Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, VA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, VA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
I stayed there 2 weekends ago (during "Snowmageddon") and can confirm that they do have a complimentary airport shuttle to Dulles for guests.

It starts running at 5:30 AM and runs on the hour and the half-hour until 11:30 PM. It only runs when people need it, so you have to "request" the shuttle - i.e. call the hotel when you land and let the gent at the bellman stand know that you need a ride to the airport.
Excellent, thanks for this info.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I stayed there 2 weekends ago (during "Snowmageddon") and can confirm that they do have a complimentary airport shuttle to Dulles for guests.

It starts running at 5:30 AM and runs on the hour and the half-hour until 11:30 PM. It only runs when people need it, so you have to "request" the shuttle - i.e. call the hotel when you land and let the gent at the bellman stand know that you need a ride to the airport.
This info arrives just in time. Thanks ^
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Just finished a 2-night weekend stay there. Couldn't complain about the rate. It was a "Better Tomorrow" rate: $103 plus tax ($69 + $34). What was odd was that the lowest weekend rate was $74 or $79. Have know idea where the $69 rate came from. Anyway...

This hotel looks good to the eyes, and that's about it. The rooms weren't anything special, just average in size. There is no Executive Lounge. Platinums get breakfast buffet coupons and that's it; although there was no buffet, so it became a $15 food credit off the menu. The parking situation is a little nuissance. There is a separate parking garage behind the hotel. You have to take an elevator to the back end of the hotel, then pass through the meeting rooms to get to the area where the room elevators are at. Also, toll-free calls cost 50 cents each. The rooms have a safe inside them; however, it is square-shaped and I had to really maneuver it to get my laptop to fit through the door opening. As a Platinum member, it is better to stay at the Sheraton a block away. Plats there get the breakfast coupons when the lounge is closed, as well as a drink coupon and appetizer coupon for the restaurant and bar. Also internet is free for them, although that aspect becomes moot next week.

The Westin seems misplaced at its location there. It seems better suited for Tysons Corner or Arlington. Not in the outer suburbs next to Dulles Airport, surrounded by a bunch of condo and apartment complexes.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know if this hotel has High Definition channels on these LCD TVs?

I've noticed more and more hotels are actually offering HD channels instead of just stretching SD channels.

Thanks

Bill
Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
The parking situation is a little nuissance. There is a separate parking garage behind the hotel. You have to take an elevator to the back end of the hotel, then pass through the meeting rooms to get to the area where the room elevators are at.
Small price to pay for covered parking IMO. The night we stayed here, it rained constantly so I appreciated having a garage instead of parking along the hotel exterior. It's also not that far a walk from the garage elevator to either the front desk or room elevators.

That said, I really wanted to like this place more. Standard Westin amenities (e.g., Heavenly Bed, gym with lots of weight machines and treadmill options) are great. But no discernible upgrade to an enhanced room, and perfunctory treatment by the front desk at check-in. Then again, paying ~$70ai for a mediocre Westin experience is still pretty good.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Good Stay

I had a very good stay. Was kinda concerned given the somewhat mixed reviews here. But decided to stay anyway since it was just one night and the rate was good.
Paid $155 for a suite with bfast and wine and strawberries. Didn't want to chance an upgrade, since I needed the room, so reserved the suite. Two breakfasts included, and they comped the other two.
The wine and strawberries were great, and arrived very promptly. Breakfast buffet was very nice (even if not free, I'd gladly pay the $15).
Location was good, close to highways, restaurants, etc. We were going to Arlington Cemetery the next day, so it was quite perfect.
Parking was free if self-park. Easy access, covered. No problems at all.
Everything in the suite was in working order and VERY clean. No real problem with noise, though briefly while in the bathroom I heard what was most certainly a healthy (if short) physiological gratification between two people somewhere nearby.

Oh, I should mention, internet was quite slow. Tested it with speakeasy, and it showed download speed of 500K. That was quite bad for anything more than simple browsing and email checking. Not a deal breaker, but quite surprising.

Given the price, I'd gladly stay again if I am in the area.

Last edited by choptliva; Aug 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm Reason: Forgot one thing
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat
Good stay at this one-year-old Westin this past weekend. Less than $80/night including all taxes.

Hotel was very low occupancy and I was upgraded to a nice suite with a separate sitting room. Big bathroom with separate shower and bathtub. Usual modern Westin room furnishings and great bed linens. Flat-screen TVs in the bedroom and sitting room - there are quite a number of HD channels available.

