Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Waikiki or Waikiki Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email addresses:

Marriott Waikiki: [email protected]
Courtyard Waikiki: [email protected]

Waikiki Marriott is full buffet breakfast daily for elite+1 or 1,000 points - Plat arrival gift option

Resort fee: $37+tax
--- One macadamia nut candy (comes with 2 pieces of candy)
--- Fitness classes daily
--- Cultural classes daily
--- Enhanced internet
--- 60 minutes of long distance and international calls daily
--- Blu-ray or DVD rentals
--- Press Reader newspaper and magazine downloads
--- 1 introductory scuba or snorkel lesson, one per family (this is subject to availability as the shop needs to first have a paid booking before they can offer the free lesson in the morning)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2003, 12:25 pm

Stayed here last fall. Generally, a "quality room" will be a standard-size room that faces away from the ocean. You get a clean room with desk and small table, though nothing special.

It wouldn't hurt to ask upon check-in if any partial-ocean view rooms are available. The room size is the same, but you get a good view of Diamond Head and the ocean.

The staff was friendly and concierge was helpful. They even suggested a nearby internet cafe over their own pricey business center (so that you can fill us in on your travels in Honolulu )

Easy to walk to the beach and shopping and the numerous ABC stores.

One tip is to stock up on your water, fruit, and snacks at the Food Pantry, a grocery store a few blocks away from the hotel on Kuhio St. (back of the hotel running parallel to Kalakaua). The in-house prices can be pretty steep.

[This message has been edited by ntamayo (edited 02-07-2003).]
Old Nov 6, 2003, 9:31 am

Marriott Waikiki Trip Report

Had a quick (3 night) business trip out to Oahu and chose the Waikiki Marriott, as I hadn't stayed there before and wanted a point of comparison to Marriott's other Hawaii properties.

Overall impression was very favorable, although the hotel falls short of the standard set by the true resort properties in Hawaii. Worked fine for my purposes; had I been looking for a resort experience I probably would have been disappointed.

Location: east end of Waikiki, across the street from the beach. About 30 minutes from the airport via the H-1 freeway or Nimitz/Ala Moana Blvd. Valet parking for $15/day, very prompt valet service. Self-parking available, I think for $12/day.

Lobby: Very nice, open-air lobby with lots of seating and a central fountain/pond area. Concierge desk, bell desk, international guest services desk, and one of the MVO sales desks were all located near reception. A larger MVO sales center (for the Ko Olina resort) was located down the hallway in the shopping arcade.

Front desk: I arrived and departed at an unusual hour for this hotel, so I didn't have much wait and the service was very efficient. Was offered several options for my late departure, including free use of a hospitality room, 6 pm check-out for $100, or just keeping my room for the last night.

Marriott Rewards recognition: Minimal. I got the room I reserved and a daily newspaper. No concierge lounge. Did receive an invitation to a weekly cocktail reception for MR members being held on the evening of my departure.

Facilities: Definitely not a resort & spa as the name would indicate. The only thing on-site is an outdoor pool. Watersports and other beach stuff is available from vendors across the street. Business center was able to handle the basics (I needed to get some hard copy printouts). Kids program was available for children over 5. No golf, but there are many very nice courses elsewhere on Oahu.

Room: Had reserved a "partial-ocean view" king room, which was delivered. 26th floor on the Honolulu side of the tower away from the beach. Nice view of Waikiki beach from the balcony, which was sized to handle two chairs and a small table. Room had king bed, two nightstands, desk and chair, sitting chair and ottoman, TV cabinet, and luggage rack. Two phones, including a speakerphone, but no high-speed internet access. Standard-size closet with in-room safe. No minibar, but a very functional fridge to stock yourself from the many nearby convenience stores.

Bath and commode located in bathroom; very clean with no mold or mildew that can be a problem in the tropics. Good shower water pressure with a detachable hand sprayer. Sink area located outside the bathroom with good water pressure, standard Marriott resort bath amenities, and lots of towels/linens. I don't drink coffee, but I think that there was a coffeemaker located under the sink as well.

Dining: Standard coffee shop poolside, beach grill, sushi restaurant, soon-to-be-opened Italian restaurant. Two Seattle's Best outlets. Many restaurants are located within close walking distance of the hotel...unless you are really tired and don't want to venture out, you can do much better outside the hotel. Curiously, lunch is not available through room service.

Many inexpensive dining options are also available nearby, including all of the major fast-food chains. The local ABC stores (there's one on every block) or 7-11 provide the stuff to stock your fridge. There's also a Dunkin Donuts a few blocks west and no shortage of coffee shops for a cheap morning fix.

Overall: Property was in very good condition with efficient, unobtrusive service. Excellent value for the money (I was staying on a $112/night Government rate). Would not hesitate to bring Mrs. DL and DL, Jr. there for my next trip. It would be a good choice as a base of operations for a few days sightseeing on Oahu, but a poor choice for a Hawaiian resort experience.

[This message has been edited by DFW DL (edited 11-06-2003).]
Old Mar 12, 2004, 1:57 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium

I am checking into the Marriott Waikiki earlier this morning on the 12th (yes I am in KIX and it is Friday evening here but will be Friday AM when I arrive HNL)

Any other FT'ers gonna be there?

I got a great rate $112 a nite corp rate and will use a $100 Marriott Bonus Bucks so net $62 a nite. Not too shabby.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Marriott Waikiki was a nice property. Was goven an ocean view room upgrade due to Gold status.

