Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]

Andaman, Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread] [CLOSED DUE TO FIRE JAN 2021]

Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Happy you're OK @nov11.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Unfortunately this resort has burned down today.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nati...-under-control
So sad - but perhaps "had a major fire(s)" instead of "burned down" is a bit more accurate.
Since the lobby is above the kitchen (although there are multiple kitchens) I'm afraid that the lovely science area demonstrating things about the coral reef was probably damaged if not destroyed
Sounds as if it was lucky no one was hurt - hope the staff are taken care of while the restoring is going on - I've fond memories of this place.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Jan 14, 2021 at 4:26 pm
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:37 am

I saw this too yesterday! Very sad as it is such a beautiful area set amongst the Jungle backdrop and right on the water.

We were there a few years ago. I had an average feeling on the place as I felt it needed to be updated and such? In saying that it is a memory I will never forget with one of the most beautiful beaches to walk on; so clean and secluded with only the guests and the monkeys! We were lucky when we went also as the sister Datai Resort was closed for renovations so we had the entire area to ourselves.

If I recall correctly, the construction was primarily wood so I could see this place going up fairly quickly! I couldn't imagine what kind of fire response there was and from how far away. It was difficult enough winding your way in there so I couldn't imagine trying to control a fire in it's location.

Tough times for everyone and this just adds to challenges the staff will have now without being open.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:59 pm

Any news on this property, if they are planning to re-build it?
Old Jun 19, 2021, 1:26 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by najama2
Any news on this property, if they are planning to re-build it?
The owner is "committed" to the process of a rebuild, but I think in real terms we are talking several years at the best before it may reopen. The only thing that could alter that fact would be if someone bought the property with the desire to spend a lot of money on the project. The location of the property means any rebuild would need to take into account the surroundings as damaging those while rebuilding would drastically reduce the actual appeal of the property to guests once its rebuild.

Until there is signs of a strong recovery from Covid and hotel owners in the region see money flowing in again I don't expect anything to start. If they get insurance payout pretty sure they will hold on to it, rather then spend it on a rebuild at this time.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Any updates on this property? On Google Maps, the main building still looks like a shell.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 4:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
A bit of an update, or not really, depending on how you look at it.

Spent 5 nights at The Andaman back in 2017. During our stay, we had a meal at The Datai down the beach and saw how amazing it was. Earlier this month, we spent 2 nights at The Datai sandwiched between visits to Singapore and Penang. Our stay was absolutely spectacular. It was a splurge for us, but also probably goes down as one of, if not the best hotel stays we've experienced. No status or loyalty program--just an amazing experience. The setting, the beach, the bay, the rainforest, the food are all so amazing...I remember why we enjoyed our visit to The Andaman so much. This was just plussed up all around.

Since this is a thread for The Andaman, I'll stop gushing about The Datai and just say that The Andaman is a mess. No signs of construction and based on my viewing of it from the beach, I can't imagine much is salvageable. The wing closest to The Datai looks relatively untouched by the fire, but the remaining buildings appear gutted and what the fire didn't get is probably ruined by years of neglect and the fact that the rainforest is taking over. There was a guard onsite so I didn't go on property, but snapped a few pics from the beach. The last one shows a view of Suite 149 (I think), the room we had during our visit back in 2017 and shown in Chad75's post above. You'll also notice a lot of trash on the beach--a symptom of not having anyone onsite to clean it up.

So, I wouldn't plan on any return trips to The Andaman anytime soon (if ever). I'd definitely recommend The Datai--we'll try to get back for a longer stay in the next few years if we can swing it. Having The Andaman closed just means fewer people on the beach!

Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Thanks for the post - I'm sad about the Andaman b/c w/status it was really nice and many things I loved about it. The Datai besides being more expensive seem more "crowded" online (due to not being multiple stories) but your review will make me reconsider since I like this part of Langkawi and was hoping the hotel would re-open - now I won't wait for that

Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
A bit of an update, or not really, depending on how you look at it.

Spent 5 nights at The Andaman back in 2017. During our stay, we had a meal at The Datai down the beach and saw how amazing it was. Earlier this month, we spent 2 nights at The Datai sandwiched between visits to Singapore and Penang. Our stay was absolutely spectacular. It was a splurge for us, but also probably goes down as one of, if not the best hotel stays we've experienced. No status or loyalty program--just an amazing experience. The setting, the beach, the bay, the rainforest, the food are all so amazing...I remember why we enjoyed our visit to The Andaman so much. This was just plussed up all around.

Since this is a thread for The Andaman, I'll stop gushing about The Datai and just say that The Andaman is a mess. No signs of construction and based on my viewing of it from the beach, I can't imagine much is salvageable. The wing closest to The Datai looks relatively untouched by the fire, but the remaining buildings appear gutted and what the fire didn't get is probably ruined by years of neglect and the fact that the rainforest is taking over. There was a guard onsite so I didn't go on property, but snapped a few pics from the beach. The last one shows a view of Suite 149 (I think), the room we had during our visit back in 2017 and shown in Chad75's post above. You'll also notice a lot of trash on the beach--a symptom of not having anyone onsite to clean it up.

So, I wouldn't plan on any return trips to The Andaman anytime soon (if ever). I'd definitely recommend The Datai--we'll try to get back for a longer stay in the next few years if we can swing it. Having The Andaman closed just means fewer people on the beach!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.