There is still no lounge at this hotel. Received a coupon for free breakfast buffet in the main restaurant. Coupon is clearly marked as specifically for Plats. Rare to see this type of recognition in U.S. ^

Lobby and restaurant area are clean and modern. Check-in and restaurant staff were all very friendly and helpful.

The shuttle busses that run to IAD can also take you to nearby Air and Space Museum (highly recommended) and will come and fetch you too.

Internet was free for Plat and speeds measured a modest 500kbps down and 250 kbps up. On the sign-up web page it describes the service as 500kbps download and that’s exactly what you get. It looks like there is a free (for anyone) slower option of 128 kbps up and down that is described as for checking e-mail. I did not try this service but it seems like a generous gesture.

Guest folio e-mailed at checkout. Points and Plat amenity posted within 24 hrs.

This hotels delivers the way a Westin should. Will definitely return. Cannot count on a suite upgrade as there are relatively few.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
At the property right now. Roomwise I think this is best in the area. I like it slightly better than Reston and it's also cheaper.
Old May 25, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Any view of airport?

Hi, I'm considering staying there this upcoming weekend, especially if there are any decent views of the airport from the hotel (higher floors, I assume?). I'm something of an airplane buff and it'd be cool to have a nice view of the airport/runways.

So are there any good views of the airport/runways from this hotel?

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2011, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by UA_Eagle
Hi, I'm considering staying there this upcoming weekend, especially if there are any decent views of the airport from the hotel (higher floors, I assume?). I'm something of an airplane buff and it'd be cool to have a nice view of the airport/runways.

Thanks!
I don't think so. I've stayed there a number of times on business travel - good rates, quiet, etc. However, the treeline obscures IAD from even the highest floors.

The Hyatt up the road has great airport views from nearly all the rooms on the West side of the hotel, although the rooms are pretty dated.

For awesome viewing, go to the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space museum just a few miles away - they have a huge observation tower that sits between IAD's runway 19R and 19C...you can watch traffic come in (or depart, depending on the wind) from the observation deck. Impressive when the heavys are coming in!
Old May 26, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by UA_Eagle
The Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel is next to the Hyatt. From the fifth floor on the back side of the hotel, room 500, I've seen the ATC tower and planes approaching and departing but no view of the runways themselves.
Old May 26, 2011, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
The Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel is next to the Hyatt. From the fifth floor on the back side of the hotel, room 500, I've seen the ATC tower and planes approaching and departing but no view of the runways themselves.
IIRC, that Sheraton is next to the new Hyatt Place...the Hyatt is about 1 mile north on the same road.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Received via email:

Westin Washington Dulles

Book 2 nights at $89 per night and your third night is on us!
Stay any Thursday through Sunday night June 23rd through September 4th.

Book Online, or call 866-360-5697 and quote rate plan SUMMER.

Last edited by kanerf; Jun 8, 2011 at 3:27 pm Reason: Oops
Old Jun 9, 2011, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

Just spoke with the front desk and was told that they will send the shuttle out between 12am-5am upon request. Hopefully this is accurate as I will be landing after midnight. Note the Hyatt shuttle runs until 12:30am but is done at that time as the driver goes home. I would not relish finding a taxi that will want to go 2 miles after waiting in a holding pen for an hour - they all want the big fare into DC.

How is the airport noise here? I'm pretty sensitive and don't relish the idea of waking up to jet engines when I won't be retiring until very late.

I will try to remember to post a review later. IMO the complaints above are pretty trivial, I think some people have become a bit spoiled. Heaven forbid you don't get a room upgrade or a nice lounge (which is understandably missing given that many airport visitors will be departing very early morning). In fact sounds like compares favorably with the Westin SFO. Airport Westins are different from downtown and resort Westins (one could argue correctly that it cheapens the brand and would more properly fit under Sheraton, but that is another matter and alas there already is one there). Check out the reviews for some of the competing off-airport properties at IAD and you'll find some real problems.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jun 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Had a mattress run here last night. As always, great hotel. The staff have turned over a little bit, but they are even better now. Platinum breakfast coupons still offered without asking, no upgrade, but there was a huge wedding going on. Also ate dinner at the bar, good food, better than I remembered. All in all, a great place if you need to stay in the IAD area, have a missed/cancelled flight or in my case are doing a MR ($59/night pre-paid), can't beat that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.