Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, VA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, VA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Arrow The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, VA [Master Thread]

The Westin Dulles is currently taking phone reservations for November 19th, 2009 onwards and online reservations for December 1st, 2009 onwards. I'd asked if they were doing a soft opening and they'd indicated not...

The hotel is, quite literally, adjacent to Dulles International Airport (IAD). There aren't a whole lot of non-generic photos available yet, but the info says the hotel will have 314 rooms & suites, a club level & lounge, a 24 hour gym and full-service spa.

I expect to be staying at this hotel sometime before EOY, but if you beat me there, please write a review (and maybe consider being forgiving of any opening pains... )
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ttrltb
The Westin Dulles is currently taking phone reservations for November 19th, 2009 onwards and online reservations for December 1st, 2009 onwards. I'd asked if they were doing a soft opening and they'd indicated not...

The hotel is, quite literally, adjacent to Dulles International Airport (IAD). There aren't a whole lot of non-generic photos available yet, but the info says the hotel will have 314 rooms & suites, a club level & lounge, a 24 hour gym and full-service spa.

I expect to be staying at this hotel sometime before EOY, but if you beat me there, please write a review (and maybe consider being forgiving of any opening pains... )
I recall seeing some rates as low as $65 and the website says that the lounge is open 7 days a week, I believe.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
The hotel is, quite literally, adjacent to Dulles International Airport (IAD).
It is, although I'm curious exactly how quick it will be to get to the airport in the morning, given that the hotel is not directly off of the Centreville Road exit (10) on the toll road, nor directly off of 28.

And how many SPG properties need there be in this area? Two exits down the toll road is the Sheraton Reston, and kitty corner, the Westin Reston Heights.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DHAST
It is, although I'm curious exactly how quick it will be to get to the airport in the morning, given that the hotel is not directly off of the Centreville Road exit (10) on the toll road, nor directly off of 28.

And how many SPG properties need there be in this area? Two exits down the toll road is the Sheraton Reston, and kitty corner, the Westin Reston Heights.
And don't forget the Sheraton Herndon Dulles and the Aloft Dulles ..and the Westin & Sheraton in Tysons Corner. Gives you plenty of choices!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 2:51 pm

I found this hotel quite by accident the other day while I was looking for a Hyatt Place hotel on an FFN run.

Looks nice but if you are driving there and don't know the area, the entire development that the hotel is located in may not be in your car's GPS database and Google Maps shows the area as a giant construction site.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
I'll be staying there tonight on a $59 weekend rate, and will write up a TR!
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Did not stay at the hotel, but attended an event there on night one, November 19th. In fact, I was the first customer at the bar.

Lobby looked beautiful, and the meeting facilities were certainly nice. I did take a tour of the hotel that was being offered. Quite nice hotel. Will look forward to hearing about everyone's first experiences.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Stayed at the Westin Dulles on Monday night. No upgrade as a platinum (allegedly no suites available) and in fact zero platinum benefit other than the 500 point amenity. Not even free water in the room. That was a little disappointing, but frankly I have no real complaint about the hotel.

The staff were absolutely outstanding - perhaps they're enjoying the newness, but from reception to the restaurant, I have not encountered better hotel staff in this country. A brilliant experience, and obviously everything looked and was brand spanking new.

Apparently they're debating whether or not to open the lounge and provide a breakfast for plats in the future, but the $15 buffet in the restaurant was not the worst as far as value goes at a westin.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW , SPG Gold, Avis PC
Westin washington Dulles Airport

I stayed there twice last week. It is nice and the staff was wonderful. No complaints there. Westin has always been my choice of hotel whenever I can find one. There is anothre Westin not too far from this one, Westin Reston Heights.
I got there from DCA. the first time I took a cab from the airport and the driver didn't know where it was (guess its too new).
Next time I called the hotel for a car service and they gave me a local company's no. Silverline Sedan & Limo, ( or something similar sounding). Had a good experience that time. No getting lost or waiting at the airport.
Took a pic. of the hotel too.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Nice new hotel, but zero plat recognition

Stayed here at the end of November. Hotel and staff were very nice, but there was no plat recognition at all aside from 500 points. No room upgrade, not even standard room on club level, despite the hotel being undeniably vacant. Keys were not even programmed to allow access to club level, despite this being a Plat benefit. We arrived late and slept in, so we never pressed the issue, but it definitely doesn't encourage me to return when you can't even get the minimum plat benefits... It's only one stay, but I wouldn't return without first speaking to the hotel, especially when the Reston hotels have always taken such great care of me, throughout all levels of status.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:05 pm

