Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Left Marriott 15 Nov 2018] St. Regis Princeville, Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Mauna Kea is not terrible!
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
The highest end Starriott property left would probably be the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua in Maui, but that is also being sold. I don't know what its future holds. There really aren't any other luxury options.

I don't know if you have other point currencies, but Hilton's best option is the Grand Wailea, which is more of a zoo.

The Grand Hyatt in Poipu is now the best property on Kauai available with points. It is very nice, but I still prefer staying on the North Shore, even with no benefits. If you have Hyatt points and you aren't married to Kauai, the Andaz in Maui is another great option.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by leemaj
I have a reservation booked on points (60k Marriott points with 5th night free) for next year. I am Platinum Premier and will miss the free breakfast and upgrades.

Does anyone have any other Hawaii alternatives for high end on points? We are doing 3 nights in Honolulu for a friend's wedding and wanted to book something for 5 nights prior to the wedding somewhere else in Hawaii.
If you want the best view in Hawaii, stay at the Princeville property.

If you want better luxury service/atmosphere, then perhaps the RC Kapalua--though I've read mixed reviews. You still don't get breakfast but you will qualify for a suite upgrade still.

If you want better beach, then perhaps the Mauna Kea. It isn't as luxurious, but its beach is legendary. And you'll get suite upgrade possibility and a breakfast benefit.

If you have Chase points, you also can try for the Grand Hyatt Kauai, which has a much nicer beach than the Princeville resort but isn't as luxurious, or the Andaz Maui, which has a great beach and is a stylish, modern, but sometimes austere take on a Hawaiian resort.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The Mauna Kea is not terrible!
I forgot about Mauna Kea. After the RC Kapalua, that would probably be the most luxurious Hawaiian property left in the Starriott system.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
If holding a reservation in 2019, I wouldn't get too comfortable with it regardless of the wording of the email. I agree with John (Loyalty Lobby) that there will, in all likelihood, be an extended closure of the property as it goes through remodeling. You might want to book a back-up property.

Additionally, I also agree with bhrubin in that there are too many unknowns to spend the money to go to Hawaii and not really know what to expect at the hotel.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/10/26/...8/?omhide=true
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 4:29 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
If our reservation was as far out as BHR’s we too would be looking at alternatives- but our reservation is in 4 weeks- too late to change our flights, plus the hotel has assured me that our prearranged Upgrade will be honored.

We’ve been going to this hotel since the late 1980’s way back before it was a St Regis so we have a lot of fond, nostalgic memories. I am glad we will have a last visit.

bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by el_tigre
I forgot about Mauna Kea. After the RC Kapalua, that would probably be the most luxurious Hawaiian property left in the Starriott system.
I'm not a fan of the RC and Mauna Kea, but I'd say the Hapuna is a very strong option -- we stayed there when construction was going strong, but once it's over, that hotel will be the best Starriott in the islands IMO (certainly the best value on points). Of course the SR will be greatly missed -- there's really nothing quite like it!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by el_tigre
I have a points reservation for August and received the same email. Although I'm disappointed that I won't receive any platinum benefits, I'm pleased that my reservation will be honored with the rumors that had been swirling that they were going to close for a massive refurbishment. There's nothing like Kauai's North Shore, and I'll survive without the bennies.
Ditto. Sad to see it go as we've really enjoyed this property on our past stays.

We have a reservation in January. Already paid for the flights and it doesn't make sense to take an inter-island flight, so Kauai it is. Looking at the stable of Starriott properties on Kauai I'm not really seeing a nicer property or better value for the points I paid for the Princeville Resort, even without the Plat bennies.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Oct 27, 2018 at 8:18 am
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Very sad. My brother was married on the beach here some years ago and we have many fond memories. Almost one of a kind property.

Note if using points is your priority there are many chain properties on Kauai, Maui and Oahu. In terms of luxury the best would probably include Grand Wailea (for those who still do Hilton) Andaz and RC (all on Maui). On Kauai the Sheraton is awful, the Marriott is ok and the Hyatt is fine - but all are located in areas that IMO are vastly inferior to Princeville.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Any insight on how a reservation DURING the transition will play out? Will I lose my PP benefits mid-stay? No elite night credit for half the stay? Contemplating an audible to the Westin... any thoughts there?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Question

Originally Posted by EWR764
Any insight on how a reservation DURING the transition will play out? Will I lose my PP benefits mid-stay? No elite night credit for half the stay? Contemplating an audible to the Westin... any thoughts there?
Interested in the westin as well - why has nobody brought up the westin as an alternative?

right next door and also in princeville, is the westin that inferior to the grand hyatt?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by flymax77
Interested in the westin as well - why has nobody brought up the westin as an alternative?

right next door and also in princeville, is the westin that inferior to the grand hyatt?
The Westin next door is a vacation rental property, and doesn't have a beach, so while the accommodations themselves are more spacious, MR recognition is pretty light. E.g., no breakfast, late checkout, or upgrades (sometimes, but not a published benefit IIRC).
davidsc111 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, it's a completely different experience.

We've stayed there and much prefer the villas with kitchen, laundry, dining table, couch, etc., etc.

IIRC, you can walk down to Wylie's beach via a trail, less than 1/4 mile, but we tended to drive to the bigger beaches around the island.

Last edited by CPRich; Nov 1, 2018 at 4:08 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Hello,

I know we all have our own take on what makes a good hotel verses a great hotel but for me the St Regis Princeville as a good hotel, not a great hotel.

My experience there was perfectly fine, but I found the architecture of the building awkward (weirdly dated) and the beach sub par compared to other beaches in Hawaii. ( Mauna Kea/ Hapuna/ Waikiki)

The views, whilst dramatic, did not seem to me to be any more note worthy than many other locations in Hawaii.

I am partial to the Mauna Kea, as I value its SOM designed building, inspiring art collection and perfect white sand beach,

I enjoyed a very nice major wedding anniversary at the Princeville, but I am not crushed that it is leaving the hotel group.
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by tattikat2; Nov 1, 2018 at 8:29 pm
Old Nov 2, 2018, 8:24 am

After a few calls, heard back from the property and they are unwilling to extend any of the SPG/MR benefits after the 'unflagging'. I was mostly concerned about breakfast, as that's a substantial value-add at St. Regis.

Not a dealbreaker, but I told the rep I was surprised they wouldn't be willing to make an exception for the unusual circumstances, since I made the reservation pre-transaction and my stay bridges the cutover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.