Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Astrophsx
Daily resort fee is $60 (not waived with status or with booking a club room)
  • Wireless, high-speed Internet access in guest rooms and common areas.
  • Outdoor Yoga, Pilates, and Seaside Hikes alternate daily.
  • Shuttle service to and from Salt Creek Beach on an individual guest request basis (not applicable to group transfers).
  • Access to resort’s Beach Butler Service and use of beach recreation equipment including towel service, umbrellas, and beach chairs.
  • Unlimited use of the Tennis Courts including rackets. Tournament and clinic fees are additional.
  • Courtesy resort driver – transportation within 3 miles of the resort.
  • Complimentary 45 minute private photography session and one digital image (not applicable to special occasions and events).
  • A special Garden Tour experience where you discover Birds, Bees, and Butterflies local to Dana Point in the beautiful Eco-Adventure Garden, reserve through the [email protected] m.

Valet fee is $70 per night

Platinum benefits:
- Free breakfast is no longer offered
- 1,000 welcome points
- One category upgrade based upon availability (usually a coastline or ocean view room)

Tips from a local:
- If you want to avoid the $70 valet fee and don't mind a 10 minute stroll you can park for free on Niguel Rd & Stonehill Dr on the hill except for Friday’s between 10am and Noon.
- The marine layer usually burns off around noon to 1pm each day.
- May, June, and early July are known as “May gray/June gloom”. This time of the year is usually overcast and not the most ideal beach weather. Hot summer weather is usually July to mid-October.
- Beach Hut Deli and Moulin are cheaper places for lunch and are a ~3 minute walk. There is a hidden walking path on the backside of the property that makes walking there slightly easier at Cabrillo Isle & Ritz Carlton drive.
- If you live in the area there is a locals "anniversary" card that allows for a 15% discount on food/alcohol/spa and free valet parking for the day for two cars (not for overnight stays). You will need to show evidence that you live in the area.
- Valet is $5 for the day if visiting a restaurant or marketplace.
- The free OC Parks Summer Concert Series on the Salt Creek Beach lawn is usually a few weekends in August and is very popular locally. Alcohol is sold and usually multiple food trucks. They also have free movies on the lawn during the weekends in August.
Print Wikipost

Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I did not realize Anbang owned the RC and the Montage. We used to stay at the RC but once we stayed at the Montage we never went back to the RC. For us it made more sense to stay at the Montage and not get points or benefits because we felt it was so much better than the RC.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:49 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I’ll be here this Saturday night for dinner at enoSteak for the first time in quite a while. Don’t think my credit card will swipe for the $1 billion.

(Sorry, couldn’t wait for you, @damon88. Next time.)

It is a shame on the credit card because the legacy SPG Amex card is offering 10000 points for every billion right now.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by damon88

It is a shame on the credit card because the legacy SPG Amex card is offering 10000 points for every billion right now.
Only if you sign up through one of our blogger friends sites though,.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:37 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Disappointing dinner at enoSTEAK...and reasons to be cautious

Well, we had dinner here at enoSTEAK last night. Suffice to say it was disappointing. Two of our steaks were lukewarm to downright cool, so we sent them back. Took over 20 minutes to get 2 new medium rare steaks. No manager at all in restaurant. Server offered a free port during dessert. No offer to even comp corkage or offer a free dessert for the poor experience. Suffice to say, I wasn't pleased. Too many other excellent steak restaurants nearby to enable such bad behavior.

Spoke today after a very challenging and oft-delayed process with RC F&B manager. Fortunately, he agreed we didn't get what we deserved and that the hotel should have handled the whole affair better. We will get cert for a free steak dinner. I consider that good service recovery. We weren't planning to return, but now we will give them a second chance.

The ridiculously challenging process to even speak with the F&B manager in the first place would greatly concern me if I were a guest staying at the hotel, however. There was nothing 5 star about that. I mentioned that problem to the F&B manager, as well.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Well, we had dinner here at enoSTEAK last night. Suffice to say it was disappointing. Two of our steaks were lukewarm to downright cool, so we sent them back. Took over 20 minutes to get 2 new medium rare steaks. No manager at all in restaurant. Server offered a free port during dessert. No offer to even comp corkage or offer a free dessert for the poor experience. Suffice to say, I wasn't pleased. Too many other excellent steak restaurants nearby to enable such bad behavior.

Spoke today after a very challenging and oft-delayed process with RC F&B manager. Fortunately, he agreed we didn't get what we deserved and that the hotel should have handled the whole affair better. We will get cert for a free steak dinner. I consider that good service recovery. We weren't planning to return, but now we will give them a second chance.

The ridiculously challenging process to even speak with the F&B manager in the first place would greatly concern me if I were a guest staying at the hotel, however. There was nothing 5 star about that. I mentioned that problem to the F&B manager, as well.
I hope your return visit turns out to be much improved.