Stayed here at the end of November. Hotel and staff were very nice, but there was no plat recognition at all aside from 500 points. No room upgrade, not even standard room on club level, despite the hotel being undeniably vacant. Keys were not even programmed to allow access to club level, despite this being a Plat benefit. We arrived late and slept in, so we never pressed the issue, but it definitely doesn't encourage me to return when you can't even get the minimum plat benefits... It's only one stay, but I wouldn't return without first speaking to the hotel, especially when the Reston hotels have always taken such great care of me, throughout all levels of status.
You didn't miss anything because there isn't anything on the club level. Nothing in the morning or evening.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, this property has almost zero credibility with me... :(

After the issue woudn't leave my mind for a few weeks, I finally e-mailed the Westin Dulles regarding our disappointment (no upgrade, etc., despite the property being positively deserted). I e-mailed the hotel on Jan 18th at the e-mail address in their confirmation e-mail. After receiving no response a week later, I e-mailed Starwood (first time) to try and get some feedback. I got a very enthusiastic assurance from Starwood (which I valued very highly) and a short time later, received a response from the Westin Dulles GM.

He apologized and said that, as a result of my e-mail to Starwood, they were now (two months after opening!) aware that the e-mail address wasn't working and that they were working to correct it. He also said that there were very few suites (6 upon later, further inquiry) and that there was no club level. I really thought I'd seen club-level rooms offered before I stayed, but maybe I was mistaken or this was another IT-related sort of glitch... He said that they did have an SPG floor (in response to my comment that I didn't think we were even placed on the SPG floor), but noted (as we know) that, physically, SPG level rooms are identical to non-SPG level rooms. I don't recall if we had complimentary water, etc., but there were no certainly no other amenities.

Additionally, he said: "I am hopeful that you received breakfast coupons to use in Padela, as we have made the decision to do this for all our platinum guests in lieu of having a club lounge. If that was not the case, I would love to know as I am trying to make 100% sure that every platinum guest checking in with us is given this offer." We did not and I e-mailed such back to his address, but, two days later, again, no reply.

I appreciate, from first-hand experience, that any new property is prone growing pains, both unavoidable and avoidable, but I cannot rationalize staying with this property again any time soon. Since joining SPG in the 2nd half of 2009, and with at least half of my stays being the in IAD area, I would have to recommend the Reston properties (Sheraton & Westin) for overall experience in the IAD area. They've always been gracious and friendly and have even given me upgrades while I was still just a preferred (non-elite) member, as well as a few comped breakfasts while gold. The front desk staff at the Westin Dulles were very good, but regardless of bonus perks the Reston properties, the Sheraton Reston and the Weston Reston Heights have never failed to provide a very satisfactory experience. During my only stay in Reston as a platinum, The Westin Dulles, in addition to a junior suite upgrade, also provided Voss water and a nice plate of Belgian-esque chocolates.

I choose the established properties here... FTR, the Sheraton Herndon has also been very good, but they don't have any suites...

[EDIT:] For the sake of transparency, when I wrote to Starwood, they said that they forwarded my comments on to the hotel and offered 1k starpoints. I wrote back indicating that that was generous, but really unnecessary on their part and I respectfully declined the points. A few days later, the points posted anyway, but noticing that they were posted by Starwood on behalf of the hotel, I chose not to pursue the points adjustment further.

Last edited by ttrltb; Jan 27, 2010 at 5:53 pm Reason: transparency
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:11 pm
DH

I spent a night and got not much platinum recognition except for 2pm late checkout and 1 breakfast buffet coupon. No platinum amenity was offered. The top floor, 8, is SPG floor but I didn't anything special about the room like free water. The regular room seemed to be smaller than Reston Westin. I think Herndon Sheraton nearby is better value. My only complain was about maids who woke me up to ask about my checkout time despite no not disturb sign!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:21 am

Westin Dulles Airport hotel

Does anyone know if this property offers transportation to and from the airport?

Their website says that free transportation is 'limited', but doesn't say what that means.

I tried emailing them to ask, but the email address on their website ([email protected]) was rejected.

I asked on their live help system, and the operator said there was a shuttle company at the airport for $10 each way, but that didn't really answer my question.

Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:34 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I stayed there 2 weekends ago (during "Snowmageddon") and can confirm that they do have a complimentary airport shuttle to Dulles for guests.

It starts running at 5:30 AM and runs on the hour and the half-hour until 11:30 PM. It only runs when people need it, so you have to "request" the shuttle - i.e. call the hotel when you land and let the gent at the bellman stand know that you need a ride to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.