Search
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Email contact at hotel: [email protected]
Official Grand Opening
November 1st, 2019

Room types
Overwater Pool Villa (10 sunrise, 9 sunset)
- Maximum occupancy 3 guests (2 adults and one child or 3 adults)
- 2519 sqft
Beach Pool Villa (13 sunrise, 3 sunset)
- 2669 sqft

Duplex Overwater Pool Villa (12 villas)
- 2949 sqft

Duplex Beach Pool Villa (13 villas)
- Maximum occupancy 5 guests (2 adults and 3 children or 5 adults)
- 3068 sqft

Royal Pool Villa (1 villa)

Offseason upgrades (as of September 2019)
From Overwater Pool Villa Sunrise to Sunset is additional, USD 182++ per night.
From Overwater Pool Villa Sunrise to Duplex Overwater Pool Villa is USD 546++ per night.
February 2020 upgrade price from Beach or OVW Sunrise to OVW Sunset USD 136++ per night.

Transportation

Seaplane - $600 per adult r/t
- JW Maldives has a seaplane lounge and will provide transportation to and from the MLE airport or hotel on Male.

Domestic flight w/ speedboat - $600 per adult r/t
- You can mix domestic flight one-way and seaplane one-way
- Domestic flight is currently to Ifuru Domestic Airport (70 min) and then a speedboat (50 min)
- Funadhoo Domestic Airport may be open by the end of 2019 cutting down the length of speedboat trip
- Domestic flight is the best option for those arriving after 3pm to MLE

Restaurants
Menus as of mid-October: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VarY3T33N_xWEdangWGkH6JztUU8sA8Y

Aailaa – breakfast/lunch/dinner, 96 seats all-day dining restaurant
Fiamma – Lunch, Italian pizza 20 seats
Kaashi – Lunch, Treetop Thai restaurant 30 seats
Hashi – Dinner, Japanese 24 seats (reservations required)
Shio – Dinner, Modern grill 24 seats (reservations required)
Riha – Dinner, Indian/Curry Pit 24 seats, “under the stars” (reservations required)
In-Villa Dining - breakfast/lunch/dinner
Fork & Drink - lunch/dinner, destination dining, they set up a table anywhere on the island?

Activities

Lounge 18 – club house for “adults” w/ cigar room, billiards table, karaoke, board games, etc..
Pool 18 – 18 years+ pool
Horizon Pool
Little Griffins (Kids club/pool)
Open Air Cinema – nightly movie
Photo studio
Print Wikipost

JW Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:49 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Dn10
Of which the JW has none and not many Viceroy pictures exist (a few videos but then again, they are outdated). Would be helpful to stick to facts in the thread rather than generalizations.
Then I suppose you'll just have to wait until the JW opens so you can decide for yourself what I already would presume true by virtue of the other facts in evidence for the properties.

It's strangely ironic how generalizations that the JW will be better than the W are acceptable to you but generalizations that it won't be are unacceptable.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'd always take the StR anywhere over the W anywhere. This to me is a no brainer--as the StR is almost certainly the best overall. This StR is supposed to be one of the nicest hard products of any Maldives resort, to boot.

The only reason to consider the W over the StR is due to someone loving snorkeling and the better quality of marine life at the W reef--since the StR reef is still recovering from its recent construction. I suppose being young and loving a bit more chic/trendy/nightclub feel could also sway one to the W over the StR.

Otherwise, a StR is almost certain be better experience than a W.

Either way, both the StR and W are supposed to be fabulous--and probably much nicer than the JW even will be. Enjoy your stay!
STR is an incredible hard product, though the pool placement for some OWVs isn't ideal (shade almost all day), and therefore not really useable.

I haven't been to W, but enjoyed the Westin. I know it's not the same calibre, but the villa was great and functional, and f&b much more reasonably priced.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:52 pm

Then I suppose you'll just have to wait until the JW opens so you can decide for yourself what I already would presume true by virtue of the other facts in evidence for the properties.

