Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Barcelona, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:57 am

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Share us the details, would be interesting to hear how the management makes good on you.
First off let me preface this by saying I'm not actually staying at the W, nor am I looking for points or other forms of compensation. This more about making issues known to the GM.

In town for Mobile World Congress, a very large conference. We're out a dinner, and get an email from the CEO of the US subsidiary of a major handset manufacturer telling us to meet him at the bar at the W. I was with a group of very influential tech moguls and journalists, many of which are SPG Gold/Plat themselves, and we show up at the hotel to go to the bar. To my surprise, there's velvet rope, and an extremely, extremely rude hostess at the front.

She let's a few of us walk in and then points out a few folks who are wearing 'sneakers' and refuses entrance to them, individual singling them out. To be clear, we're not dressed to the nines, but we're not wearing shorts and sandals either. There's the standard back and forth, oh we didn't know there's a dress code, we're trying to meet folks at the bar, what can we do. She mentions something about how this policy doesn't apply to guests of the hotel so I immediately offer to buy a room at the full rack rate so everyone can get in. She then says, one room only counts for two guests and we have many more people so we'd have to buy a whole block of rooms. It just seemed that she was arbitrarily making up policies to keep our group out because she didn't like us.

In the end, I had no choice but to call the folks we were meeting upstairs, explain what had just transpired and that they had to come down and go somewhere else. We left the W and went to the Hotel Arts where we treated much better and enjoyed the rest of our evening.

I was just surprised at there being a dress code, which is not mentioned anywhere in the hotel or on the website, and the rude, rude manner in which individual people were singled out, causing unwarranted embarrassment. There were at least 3 CEOs in our group and after our experience, it's clear that they and their employees will not be staying at Ws in the future. I hope the GM 1) notes on the website that there is a dress code and 2) instructs his staff to monitor hotel policies with the tact and and grace befitting the W brand. It just goes back to the old adage that one bad employee can ruin an entire brand for customers.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:19 am

I fully understand and respect dress codes. I equally fully support and approve of a hotel that will provide exceptions to hotel guests over random walk-ins. This is something a place like The Standard in NYC will never understand.

Originally Posted by bioyuki
She mentions something about how this policy doesn't apply to guests of the hotel so I immediately offer to buy a room at the full rack rate so everyone can get in.
...but this is just incredibly! This is the moment where she should have dropped everything in her hands and walked you to the reception area just 10m away - ear to ear smile on her face. Why is it that the moment you become a bouncer/hostess for a club you lose all manner of service-mindedness?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by bioyuki
Currently in Barcelona for a conference and just had an utterly disappointing experience at the W. Does anyone here have the contact information for the hotel's GM?

Thanks.
I had a small issue with the W back in October and the Assistant Welcome Desk Manager was more than helpful.

Borja Cuevas

Assistant Welcome Desk Office Manager | W Barcelona

Placa Rosa dels Vents, 1 08039 Barcelona - Spain

T: +34 932 952 800

[email protected]
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Obviously CEOs of major companies shouldn't have to follow rules like that. Didn't she know who you are?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM
BCN W is AMAZING + Mandarin Oriental Comparison

Returned Monday from a fabulous stay in Barcelona. My wife and I first stayed 2 nights at the Mandarin Oriental. it's a beautiful, new and modern hotel with 98 rooms... so much smaller than the W. This hotel is centrally located and is a great base for sightseeing. True to most Mandarin hotels, the service level is high. The food is superb, rooms are great but smaller than the W. We loved the stay there.

Then we spent 2 nights at the W. After hearing about how well Platinums have been treated I was hoping to be able to score one of the corner suites... and yes, we were offered a corner suite upon check-in. The room was absolutely fantastic... views incredible! The suite and fantastic dramatic design of the hotel overshadowed the few service glitches we encountered during the stay. While its not Mandarin level service its still fine... the staff has the "W laidback cool" working and genuinely seems to care. I had more confidence in follow-thru at the Mandarin... confidence something would get done when they said they'd be doing it (turndown for ex)... at the W I was not so sure (and in fact they did miss turndown on the 2nd night). I was greeted by name and thanked for being a Platinum member at check-out. So, even with a few glitches we still loved the place and I highly recommend it.

