Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Astrophsx
Daily resort fee is $60 (not waived with status or with booking a club room)
  • Wireless, high-speed Internet access in guest rooms and common areas.
  • Outdoor Yoga, Pilates, and Seaside Hikes alternate daily.
  • Shuttle service to and from Salt Creek Beach on an individual guest request basis (not applicable to group transfers).
  • Access to resort’s Beach Butler Service and use of beach recreation equipment including towel service, umbrellas, and beach chairs.
  • Unlimited use of the Tennis Courts including rackets. Tournament and clinic fees are additional.
  • Courtesy resort driver – transportation within 3 miles of the resort.
  • Complimentary 45 minute private photography session and one digital image (not applicable to special occasions and events).
  • A special Garden Tour experience where you discover Birds, Bees, and Butterflies local to Dana Point in the beautiful Eco-Adventure Garden, reserve through the [email protected] m.

Valet fee is $70 per night

Platinum benefits:
- Free breakfast is no longer offered
- 1,000 welcome points
- One category upgrade based upon availability (usually a coastline or ocean view room)

Tips from a local:
- If you want to avoid the $70 valet fee and don't mind a 10 minute stroll you can park for free on Niguel Rd & Stonehill Dr on the hill except for Friday’s between 10am and Noon.
- The marine layer usually burns off around noon to 1pm each day.
- May, June, and early July are known as “May gray/June gloom”. This time of the year is usually overcast and not the most ideal beach weather. Hot summer weather is usually July to mid-October.
- Beach Hut Deli and Moulin are cheaper places for lunch and are a ~3 minute walk. There is a hidden walking path on the backside of the property that makes walking there slightly easier at Cabrillo Isle & Ritz Carlton drive.
- If you live in the area there is a locals "anniversary" card that allows for a 15% discount on food/alcohol/spa and free valet parking for the day for two cars (not for overnight stays). You will need to show evidence that you live in the area.
- Valet is $5 for the day if visiting a restaurant or marketplace.
- The free OC Parks Summer Concert Series on the Salt Creek Beach lawn is usually a few weekends in August and is very popular locally. Alcohol is sold and usually multiple food trucks. They also have free movies on the lawn during the weekends in August.
Print Wikipost

Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
ymx Would you mind updating if you were offered a free or a paid upgrade option during your recent stay. Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:51 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by christianj
ymx Would you mind updating if you were offered a free or a paid upgrade option during your recent stay. Thanks!
The FD told me that they don't upgrade to suites, however, as a Titanium, I was upgraded from a garden view to a coastline view (which was basically a beautiful ocean view). The only downside was located at the farthest section of the hotel.

This was a room originally booked as part of a conference through Passkey.
christianj likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by ymx
The only downside was located at the farthest section of the hotel.
And it's a big hotel. You'll get your steps in!
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:28 pm

I went in August of this year and was told that they don't participate in the "upgrade" bonus. I was not given a breakfast credit either. Perhaps this was because it was on an award stay but my room overlooked the swimming pool eventhough I am Titanium Elite.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by wannagotoo
I went in August of this year and was told that they don't participate in the "upgrade" bonus. I was not given a breakfast credit either. Perhaps this was because it was on an award stay but my room overlooked the swimming pool eventhough I am Titanium Elite.
Unless things have changed, breakfast is not a benefit for ritz carlton.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:04 am

Couple of quick comments from this Lifetime Titanium after a 2 night stay last week:
- Upgraded on award stay to a nice Ocean View room.
- Great staff on this visit! We have had past visits were the staff seemed less seasoned and more like seasonal help but this time we didn't experience anything like this.
- Wonderful dinner at Raya. It did seem like the menu was very limiting but the items we ordered were exceptional and had great flavors. Steakhouse is still closed for those wanting a steak.
- There was a large corporate/group function at the hotel and they were very loud and obnoxious! Luckily most of their carrying on was in the bar area on the two nights we were there (likely due to the weather not being great outside) but I was surprised that a hotel of this caliber allowed them to carry on and scream like that. It sounded like we were staying in a hotel in Vegas or a spring break hotel at times. I am sure the hotels needs groups like this but considering the cost of the hotel it was a bit annoying....especially if I had been a guest paying over $1000 a night.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by christianj
- There was a large corporate/group function at the hotel and they were very loud and obnoxious! Luckily most of their carrying on was in the bar area on the two nights we were there (likely due to the weather not being great outside) but I was surprised that a hotel of this caliber allowed them to carry on and scream like that. It sounded like we were staying in a hotel in Vegas or a spring break hotel at times. I am sure the hotels needs groups like this but considering the cost of the hotel it was a bit annoying....especially if I had been a guest paying over $1000 a night.
Just out of curiosity ...did you say anything to management about the group noise and how it impacting your enjoyment of the resort?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by david55
Just out of curiosity ...did you say anything to management about the group noise and how it impacting your enjoyment of the resort?
No we did not! As I said, their activities seemed to be confined to event rooms for their event during the day and the bar at night. We saw areas set up by the pool and also out on the lawn but never saw anyone there as the events were likely moved inside since the weather was not optimal. When we were having dinner at Raya they were carrying on and screaming in the bar but we did not say anything. On the second night the bar was a zoo when we returned to the hotel from dinner outside of the hotel. We went to our room instead of having an after dinner drink in the bar since we would not have enjoyed sitting in the bar with the yelling going on. Sadly people at these corporate events sometimes act like idiots when they are away from home….this group certainly did.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 6:05 pm