We had lunch with friends at 180blu today, and it was excellent...food, service and of course, the views. Also, I had picked up their Anniversary card on my last visit, which gives locals free valet parking and 15% off on all purchases. If you go on weekends, definitely get there by 11:30. The place really fills up.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

We have stayed at the hotel twice. I never saw a single person in the steak restaurant the entire time. It doesn't ( to me) even look inviting. I am surprised that they haven't re purposed that space to something more inviting or useful.
bsdstone and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:49 am

Does anyone have a way to avoid the resort fee? their website list these as the benefits

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel assesses a $50 resort fee per room, per night. Amenities and services included in the resort fee are:
  • Wireless, high-speed Internet access in guest rooms and common areas
  • Unlimited local telephone calls in Southern California
  • 24-hour computer access to the Private Business Centers
  • Daily Yoga and Pilates classes on the lawn overlooking the Pacific Ocean
  • Individual guest use of The Ritz-Carlton Spa’s sauna and steam rooms
  • Shuttle service to and from Salt Creek Beach on an individual guest request basis (not applicable to group transfers)
  • Access to resort’s Beach Butler Service and use of beach recreation equipment including fins, towel service, umbrellas, and beach chairs
  • Unlimited use of the Tennis Courts including rackets. Tournament and clinic fees are additional
  • Preferred golf tee-times at Monarch Beach Golf Links, including shuttle service and golf bag storage on an individual guest request basis. (not applicable to group transfers)
  • Participation in the resort’s daily scheduled Eco-Adventure Center Garden Tour
i wouldn't use any of these - the only one of interest is the internet which is included as a marriott rewards centre - anyone had any success arguing it?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by stevietommo
Does anyone have a way to avoid the resort fee? their website list these as the benefits

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel assesses a $50 resort fee per room, per night. Amenities and services included in the resort fee are:
  • Wireless, high-speed Internet access in guest rooms and common areas
  • Unlimited local telephone calls in Southern California
  • 24-hour computer access to the Private Business Centers
  • Daily Yoga and Pilates classes on the lawn overlooking the Pacific Ocean
  • Individual guest use of The Ritz-Carlton Spa’s sauna and steam rooms
  • Shuttle service to and from Salt Creek Beach on an individual guest request basis (not applicable to group transfers)
  • Access to resort’s Beach Butler Service and use of beach recreation equipment including fins, towel service, umbrellas, and beach chairs
  • Unlimited use of the Tennis Courts including rackets. Tournament and clinic fees are additional
  • Preferred golf tee-times at Monarch Beach Golf Links, including shuttle service and golf bag storage on an individual guest request basis. (not applicable to group transfers)
  • Participation in the resort’s daily scheduled Eco-Adventure Center Garden Tour
i wouldn't use any of these - the only one of interest is the internet which is included as a marriott rewards centre - anyone had any success arguing it?
If you stay at the Club level they routinely take off the resort fee.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am a platinum premier member and looking to book a reward stay at this property.

i understand that Platinum members no longer receive free breakfast and resort free credit.

Do resort fees apply to award status?

Also what is the up sell to Club Level?

This may make sense if you get free parking and waived resort fees.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by navatwal
Also what is the up sell to Club Level?
We have stayed there twice at the Club level and both times we got free parking and waived resort fees. The Club level was well worth it to us. The concierge team excellent...and the food pretty good.They offered three meals a day plus a dessert buffet at 8PM. Beverages ( including alcoholic drinks) complimentary. I figured we saved hundreds of dollars even considering the higher room charge for Club level in food and beverage alone.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
What is the typical upsell to club at check-in?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by navatwal
What is the typical upsell to club at check-in?
We were there for one night on points and it was our anniversary...as a lifetime platinum, they comped it for us, which I believe is HIGHLY unusual. I've heard anywhere from $150 $300/night upsell...we actually ate dinner and had drinks in the club instead of going out...it was that good. Sat on a balcony for two and watched the sunset...was pretty incredible. If you're going to use it, it's definitely worth the uptick...one of the better clubs I've ever been to.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by david55
We have stayed there twice at the Club level and both times we got free parking and waived resort fees. The Club level was well worth it to us. The concierge team excellent...and the food pretty good.They offered three meals a day plus a dessert buffet at 8PM. Beverages ( including alcoholic drinks) complimentary. I figured we saved hundreds of dollars even considering the higher room charge for Club level in food and beverage alone.
Incredible. Is this something rare, or something that would happen more likely than not?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I was upgraded once for free as a Platinum on a paid stay. It was a night when the hotel was fully booked so it may be why. On another recent visit as a Platinum Premier, I got one of the worst rooms possible facing a wall and was given 10,000 points for no upgrades available. If I remember correctly when I called about the upgrade once they were asking $300 for Club Level. I don't think anything is comped anymore for Platinum guests.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by david55
When did you stay there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.