It's strangely ironic how generalizations that the JW will be better than the W are acceptable to you but generalizations that it won't be are unacceptable.
Again with the lack of facts - never mentioned how the JW will be better than the W, just that we will have to wait and see. It might be worse with the Sheraton or it might be better than the W - but speculating now before it opens and pictures are placed on the internet seems a little too early. Would like to get the thread back on track and discuss actual features of the JW, images of the hotel, and when it will actually open.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dn10
Again with the lack of facts - never mentioned how the JW will be better than the W, just that we will have to wait and see. It might be worse with the Sheraton or it might be better than the W - but speculating now before it opens and pictures are placed on the internet seems a little too early. Would like to get the thread back on track and discuss actual features of the JW, images of the hotel, and when it will actually open.
I think one major benefit of the JW is booking an OWV on points as a base room. I would also speculate that the JW's OWVs offer added privacy as there are fewer villas and they are more spaced out. Hard to tell how much larger the JW OWV villas are, but they may have more outdoor space. I think the W is listed as 1,500 sqft and the JW is 2,500 sqft of indoor and outdoor space combined (feel free to correct me). There seems to also be two pools at the JW, one of which is adults only. The next major island over from the JW is Fundahoo which recently completed building the runway for a new domestic airport. I believe that is scheduled to open in December which would allow an additional method of transportation to get to the island. Not sure if any additional air traffic will be above the resort. I've seen some choppy water in some videos of the old Viceroy and Instagram videos of the JW. I'd say that the W is probably the safer bet for the time being.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I finally got around to emailing the hotel about upgrades and room switches as I've decided on our exact trip dates based on my husband's trip schedule. Unfortunately those 5 consecutive days were not bookable in an OVW although there is availability on at least 3 of the days when booked individually. So I booked the Beach Villa in order to get 5th night free and asked about making a switch partway into the stay.

They responded as follows:

Kindly note that if there will be availability during your stay we will be happy to switch your villa to an Overwater Pool Villa [Sunrise].

Alternatively, we can offer you paid upgrade at the rate of USD 136++ per night for the upgrade to Overwater Pool Villa Sunset which will be done directly with us. Rate is subject to 10% service charge and 12% goods and service taxes.

Should I go for the Sunset Villa in order to be guaranteed that we have an OVW? Is it really true that the pool for Sunset Villas have more sunshine and remain warm more so than Sunrise? I've never been at a hotel with a private pool and its something we're very much looking forward to using. So if the Sunset villas have pools that are much more useful then it would be worth for me to pay for the upgrade.

On another note, regarding the seaplane transfer the email says it only operates until 3:30 p.m. Our flight is scheduled to arrive in MLE at 3:30 p.m. on our check in day so does that mean that we would be forced to overnight in MLE? I would really really be upset if that is the case. Or is there another way for us to get to the resort still that same day?

Last edited by friedablass; Sep 8, 2019 at 12:18 pm
Old Sep 8, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
I am finally got around to emailing the hotel about upgrades and room switches as I've decided on our exact trip dates based on my husband's trip schedule. Unfortunately those 5 consecutive days were not bookable in an OVW although there is availability on at least 3 of the days when booked individually. So I booked the Beach Villa in order to get 5th night free and asked about making a switch partway into the stay.

They responded as follows:

Kindly note that if there will be availability during your stay we will be happy to switch your villa to an Overwater Pool Villa [Sunrise].

Alternatively, we can offer you paid upgrade at the rate of USD 136++ per night for the upgrade to Overwater Pool Villa Sunset which will be done directly with us. Rate is subject to 10% service charge and 12% goods and service taxes.

Should I go for the Sunset Villa in order to be guaranteed that we have an OVW? Is it really true that the pool for Sunset Villas have more sunshine and remain warm more so than Sunrise? I've never been at a hotel with a private pool and its something we're very much looking forward to using. So if the Sunset villas have pools that are much more useful then it would be worth for me to pay for the upgrade.

On another note, regarding the seaplane transfer the email says it only operates until 3:30 p.m. Our flight is scheduled to arrive in MLE at 3:30 p.m. on our check in day so does that mean that we would be forced to overnight in MLE? I would really really be upset if that is the case. Or is there another way for us to get to the resort still that same day?
If occupancy is low you might have a better chance for an upgrade on arrival if you are Platinum or Titanium. I've read some reviews of other properties where some enjoyed spending a few nights in a beach villa and then moving over to an OWV. Paying for the upgrade as you said would guarantee an OWV for the whole stay. I've read about the water temp issue at the St. Regis, but not sure that applies at this resort.

