Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Brooklyn Bridge Marriott (New York City) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brooklyn Bridge Marriott (New York City) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tcook052
Is there any recent feedback about this hotel poster care to share with this Marriott non-elite?

I'm holding a reservation in a few weeks at a great rate and had planned on sightseeing more of Brooklyn this trip and escape Midtown/Times Square so this hotel seems perfect but am still curious as to others first-hand experience with neighborhood, facilities, etc.
tcook052, you might want to PM dhammer53 re: your question. He's the resident Brooklyn expert (does the annual Brooklyn Tour Do), and ask him to reply in this thread as the info would be helpful to others who stay here.

I've only stayed 1 time for 1 night & had an event in the city (easy subway access), so can't really address what's around. I seem to recall some restaurants/shops nearby.

Cheers.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I've only stayed 1 time for 1 night & had an event in the city (easy subway access), so can't really address what's around. I seem to recall some restaurants/shops nearby.
Thanks Sharon.

I was mildy surprised how low on the FT Marriott forum radar this property rates given it's location and how long it's been around. But it was on at a good deal for me and think it'll more than ably meet my needs, especially since this trip to NYC was planned to see more of Brooklyn. I'll offer some impressions after my 4-night stay later this month.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:33 am

especially since this trip to NYC was planned to see more of Brooklyn. I'll offer some impressions after my 4-night stay later this month.
Appreciate a trip report when you finish the stay & do PM Dan. He'll give you lots of info/things to see/do/where to eat.

BTW - some folk probably don't consider this hotel when they have bizness in Manhattan vs. Brooklyn. Yes, it's not horrendously far on the subway to NYC from Brookly, but if Brooklyn rates are similar to NYC pricing & one needs to be in the city, that may be why it doesn't get booked/trip reports as much because it's just easier to stay in the city.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jan 13, 2013 at 1:20 pm Reason: corrected a typo so something would make more sense...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:36 pm

This hotel is looking better already as I found on this hotel map that there's a Shake Shack just down the block. ^
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
We stayed here for a weekend in June on points and were treated like royalty. Some of the best service I've ever received at a Marriott across the board. We were placed on a high floor overlooking city hall. I casually mentioned on check-in that it was my son's bday, and they sent up a HUGE platter with fruit, crackers, cheese, cheesecake, chocolate cake, and chocolate covered strawberries.

Location is tremendous. Easy access to Manhattan by subway or cab. Newish Shake Shack right on the corner, plus countless other dining options in downtown Brooklyn and adjacent areas. I'll be back.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; United Premier Silver
Thanks Sharon.

I was mildy surprised how low on the FT Marriott forum radar this property rates given it's location and how long it's been around. But it was on at a good deal for me and think it'll more than ably meet my needs, especially since this trip to NYC was planned to see more of Brooklyn. I'll offer some impressions after my 4-night stay later this month.
On my trips to NYC, I typically stay at this hotel as it's within walking distance to the old neigborhood I grew up during the 60's and 70's, and it's a stone's throw from the nursing home where my mother has taken up residence for several years now. Sometimes I'll stay at midtown or upper eastside Marriotts in Manhattan, but I truly prefer the Brooklyn Marriott. I have no issues with taking the easy subway ride to the financial district or midtown from the Brooklyn Marriott. And I love walking around Brooklyn Heights and Cobble Hill neigborhoods -- the neighborhood restaurants nearby are very good.

Queen Italian Restaurant on Court Street is one of my favorites since the early 1960's when it used to serve fabulous pizza and was primarily a pizzeria back in the day. It's no longer a pizzeria but it's a great restaurant with great service and a 5 minute walk from the Marriott. Smith Street, a few blocks away, between Douglas St and Atlantic Ave is now known as restaurant row. I think one of the neighborhood restaurants near the Heights made the top 20 list of best and most expensive restaurants in the USA. Cafe LuLuc, about a 10 minute walk away, is great for breakfast and has delightful pancakes. Lucali Pizza in Carroll Gardens has very good thin pizza and a block away from the bakery and baker (Cammareri Brothers Bakery) that inspired the movie Moonstruck.

I love my old neighborhoods in Brooklyn: Red Hook, Cobble Hill, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, and Carroll Gardens. And they're all close to the Brooklyn Marriott. If you prefer Manhattan, you can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to the Financial District or take the subway to other parts. By the way, there is also a half-price theatre ticket office booth right across from the Jay Street side of the Marriott.

I'm curious about the good deal you got for your stay. Tell me more.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisJC5
I'm curious about the good deal you got for your stay. Tell me more.
Travel agent discount, sorry not a public rate. I'm happy to hear the positive responses though as this hotel seems a somewhat hidden gem and am quite looking forward to the stay.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
I'm also thinking about booking this property in late March, for my kids' spring break. Short drive to NY sounds nicer than a long flight to the Caribbean (but if we ever get any cold weather that could change!).

The rates I'm seeing are a lot less than midtown, plus last time I was in NY (stayed at the Ritz Central Park) we did a tour (used a private tour guide, "My Kind of Town" tours, which was wonderful) - I thought the Brooklyn area was the most interesting and the area had such wonderful charm! I would actually prefer this area to midtown, so that and lower room rate is a no brainer.

