Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Skywards Gold
Perfect. Probably about 30-32 degrees and sunny.

Zoom and Teams are not restricted in the UAE and are used extensively. Only FaceTime.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DXBPlat
Perfect. Probably about 30-32 degrees and sunny.

Zoom and Teams are not restricted in the UAE and are used extensively. Only FaceTime.
Thanks! I think the main concern is the signal strength throughout the property, especially if there aren't enough access points/repeaters. That, along with the latency to Europe or US based zoom/teams calls could lead to lag and a degraded experience.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:06 pm

You might have issues with video conferencing. I stayed over New Years and recall thinking how slow the internet was, even just for browsing websites. I switched to my cell data a couple of times, but speeds didn’t improve much.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by zzap
You might have issues with video conferencing. I stayed over New Years and recall thinking how slow the internet was, even just for browsing websites. I switched to my cell data a couple of times, but speeds didn’t improve much.
I shared a similar experience a few posts above; just adding that my experience was also around new year
zzap likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Is it possible to have guests come hang out for a day? We have some folks nearby we’d like to invite over for lunch.

Obviously we wouldn’t expect their meals to be included, but is this even possible?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by rocky
Is it possible to have guests come hang out for a day? We have some folks nearby we’d like to invite over for lunch.

Obviously we wouldn’t expect their meals to be included, but is this even possible?
there’s a security checkpoint prior to entering the reserve where only reserved guests are allowed to enter. May want to email the concierge about this request but I'd think it’s a no unless you’re some VIP
Old Jan 14, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by KRUXED
email the concierge:[email protected]
Thanks for this!
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by KRUXED
I shared a similar experience a few posts above; just adding that my experience was also around new year
Same thing - wi-fi was on a slower side and some websites/google search results didn't load. I usually use Windscribe for vpn but couldn't connect to it from UAE.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by scotchmeup
Was here in Dec for 2 nights and would recommend 3 nights as a sweet spot for us, as its take a while after the drive out and getting oriented to the place ,it would have been nice to have another day to take it all in after we had got settled into the vibe. Highly recommend.
I would say 3-4 is the sweet spot. But if staying on points 5 was good. We didn’t feel the need to stay as long as we did, but we had no regrets either.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 5:54 pm

We stayed 2 nights. Having arrived at checkin time it was ample time to enjoy the activities and also the spa. We think three nights would have been ideal, as it would have been nice to enjoy the Villa itself and pool for a full day. With the activities, we felt we were always doing something and wish we had stayed one more night-
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:59 am

One night is enough to get a feel for the place. Two nights means you get a little bit of downtime in between the meals and the activities. I think you really need three nights plus, in order to enjoy the feeling of properly unwinding and relaxing, assuming you enjoy that kind of holiday.

I'm planning to do a 5-nighter before they ruin redemption rates when it goes dynamic.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by haner
Thanks! I think the main concern is the signal strength throughout the property, especially if there aren't enough access points/repeaters. That, along with the latency to Europe or US based zoom/teams calls could lead to lag and a degraded experience.
I do tutoring via Zoom, so I'm just looking to have a place - my room or someplace quiet elsewhere - where I can hold my various sessions. Since they're mostly with students in the US, they'll be later in the evening or at night. I do have one student who's based in Greece and one in the Canary Islands.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 11:47 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Skywards Gold
Yes, people can visit the the restaurants and pay. They need a reservation to get past the security at the gate.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Just an FYI, it seems corkage is 150AED per bottle (they said they are fine with me bring a couple). Not too bad at all considering how much a glass is (we are going for 5 nights and have done a few times, so not sure if the 150AED is the normal price).
ps9a likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:06 am

Whether you bring the wine to the restaurant or enjoy it with your meal in the villa, the message I would convey is "make sure you bring enough wine to Al Maha"

I hate the wine mark-up in the UAE and Al Maha is definitely in the more expensive end in terms of alcohol.
EuropeanPete, TBD and noeatbutgo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.