Check with the resort with your arrival. If they it's too late they can have you hop on a domestic flight and then they would transfer you by speed boat for the same price as the seaplane. They will arrange this for you. You would miss the JW seaplane lounge, but arrive at the resort the same day.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:08 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
If occupancy is low you might have a better chance for an upgrade on arrival if you are Platinum or Titanium.
And even better yet if one is an Ambassador elite. Ambassadors often get pre-upgraded to suites even prior to arrival at many luxury level properties with larger numbers and proportions of suites.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
If occupancy is low you might have a better chance for an upgrade on arrival if you are Platinum or Titanium. I've read some reviews of other properties where some enjoyed spending a few nights in a beach villa and then moving over to an OWV. Paying for the upgrade as you said would guarantee an OWV for the whole stay. I've read about the water temp issue at the St. Regis, but not sure that applies at this resort.

Check with the resort with your arrival. If they it's too late they can have you hop on a domestic flight and then they would transfer you by speed boat for the same price as the seaplane. They will arrange this for you. You would miss the JW seaplane lounge, but arrive at the resort the same day.
Thanks for responding. Me and my spouse are both Gold but my husband will possibly make Plat by the end of this year - however room is booked in my account since he doesn't have the 340k points yet. Wonder if we can attach his status to the reservation as he will be with me throughout.

I was thinking perhaps to stay in Beach for 2 nights and then pay 3 nights for Sunset if we can't get free upgrade from his Plat status. I will ask if I can do that.

Regarding the seaplane transfer I'd rather miss the lounge for that and get to resort same day so I will follow up with hotel about my options for that. After 20+ hours of traveling I believe we'll just want to get to our final destination ASAP .
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:25 pm

And even better yet if one is an Ambassador elite. Ambassadors often get pre-upgraded to suites even prior to arrival at many luxury level properties with larger numbers and proportions of suites.
Unfortunately neither of us are...
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:13 pm

Thanks for responding. Me and my spouse are both Gold but my husband will possibly make Plat by the end of this year - however room is booked in my account since he doesn't have the 340k points yet. Wonder if we can attach his status to the reservation as he will be with me throughout.

I was thinking perhaps to stay in Beach for 2 nights and then pay 3 nights for Sunset if we can't get free upgrade from his Plat status. I will ask if I can do that.

Regarding the seaplane transfer I'd rather miss the lounge for that and get to resort same day so I will follow up with hotel about my options for that. After 20+ hours of traveling I believe we'll just want to get to our final destination ASAP .
We arrive at ~8pm and decided on staying the night at MLE and taking the first flight the next day, which may depart before 8am, so that we could get a full 5+ days in. If you budget allows for it I would pay for the upgrade.

You might want to ask which side of the island the sunrise beach villas are on. Looks like there are three sunset beach villas, 13 sunrise villas, and 13 duplex beach villas. One side has a few jetties and sea barriers.

I'd check out the resort website as it looks like they've added real photos (highly photoshopped). Beach villas look nice with a good amount of privacy and a little bit of ocean view:

Duplex villa looks like it has a great view on the second floor:

friedablass and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 3:19 pm

Are the duplex overwater villas sunset or sunrise?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Unfortunately neither of us are...
As a Titanium I was pre-upgraded at a Luxury property to an OWV 10 weeks before arrival. Some Ambassador Elites can't seem to accept that.

James
Old Sep 8, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
As a Titanium I was pre-upgraded at a Luxury property to an OWV 10 weeks before arrival. Some Ambassador Elites can't seem to accept that.

James
which property? Peak season or off peak? Did the hotel contact you about the upgrade or did you reach out and request one specifically?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:02 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I think it's great that you were pre-upgraded, also. Who isn't accepting that? Out of curiosity, what was the luxury property?

It's not a zero sum game. Just because Ambassadors might be more likely to get pre-upgraded more often and upgraded perhaps to better suites doesn't mean that either can't happen for Titaniums or even Platinums, as well. It's just a matter of degree and circumstance.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:02 pm

James
So cool that you were upgraded so far in advance . Not sure why that would be an issue. Looking forward to perhaps making Titanium one day and getting this benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.