Any recent trip reports? Curious to see if they provide any platinum benefits and/or how often they upgrade.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:17 pm

Pros:
- Extremely well maintained property.
- All staff interactions are friendly. They had a few gifts for our infants, which they loved.
- Salt Creek Beach, in my opinion, is the best beach in all of Southern California. Great for surfing, body boarding, people watching, talking walks on the boardwalk, tide pools, etc..
- Sun bum sunblock is free at the pool.
- A lot of free activities within the resort for families (basketball, tennis, ping pong, etc..)
- A few small fire pits around the property. They sell s’mores kits for the kids, or you get one free if you have a fireside room.
- Gift shop sells Marriott gift cards which usually trigger Amex offers.

Cons:
- Ocean view room didn't seem that spacious.
- Service response times are slow for a property, especially for a property that was not busy.
- King ocean views do not have a bath tub and are shower only. Only the two queen rooms have a tub.
- The beach butler service only had one person providing the service for the whole resort. You may have to wait 10-30 minutes for the shuttle down to the beach and for beach chairs & umbrella set up.
- About two years ago the property removed all seating on the lawn during the start of the pandemic and has yet to return the chairs and loungers.
- Turn down service was never provided to our room. When we inquired about this the front desk stated that due to COVID it was by request only.
- A majority of the balconies are extremely small. They have two chairs and a table, but the doors open outwards and not into the room making it impossible to open both the doors without bringing furniture into the room.
- Valet service has increased to $70 a night.

Used a FNA for a staycation to celebrate our anniversary. Reached out to the property via the app to inquire about a platinum upgrade and was offered an ocean view king. Beyond this interaction, there was no acknowledgment of our anniversary or Convoy status. The property emailed an invite for their Easter egg hunt the week prior. The event was fairly short, but fun for the kids. They handed out complimentary bunny ears and Easter baskets. The front entrance and lawn were decorated with large painted Easter eggs.

Upon check-in we inquired about a cash upgrade to the club level, but they said no ocean level club rooms were available. When asked what the cash upgrade cost would normally be they said it would was $400 per room and that club rooms do not waive valet or the resort fees. I would have liked to experience the club, but I don't see the value at that price. We brought a few bottles of champagne and enjoyed having a few drinks on the lawn, the large fire pit on the property, and from our balcony (not sure if you can grab and go with alcohol in the club lounge). For those visiting there is a BevMo five mins up the road to purchase alcohol at normal prices or slightly higher prices at the small French cafe, Moulin, just a short walk down the road (French wine & champagne).

While the email confirmation states that the resort fee is $50, the resort has increased to $60. The resort does not seem to provide a replacement benefit for the WIFI included with the resort fee for those who have status. It would have been nice if they reviewed what was provided with the resort fee during check-in or provided some sort of pamphlet. One of the benefits is a free 45 minute photography session with one free digital photo. This reminds me of a similar benefit at the St. Regis Maldives that provided a photo session with three free photos and would have been fun to use.

The view has got to be one of the best ocean views in the Marriott portfolio. I'd put it up there with the St. Regis Maldives and Bora Bora.

The downside is that many of the ocean view rooms have small balconies. The doors open outwards and not into the room, which means in order to open them fully you actually have to take some of the patio furniture into the room to allow enough space to have the doors open. Photo below is from a second floor room.

Also, there is a noticeable lack of privacy on the patios. I'm not sure what the property is like at capacity, but we constantly heard people above, below, and to the side of us. With the doors closed it cuts out a majority of that noise, but you hear patio furniture being dragged on the ground above throughout the day. I'd shoot for a fourth level room and ask for one with a larger patio. The fireside rooms on the first level have a much larger patio.

The spa is probably the most expensive I've seen.
svo242 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:20 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on this property versus the Laguna Cliffs Marriott? I currently have a reservation at Marriott but am debating swapping to this RC. My only hang up is there will be 4 of us in a room (wife/5 year old/7 year old) and the hotel said they only have double beds (as opposed to queens). If service/amenities were significantly better here I may suck it up and switch the reservation and pay up.

Thanks for any input.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
If you have status, stick with the Marriott. The Ritz nickel and dimes and the room I stayed in didn't even have blackout curtains.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by BNAChairman
If you have status, stick with the Marriott. The Ritz nickel and dimes and the room I stayed in didn't even have blackout curtains.
Thanks. I am Plat Elite and I booked a room with a King + Queen sofa for the kids. Typically I just book a base room and count on the upgrade but was worried that with a 7 night stay I may not get one. I think I'll stick with the Marriott.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by BNAChairman
The Ritz nickel and dimes and the room I stayed in didn't even have blackout curtains.
I think every hotel in that area nickel and dimes you to death....it's Orange County. As for the curtains, that's very odd because we have always had blackout curtains when we have stayed there.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 12:12 am

Going to be staying at this property for a 2-night weekend with the kids as an ambassador..

any recent upgrade success? I booked the lowest Garden view room on points.

hopefully there’s at least a small acknowledgement… only thing that irks me is the $70 a night parking. This is not New York or Boston.. we have space in cali.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.