Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by letsgofire
As it turns out, the W is next to the section of the beach that is 90% populated with full nude naked men. This is not an exaggeration. Other sections of the beach are not like this, only the section near the hotel. Bear in mind though that every time you go for a walk or go jogging, there is no missing this crowd. In America we are not used to this. I would think this would not be a good place for families.
Originally Posted by dtremit
Have you stayed at a W before? IME they are not really aimed toward families, or at least the very specific sort of family I expect you're thinking of.
+ 1. Perhaps letsgofire is not that familiar with the W brand's Urban & European influence as well as the fact that our civilized friends in Europe people are much more relaxed about things like nudity and sexuality @:-)

I'm more concerned about the reports of bland design and not enough chairs by the pool.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
+ 1. Perhaps letsgofire is not that familiar with the W brand's Urban & European influence as well as the fact that our civilized friends in Europe people are much more relaxed about things like nudity and sexuality @:-)

I'm more concerned about the reports of bland design and not enough chairs by the pool.
I promise to write a detailed review on the sky bar mojitos post BooDoo
Old Oct 13, 2009, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
...I'm more concerned about the reports of bland design and not enough chairs by the pool.
+1. Not to mention the need for so many finishing touches.

I don't want to blow 60K SPG points on a building that is not ready for prime time.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and AA Concierge Key
Lots of reaction to my comment about the beach immediately next to the W being full of naked men. I didn't intend for my comment to spark the whole beach nudity in the US versus Europe converation. I'll simply clarify my comment and say that the beach area next to the W is not like the rest of the beach.

The rest of the beach appeared to be a typical European beach, however that area starts at about a 15-20 minute walk from W. The area near the W appeared to be a nearly male-only section.

The bigger issue with the location is that the W is so far away from everything and you need to take taxis to get everywhere.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:28 am

The rest of the beach appeared to be a typical European beach, however that area starts at about a 15-20 minute walk from W. The area near the W appeared to be a nearly male-only section.
oh, totally...it's one of the two gay beaches of the city.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Lots of reaction to my comment about the beach immediately next to the W being full of naked men. I didn't intend for my comment to spark the whole beach nudity in the US versus Europe converation. I'll simply clarify my comment and say that the beach area next to the W is not like the rest of the beach.

The bigger issue with the location is that the W is so far away from everything and you need to take taxis to get everywhere.
So, did the W's opening attract this demographic, or did Starwood knowingly locate this hotel in such an area?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.w-barcelona.com/en/special-offers-en says from €249

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
MO barcelona taking reservations from dec 15
from €176 after 3rd nt free

will be great for amex cent. after free nt and upgrade >
€283 - terrace suite
€750 - 2BR penthouse suite
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
So, did the W's opening attract this demographic, or did Starwood knowingly locate this hotel in such an area?
This demographic has been there way before there was actual ground to build a hotel on top of it! And, of course, SPG people is clever
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Any idea on whether the W Barcelona comps breakfast to Platinums? I will be spending 8 days there on a no-breakfast rate and would love to know what to expect!!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 9:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
Hi, the wife and I spent 6 great nights in a Mediterranean Suite at Le Meridien. We had a terrace right on Las Ramblas and could see the W way off in the distance. We loved LeM especially Bar Lobo right across the street we ate there at least 6 times during our stay. Not sure what the attraction is for the location of the W but it may work for some people.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Sphinx
Any idea on whether the W Barcelona comps breakfast to Platinums? I will be spending 8 days there on a no-breakfast rate and would love to know what to expect!!
Breakfast is not a published Platinum benefit (except in hotels with club lounges) nor brand standard for W, so I doubt it. But I too would be interested to hear of any perks above the usuals.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:40 am

If you want that area stay at the Ritz further up the beach
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:02 am

Breakfast is not a published Platinum benefit (except in hotels with club lounges) nor brand standard for W, so I doubt it. But I too would be interested to hear of any perks above the usuals.
I emailed the hotel - they said no platinum perks except those officially published in the T&Cs. Hence no breakfast, free internet, happy hour... etc!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We have decided to CXL the W and go to LeM. We will give the W a bit of time to get its act together.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by monitor
We have decided to CXL the W and go to LeM. We will give the W a bit of time to get its act together.
Wish I could do the same. Unfortunately I took the non-refundable rate!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.