Room wasn't ready at 9 AM (not unexpected) and first clerk agreed to take my $100 Bonus Bucks, but asked me to present it later after room was ready and folio could be established. Made the mistake of later presenting to 2nd FD clerk who read all the fine print and decided "publically available rates" did not include corporate rate. She then brandished a card showing rack rate of some ridiculous amount maybe $400 a nite. So I pointed out that 1st clerk had agreed to take it, she was then finished with her customer and went into the back (to consult with mgr?), came back and agreed to take it. A happy Marriott customer.

Anyway property has nice rooms, nice ocean views from some and two pools and fitness center. Would have liked a hot tub at one of the pools. Good location right on Kalakaua across from the beach. Two towers, on right on the ocean and one back a block - I took the back tower although I could have had a room in the front tower but I would have had to wait another couple of hours to get into my room. Even from the back tower I had very nice views of ocean and Diamond Head.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta murdered it. RIP WorldPerks
I stay at the Marriott Waikiki Beach property whenever I'm out in Honolulu on business, in fact that is where 90% of my stays are. I work in Pearl Harbor but found staying in Waikiki affords me better hotels, better restaurants, better clubs, etc.

Because I work and stay on the government rate I can only get a partial ocean view room (not to mention many less MR points), but I got bumped to a deluxe room on the top floor (25th) back in December when they were doing the Honolulu marathon - the whole town was packed that weekend. The view form the balcony was amazing...

------------------

Flying Fish: FT'er developed mileage calculator tool
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:04 pm

Programs: SWA, Marriot, Delta/NWA
Waikiki Beach Marriott

Hi all,
I hope it is alright that I am posting this here and not in "Travel & Dining" section, but are there any recommendations for this hotel from any of you out there? I am staying for 6 nights for both fun and work with my wife.

There is a wide range of reviews online, but I figure I might get more honest results here.

Thanks!
Dave

Last edited by dwest24; Mar 16, 2005 at 8:17 pm
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:54 pm

Waikiki is a very busy beach. None of the hotels are in Waikiki are the resort style properties that you find on the other islands. But the Waikiki Marriott is a great hotel. I haved stayed there 3 times, including my honeymoon. Each time has been a great experience. Good price, great service, great rooms, and a great bar and grill that looks over the beach. I would defenitely get an ocean view room. The only bad thing is that it is not on the beach. There is a major road between the hotel and the beach. It really is not a big deal but that is the only negative. In all, it is the only place I would stay at in Waikiki.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec PLT; Marriott PLAT
The hotel itself is pretty nice, and the service is good, but definitely not resort-ish. You can lay out in the sun by the pool and there are plenty of chairs but don't expect the staff to come around helping with drinks/food (at least not when I was there). The beach in front of the Marriott is standard Waikiki, pretty narrow and not kept up too well if that's what you're looking for. I had a full ocean view when I stayed there that was really nice and a good place to have a drink and sit. If there are any more specific questions you've got, I can try to answer them for you.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:14 am

Programs: AC/SE, Marriott Pl, SPG Pl
I've stayed there 3 times and I agree with the other posts. Feels more like a business hotel, than a resort. The rooms are dated and there is no high-speed internet. I also stayed at the JW Ihilani, which has a much better resort feel to it. However, it is not "close to the action" of Waikiki.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:05 pm

Check out Tiki's Bar & Grill next door

I've stayed at the Marriott Waikiki a few times, it's fine. Check out Tiki's at the Aston hotel next door, the Ahi appetizer is fabulous, the short ribs are tasty and it's a fun spot.

Have heard many good things about the Hilton Hawaiin Village, but never stayed there.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Don't eat at Sansei there - truly awful (as opposed to the original at Kapalua, which is fabulous). Walk up to the Diamond Head Grill - excellent food & service (you'll need resvs). Alan Wong's, especially sitting at the chef's counter, is a don't miss. For an incredible tasting menu splurge, Chef Mavro's is really really good. I did a full Honolulu Restaurants reports about a month ago on the Hawaii board. Also, check on Chowhound.com Elsewhere in the US Board for many great ideas.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:47 pm

Programs: SWA, Marriot, Delta/NWA
Thanks guys,
Now I figure we won't be spending too much time there but it is nice to at least know it isn't on the list of Marriotts that need to be renovated still.

However, now the issue comes up with which is better: the Marriott or the Renaissance? Both have rooms at the same rate, but which has a nicer feel to it? I know I am not being specific, but I don't know what would even make one better than the other. Thanks again for all your advice!

Dave
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by piglet
... there is no high-speed internet.
I stayed there last June and there WAS HSIA via wireless available. It may be a "footprint" issue - some rooms may not receive enough of the wireless signal for you to be able to connect.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Thumbs up I scored my best upgrade at the Waikiki Marriott

When I stayed there on business two years ago. I received an upgrade to a huge suite with wrap around balconies over looking Waikiki Beach. It was fabulous and I got to enjoy the suite for the 11 nights I was there.

Personally, I like the location of the Marriott better than the Renaissance.

RIP...
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:56 pm

Definitely Waikiki Marriott over Renaissance Ilikai

I just got back today from a 14 day visit to Honolulu. The first 7 were at the Ilikai and the last at the Marriott. Ilikai decided that midnight would be a great time to have maintenance polish the floors in the elevator bay outside of my room. When I called to complain, they said, well, they'll be done in about an hour. I asked to be moved and they refused. I was offered a coupon for a buffet dinner as "compensation" which I did not use.

I have stayed many times at the Waikiki Marriot and it was a real pleasure to return there after this bit of a nightmare at the Ilikai. I always request a room in the Paoakalani Tower at the Marriott as it was refurbished pre-9/11 and has very comfortable beds. The front tower is closer to the beach, but was semi-renovated post-9/11 and isn't as nice in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.