:45 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I took advantage of what must surely be an unsustainably low 66,000 Marriott points a night rate for a weekend here. The rate includes full board (breakfast buffet and a la carte, a 3 course lunch, afternoon tea and a 5 course dinner) as well as 2 activities per day.
Thanks for the review. I am surprised that a points redemption is for full board at this property!? Plus 2 activities?

I must reconsider how to use my points before cat 7 becomes cat 8 in the next few months.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Al Maha is the only property in the Dubai conservation reserve area which makes up 5% of the entire Emirate. The area is owned by Emirates and the hotel has been managed by Starwood (Marriott) for a decade.

I took advantage of what must surely be an unsustainably low 66,000 Marriott points a night rate for a weekend here. The rate includes full board (breakfast buffet and a la carte, a 3 course lunch, afternoon tea and a 5 course dinner) as well as 2 activities per day. Cash rate at the moment is running around $1,800 a day. As a Plat Premier Ambassador guest I was upgraded to a "premium" Bedouin villa - Actually not a "real" upgrade in terms of pricing, but the villas facing out in the same direction as the restaurant have a significantly nicer view and more privacy than some of the others. I was in villa 9 which was one of the best of those and would definitely recommend it to anyone on a future stay. I believe villas 3-12 are those facing out over the plain and the oasis, with villa 9 and potentially villa 11 appearing to have the best views.

I really enjoyed my stay at the property and would absolutely recommend it, especially for anyone still able to get something like the same rate I did (I heard some others have got nights at 60,000). Service was consistently excellent, food was nice, they really do take their conservation seriously and there aren't (m)any places in the Marriott portfolio where standard rooms have such nice large pools. The property reinforces the Luxury Collection as my favourite Marriott brand delivering a variety of quality options at up to the highest level.

I would say this stay was disrupted at a low or moderate amount by Marriott's botched integration with Starwood. Email contact between the property and my Ambassador apparently ceased working about 1/2way through my pre-arrival arrangements. This meant that I was never able to get a response to my Your24 request (in the end the hotel did let me check in early) and I almost arrived at DXB without an arranged pickup. I've taken to being paranoid and assuming the worst, so I contacted the hotel myself to ensure that the pickup was booked - which it was not. Secondly, on checkout the system was malfunctioning and so I was not able to get the usual invoice at checkout (I've learnt to no longer rely on the email invoices as they seem to be permanently broken). In the end I got a photocopy of the overnight invoice, with final stay expenses written on by hand and with a calculator. The staff were professional throughout, but these IT issues are now way beyond a joke.

thank you for review. We were thinking of doing 5 nights (with a kid) as we can use points and get 5 night free (though kid is extra $500 usd + a night) ..

Is that too long? Activities good? My little loves African safaris so is patient if activities fun. I caled and they said they have camel, falconry, can, archery and walks.

.we have been to Dubai so not looking to go into city - just a cool place to relax and learn a bit
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
5 nights feels a bit too long for me, especially with a child in tow. The activities are high quality but limited and mainly only at 5am and 6pm (depending on time of year).

I think 2-3 nights is right (2 only with an early arrival and late departure) and so i’d probably do 3 nights at Al Maha, then 1-2 at the Westin on the beach or one of the other beach/ city hotels for something different.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Also keep in mind no children under 10 years of age are allowed. They are quite strict about this.
Happy and margarita girl like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
I was thinking the same, but I decided that since I'm already paying for 3 nights might as well add one more to get 5th one free.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Although tempting for the 5th night free, I woudln't do that with a child. As a romantic getaway perhaps although IMO the activities are somewhat limited and after 3 days you will ahve done them all with 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM. So with kids I would say no for 5 days (3 is the max), but with a romantic time yes to 5 days as you can basically have your pool and villa as one with nature and skinny dip till your heart's content. haha.
Happy and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:36 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by schley
Although tempting for the 5th night free, I woudln't do that with a child. As a romantic getaway perhaps although IMO the activities are somewhat limited and after 3 days you will ahve done them all with 1 in the AM and 1 in the PM. So with kids I would say no for 5 days (3 is the max), but with a romantic time yes to 5 days as you can basically have your pool and villa as one with nature and skinny dip till your heart's content. haha.
Regardless of children being above 10, I wouldn't go there with children full stop.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold, GHA - plat
Can I please ask those that booked this property for 60.000 to list amenities (dinner/breakfast etc.) they have received?
I need to rebook my 66.000 redemption but I am only offered 60.000 over the phone (which is great,of course) but the agent is not sure as to what is included in this rate. Any recent data points?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:31 am

I took the view that I wasn’t going to risk a booking and/ or hundreds of dollars of benefits just to save what was 2,000 SPG points a night, but obviously up to you! I’d be pretty confident that the 60K rate is meant to have everything as well, but add a 5% chance someone makes something up and a 10% chance that your booking gets lost entirely as you change it.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SHLTP
thank you for review. We were thinking of doing 5 nights (with a kid) as we can use points and get 5 night free (though kid is extra $500 usd + a night) ..

Is that too long? Activities good? My little loves African safaris so is patient if activities fun. I caled and they said they have camel, falconry, can, archery and walks.

.we have been to Dubai so not looking to go into city - just a cool place to relax and learn a bit
5 nights definitely are too long. This is NOT in a Safari setting. It is just happened that it is located in the protected reserved area where you can see the Arabic Oryx and other deer family creatures coming and going freely.
2 to 3 nights would be more than enough even you partake in all the activities offered.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dimon84
Can I please ask those that booked this property for 60.000 to list amenities (dinner/breakfast etc.) they have received?
I need to rebook my 66.000 redemption but I am only offered 60.000 over the phone (which is great,of course) but the agent is not sure as to what is included in this rate. Any recent data points?
The property is a full-board property. The reservation agent probably makes a mistake. I have read many writings on the 60K booking. The difference seems to be due to slightly different villa type (better location for example.) IMO, this is the only real "bargain" in the high end SPG properties among all the others that become available at the 60K+ until Jan 1 2019 - due to the cost to get there is not big (unlike the French Polynesia or Maldives) and it is very secluded (unlike the Santorini properties), with Full Board included. The dinner alone would be worth the "value" of the 60K Marriott pts. Next to it would be the properties at Venice due to their superb locations and the fact that it is Venice.
dimon84 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.