Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 7:36 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
Can anyone offer me guidance: I have a 5d award stay at the Andaman and am wondering if the all-inclusive option is worth it (~220 USD pp). I am a plat so would have breakfast included, and can't figure out if it is just cheaper to pay as I go assuming it would mean a budget of 220 pp a day on lunch, dinner and 3-4 drinks a day. Any thoughts? Even if it is close I'd go for it just to not have to think about it during the trip.
Old May 9, 2012, 8:47 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by YULforever
Can anyone offer me guidance: I have a 5d award stay at the Andaman and am wondering if the all-inclusive option is worth it (~220 USD pp).
Really, I can't imagine spending that much money on food. Also, we always ate lunch off property. We rented a car and it was easy to drive on the island.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Can anyone offer me guidance: I have a 5d award stay at the Andaman and am wondering if the all-inclusive option is worth it (~220 USD pp). I am a plat so would have breakfast included, and can't figure out if it is just cheaper to pay as I go assuming it would mean a budget of 220 pp a day on lunch, dinner and 3-4 drinks a day. Any thoughts? Even if it is close I'd go for it just to not have to think about it during the trip.
220 pp for how many days? I'd go for it, as I don't like renting cars and the property is extremely secluded. Driving to the nearest place that serves food takes about 20 minutes.
Old May 9, 2012, 2:52 pm

220 per person per day....
Old May 9, 2012, 6:55 pm
Suspended

220 per person per day....
Unless your meals include lobsters and caviars everyday, I wouldn't do it especially for a platinum member where breakfast is already included (worth $35-40 per person).

A simple main course starts from around $20, you can probably eat like a king with $220 a day (with the exception of the Japanese restaurant where I heard prices is quite high but I am not a fan of Japanese food)

Last edited by mario33; May 9, 2012 at 7:00 pm
Old May 9, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by remymartin
220 pp for how many days? I'd go for it, as I don't like renting cars and the property is extremely secluded. Driving to the nearest place that serves food takes about 20 minutes.
You can walk to the hotel next door and eat there (?four seasons) - so you aren't hostage to the hotel. I agree that that is probably not a good deal for a plat ( the breakfast is so extensive that you may not want lunch )
Old May 9, 2012, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by estnet
You can walk to the hotel next door and eat there (?four seasons)
The Datai (no longer managed by GHM)

The Malay-Indian restaurant "Gulai House" which used to be part of The Andaman (pre-Starwood days) is now under the management of The Datai. Not cheap, but very decent food and unique night time rain forest setting.
Old May 10, 2012, 1:44 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
I think it would depend whether you want to drive long distances (minimum 30 minutes to nearest local restaurant from what I have heard) whether you would eat 3 meals a day and how much you drink. We are also thinking of going for 10 days in Feb next year and pondering over whether to take the all inclusive option, did email Anne Scott the manager to enquire what is included and it appears it is anything on the a la carte menu, limited house wines and cocktails but she did email me a wine list with the inclusions and they were fine for Malaysia, as you said nice not to have to worry about bills mounting up at the end and being a 5 star resort this could be good value for money, we were quoted 1900 MAD for 2013 for 2 pax which is around GBP 400 which I would think is good value for money, but if you upgrade a free booking this probably comes in more expensively, would appreciate a trip report when you do go as we are still undecided.
Old May 10, 2012, 4:11 am

220 per day is a bit steep but might be worth it if you opt for more than 3-4 drinks a day. The Andaman allows you to cross-sign with the Datai a few hundred metres away. You might want to ask how they feel about A.I.

Also - wondering if there's a halfboard option?
Old May 10, 2012, 8:22 am

Definately seems a tough call. We don't usually eat lunch (and probably should skip it!), and may do a day trip or two. I'm leaning towards just trying to ignore the bills and seeing how it goes. I agree it is hard to imagine going through 440 bucks a day for the two of us if main courses are in the 20 dollar range. Assuming a bottle of wine is less than 100, we are still looking at 250 max for dinner which leaves a lot of budget for drinks (assuming 10-15$ each that is still over a dozen!)

I appreciate the input and will report back on the economics. It really helped to know how much the main courses were. Does anyone recall if I'm on track with the drink/wine prices?
Old May 10, 2012, 9:48 am

Definately seems a tough call. We don't usually eat lunch (and probably should skip it!), and may do a day trip or two. I'm leaning towards just trying to ignore the bills and seeing how it goes. I agree it is hard to imagine going through 440 bucks a day for the two of us if main courses are in the 20 dollar range. Assuming a bottle of wine is less than 100, we are still looking at 250 max for dinner which leaves a lot of budget for drinks (assuming 10-15$ each that is still over a dozen!)

I appreciate the input and will report back on the economics. It really helped to know how much the main courses were. Does anyone recall if I'm on track with the drink/wine prices?
Someone posted they received the wine list and you'd be better off consulting that menu. I have my checkout invoice somewhere, but doubtfully product price lists.

I seem to recall dinner was between 400-800 MYR for two including wine. Pre and post drinks, well.. that's another story
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Has anyone stayed at both the Andaman and at Le Meridien Kho Lak? I'm trying to decide between the two.

My itinerary is Bangkok/either Andaman or LMKL/Penang/Kuching (maybe)/Melacca/KL. The beach part would be for 3 nights; I've been to Phuket before (but not LMKL).

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:11 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by beachfan
Has anyone stayed at both the Andaman and at Le Meridien Kho Lak? I'm trying to decide between the two.
I have been to both. They are quite different, each with its own appeal.

Le Meridien Khao Lak
  • broad sandy beach, stretches a considerable distance in both directions
  • large hotel complex with many buildings and different levels of rooms up to villas right by the beach

Andaman
  • smaller albeit lovely sandy beach, more of a cove, more secluded, surrounded by rain forest
  • smaller property, all rooms in same building, limited number of suites
  • rain forest is original growth, 10,000 years old, with monkeys
  • Good range of restaurants between it and adjacent hotel that used to be managed by same company; as of a year ago, could sign bills to Andaman no matter who managed restaurant

My itinerary is Bangkok/either Andaman or LMKL/Penang/Kuching (maybe)/Melacca/KL. The beach part would be for 3 nights; I've been to Phuket before (but not LMKL).
There is a ferry that runs from Langkawi to Penang. It takes about 3 hours.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Great advice (as usual) by SD1K. While I haven't yet been to the Andaman, one thing I'd add is that the LMKL has wonderful, inexpensive beachfront eateries and open air massage shacks right nearby as well as up the beach, which stretches for miles. Though some, including the closest restaurant, are closed this time of year.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The ferry is a great tip.

The many restaurants on the beach at Kho Lak sounds like a plus. Although the restaurant at the Datai sounds great too. For only three nights, the extra $$$ for the fancy places may be outweighed by less transportation costs overall.

Any difference between plat recognition? Seems like suites are more likely at LMKH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.