Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kpott
I’m looking to book a 2-5 night stay around mid April here but I don’t see a single award night after mid-February. Is this normal? Has the hotel just not opened up space for next spring?
Marriott is changing the award categories and points required for all MR and SPG hotels, so I expect this is related to the pending changes.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Will be staying at the Grand Hyatt Kauai, but was wondering if I am able to visit the St Regis? Do they offer a day pass? Can I make dinner reservations at their restaurants? Will the valet parking be covered if dining? Am I able to just go to the bar instead of dining. Planning to go check it out during sunset.
You can get points for dining at the restaurant too, even if not a hotel guest.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Update on the management and ownership folks.

Barry Sternlicht's Starwood Capital have bought the hotel and are rebranding as one of the '1' hotel brand. To spend around $80-100 million cap ex on the property apparently.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:59 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Update on the management and ownership folks.

Barry Sternlicht's Starwood Capital have bought the hotel and are rebranding as one of the '1' hotel brand. To spend around $80-100 million cap ex on the property apparently.

Arrgggh I hate this. Glad I have another trip booked already for November.

I remember how sad I was when Four Seasons scooped up the two beautiful (then) Starwood hotels on Lāna'i.
Sternlicht is an innovative guy so I am sure the hotel will be amazing. Just sad to see it leave the Starriott family.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
This will also have an impact on The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas as the guests there regularly use the St. Regis restaurants, bar, spa and beach services and charge back to their villa. Even though the beaches are public, one can be made to feel as an outsider using the beach in front of a hotel that one is not a guest and not being able to utilize the hotel's beach services.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by damon88
Arrgggh I hate this. Glad I have another trip booked already for November.

I remember how sad I was when Four Seasons scooped up the two beautiful (then) Starwood hotels on Lāna'i.
Sternlicht is an innovative guy so I am sure the hotel will be amazing. Just sad to see it leave the Starriott family.
I have no doubt Sternlicht will do a great job with it but yes agreed shame no arbitrage with points anymore.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:41 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
When will the hotel leave SPG? I was planning a trip for December.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:59 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by navatwal
When will the hotel leave SPG? I was planning a trip for December.
An article in a Hawaii paper a few months ago quoted the hotel as saying the Marriott contract had a few more years- so unless there is a buyout (always possible) we may have a few year reprieve.

We have been staying at this hotel for years- way back before it was rebranded as a St Regis. We love it.

First we lost our St Regis in Dana Point, now this one. 😟

Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
It appears there is still some swirl regarding this:

Starwood denies purchase - The Garden Island

”On Monday, however, the public relations firm that represents Starwood Capital denied that any purchase had closed.

“We have not purchased the property,” said Tom Johnson, CEO of the New York-based public relations agency that represents Starwood Capital.”

The article goes on to state a sale may still be pending.

Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:01 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

The SRP is still available for booking now. Plan to book it after it is open with the new Marriott program...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I just booked a trip for November. Great value for point redemption right now before it switches categories.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:19 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
I stayed here back in 1994-1995 when it was simply known as the Princeville Resort. It was a very nice property back then and looking at the current photos it seems that only the rooms have changed, though I thought they were just as nice back then.
Back then, there was a good-sized movie theater just off the lobby area where I saw "South Pacific" playing and you could pop-in anytime to watch a movie. I see no mention of it on the current website, does anyone know if it still exists?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
sold to Starwood capital

Originally Posted by laangelsfan
It appears there is still some swirl regarding this:

Starwood denies purchase - The Garden Island

”On Monday, however, the public relations firm that represents Starwood Capital denied that any purchase had closed.

“We have not purchased the property,” said Tom Johnson, CEO of the New York-based public relations agency that represents Starwood Capital.”

The article goes on to state a sale may still be pending.

I booked 5 nights on points for June 2019, taking advantage of the Cat 7 60k rate for now. I called to see if the sale took place and I was told yes - Starwood Capital did buy the property. For now business as usual and no timetable released for the change, and no info if this would impact my stay. So hopefully it is still St Regis when I go and this may be the last opportunity to experience Platinum benefits and stay on points.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:05 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Starwood Capital has agreed to buy the St. Regis Princeville Resort on Kauai for $225 million and plans to spend another $80 million to upgrade the St. Regis Princeville Resort and rebrand it under its 1 Hotels line.

Our friends just returned from there and say they have some *stories*

I was always mad at myself for missing out on the 2 (former) Starwood properties on Lanai. We finally had a stay planned and then they rebranded.

In this case we have stayed at the hotel in Princeville a lot- even going back to before they became a St Regis and will be there for a week for my birthday in a few months.

Very, very sorry to see this hotel leave. We still miss the StR Monarch Bay.

🙁
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:36 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

It is official

“Starwood Capital is the buyer, but the transaction has not closed,”. “A close date is targeted in November.”

In that context, “close date” means the transaction being completed, not, as has been widely speculated among hotel employees, that the St. Regis will shut down in November.

Deal struck for St. Regis - The Garden Island

i wonder what this means for my late November stay.

I also wonder if this is complicating my points refund

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.