Thank you ChrisJCS for the restaurant info!! I need to write those down.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:09 am

I'm back from this property and very much enjoyed my 4-night stay as it was top flight all around.

I was assigned room #1403 upon check in after having politely asked for a king bed room as high as possible for an view and the agent did take some time to check rooms rather than the perfunctory glance I've received at other hotels. The room looked out over the rather bland NY Supreme Court opposite the hotel but had a nice view of Borough Hall and you can hear the chiming of the clock bell, a nice surprise. The king bed has to be one of THE most comfortable I've found at any brand and slept super soundly as there was little traffic noise later at night unlike Times Square where I moved for my last 2 nights and was awoken several times by sirens, horns and street noise. The room was well appointed and comfortable with a chaise lounger that was nice to spread out on rather than just the usual sitting chair. The only nitpicky things I'd note would be a few flakes of peeling paint on the bathroom ceiling and a little slow delay for hot water, though the water pressure I found good. Also the safe is in a drawer on the desk and means lifting a heavy lid to use it and found there was no way to prop the lid open so a tad different to almost all others I've experience in hotel rooms.

I found the pool was closed for maintenance and would've liked it being available. There was a sauna & whirpool that were open but didn't give them a try.

The walk to the nearby subways stations is barely a few minutes so access is good, so good you're a shorter ride into Lower Manhattan than if you were staying further uptown. Overall very much appreciated the location and being able to walk to lots of sights in and around the area including the Brooklyn Heights neighborhoods with lots of good restaurants, NY Transit Museum, and of course the Brooklyn Bridge. Other sights around Brooklyn are well worth exploring and managed to work in visits to Junior's, Brooklyn Museum and Brooklyn Botanic Garden which was free for Winter weekday visits.

Overall a very nice stay and would return in a NY minute. The staff were super friendly and the hotel more than comfortable that I'd like to return in warmer weather as the week I was in NYC it was the coldest 6 days stretch in 19 years, IIRC from one local TV channel's weatherman. The bonus of being out of the hectic pace of Times Square & Midtown in general is well worth considering this Marriott as it has lots going for it.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:26 pm

I thought I'd bump this thread to report on what another nice stay I had at this location a week ago.

I was checking my folio on the TV and noticed I had a message which turned out to be from the manager saying I was the Marriott Rewards member of the day and I could choose free wifi for a day or a free movie. Like a dummy however I forgot to redeem the prize that day and so mentioned it at check out the next day and was offered MR points instead so was quite happy with the outcome.

The location and value rates are two big reasons I return to this location but the people skills of the staff help make each stay pleasant.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Hey! Pulling up an old thread.. How is this property? I have some meetings near Columbia Uni (NASA).. I stayed at the RI last time near Penn station.. Perfectly nice but spartan..

Posts here sound good so just checking.. What is the local area like?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:15 am

I thought we had a more recent trip report on the property by tcook052, but obviously in a dif thread since this one is from '09. It's been a few years since I stayed there & that was for a single-night only & I needed to be in Manhattan, so I can't quite remember what it was like for evening. The subway is very close & I think office bldgs, but also restaurants.

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I stayed there last December as a Gold. I got a great rate for a Sunday night ($199, I think). The location was great, right between two subway stations; Jay-MetroTech station is very close, and the other one (Borough Hall, maybe?) is about two blocks away. Safe-ish downtown Brooklyn neighborhood.

The hotel itself was pretty standard for a FS Marriott. The indoor pool was fairly nice, but I wasn't impressed with the whirlpool. Very foamy and closer to a Courtyard-grade than a FS-grade one if that makes any sense.

The lounge, however, was fantastic - very large, great views of the city. We had "happy hour" there before heading into the Village, which was good enough for a meal. Easily the best Marriott lounge I've been in.

I'd certainly return if I got a good rate. No real complaints at all.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Agree with the above...this is a good property.

Lounge is good sized and the best views are from the balconies on either end of the lounge.

A couple of nice casual dining / fast food restaurants nearby...Panera, Shake Shack, Hill Country BBQ and Hill County Chicken (I love that place). Grimaldi's Pizza about a 15 minute walk.

Great starting point for a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Safe-ish is right. Metrotech is literally right behind the hotel. Fulton St...a little bit of caution would be appropriate.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I thought we had a more recent trip report on the property by tcook052, but obviously in a dif thread since this one is from '09. It's been a few years since I stayed there & that was for a single-night only & I needed to be in Manhattan, so I can't quite remember what it was like for evening. The subway is very close & I think office bldgs, but also restaurants.

Cheers.
Thanks Sharon and yes, I'd updated my stays in this thread.

After a few stays I gotta say I'd rather stay here than in most Manhattan locations but then again I could visit NYC without ever setting foot on Manhattan. So many historic sights within the Brooklyn Heights area you can move from Truman Capote to Henry Ward Beecher and a century in a few short blocks.

FWIW I walked to the Borough Hall subway stop most times though Jay Street/MetroTech may be handy depending on the subway lines you need.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 16, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.