Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian SPG American Express

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:58 pm

Can I refer my spouse and they use the same SPG number to get the points?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I got an email today from Starwood for an offer of 20,000 points if I sign up.
Is this a good deal?
Do they ever waive the first year $120 Fee?
I might want to try it, but paying for 2 premium cards at the same time (AMEX is not accepted everywhere) seems too much.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by todd-r
The landing page is there but when you click through this message appears:
PM me if you like more info on 21 000 points that works,
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by mendy7511
Is this a good deal?
I might want to try it, but paying for 2 premium cards at the same time (AMEX is not accepted everywhere) seems too much.
It is a pretty good deal. They had a 15K, no annual fee promo back in the fall that I applied for (and I am STILL waiting for the 15K 4 months later...ugh), but the extra 5,000 more than pays for itself for the $120 fee. BUT, if you want to avoid annual fees altogether, wait until they offer the 15K+no fee promo.

FWIW, I have both the Amex Gold and Amex SPG cards - both no fee for the first year. I use my Amex Gold at all grocery, gas and drug stores, and used my SPG at other stores to make my minimum spend. I made my minimum spend in one month, so I rarely use it now. I plan to cancel soon - and maybe churn when the next no fee promo comes in. BUT - need to get my bonus points before I can do that!!!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Thinmini
No benefit to do that because you can transfer points if the address is the same at no cost.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:16 pm

Is this a good deal?
You getting a SPG point for .6 cent, its a good deal I think. You can even get 21 000 by referral.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Thinmini
Since Amex seems to post the points to a brand new SPG account in the cardholders name for new credit card apps (regardless if you give a SPG account number in the application or not), I'd say the answer is no. BUT, newflyer says you can transfer points at no cost, so that looks like the easiest solution!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
You can even get 21 000 by referral.
You can get 21,000 from this direct Amex link:

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...d-credit-card/

No referral required. The offer is valid until April 11, 2013.

Offer valid for applications received by American Express by April 11, 2013 through the links provided within this webpage and other select communications from spg.com. This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Account must be in good standing. To qualify for the 20,000 Bonus Starpoints, you must have at least $1,000 in net purchases posted to your account on or before your three month anniversary date.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 5:11 pm

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Jan 28, 2013 at 5:17 pm
Old Jan 28, 2013, 5:14 pm

For 20 000, no referral but for 21 000 I think yes as your own link and comment from Amex says in your post. Additionally, others benefit from referral at no cost to the applicant.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
. Additionally, others benefit from referral at no cost to the applicant.
Perhaps, as a friendly reminder, you may want to familiarize yourself with the Flyertalk TOS.

FYI ~
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Originally Posted by pokee
I agree with all above. They created a new SPG account and it was a big production to have them merged over the phone (online profile problems needed to be sorted out by a tech). Not to mention I've been waiting for my 15K bonus since October. My 3rd statement was generated a few days ago - and STILL no 15K bonus. When I called Amex a couple of weeks ago, they said it would likely take another 30-90 days. Good Lord! They were even a bit snarky with me - which is weird since my Amex Gold card calls have always been amazing. Wonder if that's because the CSRs have more knowledge and control with MRs, but not so much with SPGs?

While the 21K app and the 10K referral bonus sound great, my spouse isn't jazzed about committing to the $120 annual fee...and me? Well, I think churning this card will end up being a massive pain in the a$$ considering all the hassle it's been to get the sign-up bonus (the 21K and the referral bonus would likely be a nightmare to follow-up on). I am going to fight to get my 15K, use 'em up, and then chuck this card in the trash...okay, maybe I am being dramatic. But, man, getting bonus points should not be this hard or take this long!!!

Same story here. I do not remember such a hassle with bonus SPG points like this time. They always showed up with the first statement.

It has been 4 months and no bonus points. I sent a secure message on the weekend and was told that points will be awarded in 5 business days. We will see.

Wander what changed lately that it is taking forever with the bonus points.

I really don’t think it is acceptable to wait 120 days or even longer
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:25 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by DaveTO
No way. It took 5 calls to American Express to get the free night. Be sure to get a supervisor to send an email to SPG...it was the only thing that actually worked.
I've struggled with this as well. I will call the third time and ask, and see what happens.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by peroorim
Same story here. I do not remember such a hassle with bonus SPG points like this time. They always showed up with the first statement.

It has been 4 months and no bonus points. I sent a secure message on the weekend and was told that points will be awarded in 5 business days. We will see.

Wander what changed lately that it is taking forever with the bonus points.

I really don’t think it is acceptable to wait 120 days or even longer
This makes me wonder if they've changed their policy to only award bonus points after someone complains about it - in other words, automatic bonus points have now changed to manual bonus points. This is really infuriating, and it will deter me from ever paying an annual fee on this card. I will gladly pay an annual fee for my Amex Gold, where I have experienced exceptional service and received prompt automated bonus points...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
This makes me wonder if they've changed their policy to only award bonus points after someone complains about it - in other words, automatic bonus points have now changed to manual bonus points. This is really infuriating, and it will deter me from ever paying an annual fee on this card. I will gladly pay an annual fee for my Amex Gold, where I have experienced exceptional service and received prompt automated bonus points...
I like to cycle through every 6 months. So every 6 months I cancel one card and pick up the other with no annual fee/bonus points.

Is this a good deal?
Annual fee has been waived in December. Don't know if they're going to do it for the 20k bonus. What is your second premium card?
The link in my signature offers 21,000k points with $1,000 spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.