The W is a little hard to get to as it's on a pier-like finger... only one way in and one way out. It wasn't beach weather, but in the warm weather you've got the beach at your doorstep. There were plenty of taxi's outside at all times during our stay. Took about 20 mins to get to airport. BTW, the new terminal 1 at Barcelona airport is absolutely amazing... w/o a doubt the nicest airport I've ever seen... and it was designed by the same architect who designed the W Barcelona... Ricard Bofill.

W HIGHLIGHTS... dramatic new property, great upgrades for Platinums, SPG benefits, great beach and pool in good weather.

MANDARIN ORIENTAL HIGHLIGHTS... central location for getting around town, high level of service, better food than W outlets... also keep in mind that this hotel is approx 100 euros more per night than W.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: SPG GOLD, CONTINENTAL GOLD
Studio Suite

Hey guys got upgraded from Fabulous room to a studio suite, is there much of a difference? What should I expect from a studio suite, first time in barcelona, looking forward to it.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM
Originally Posted by frostran
Hey guys got upgraded from Fabulous room to a studio suite, is there much of a difference? What should I expect from a studio suite, first time in barcelona, looking forward to it.
You'll love the hotel. The suite I mentioned above on my recent stay was a COOL CORNER SUITE. The web site shows the cool corner and the studio suites to be approx the same sq footage, so I'm sure it's a great room... both are much larger than a Fabulous room. I would guess the main difference btw the 2 suites is that one is in-line and the other is on the end of the hotel (corner). I'm sure you'll enjoy the upgrade.

p.s. - Don't miss the Picasso Museum
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineAGcom

p.s. - Don't miss the Picasso Museum
+1 and its free Sun after 4pm but you still need to go into the tkts room and ask for a tkt as w/o it they wont let you go up the stairs
Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Just got back from a 2 night stay at the W Barcelona. Cozy room upgraded to Cool Corner Suite.

WONDERFUL service and attention. Greeted by a manager at checkin who had been anticipating my arrival.

I had been communicating with @W_Barcelona on twitter and received a welcome package--including a personalized note using my twitter handle, specialized maps to cater to my interests, a mixology guide, nuts and a cocktail.

While the location is not the best during non-summer months, it certainly has raised service levels to match the quality of the property since my last stay!
Old Apr 3, 2011, 3:49 pm

Anyone's already stayed in a Marvelous or Fantastic suite with terrace?
I'd love to read about your impressions & to see accurate pictures/videos to compare with the one displayed on official website.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Does anyone know for sure whether all Marvelous suites are the same size? If some are bigger, on which floor are they?

Thanks

Last edited by d'Yquem; May 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm
Old May 20, 2011, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 20, 2011 at 12:10 pm
Old May 20, 2011, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone there now?

http://twitpic.com/500hfe
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Thumbs up A Warm Welcome Stay in the W Barcelona 2011,

Pictures: http://travel.webshots.com/album/580325755zExlox

I booked this stay for a Social Media rate. It was a great rate! I was happy to return to one of my favourit Starwood hotels which has become one of my homes far away from home.
Check in was friendly and in no time I could enter my Cool Corner Suite. It was a warm welcome, with a welcome card and welcome tapas with wine! Upon my request the hotel arranged a coffee machine with different sorts of fresh milk and delicious cookies.

This corner suite was very spacious and I enjoyed my view very much. One of reasons I do like this suite is because it offers the big black bathtub for a Wonderful Bathexperience.
It was just great to have the Marques de Riscal again with all the tastefull created tapas. Some in the form of flowers.

I had a short meeting with the manager of the hotel, he is Dutch like me. So it was easy to talk. We had a coffee in the socalled “livingroom”. It appeared the W Barcelona is a successful hotel, as one can imagine! It was pleasant conversation.

During my wonderful stay I noticed how friendly the personnel of this favourite Starwood hotel of mine is. I was recognized by the two ladies of the Bravo restaurant during breakfast. The hotel tries to make the restaurant more efficient, when it is busy guests have to wait a long time. F.i. new coffeemachines have been installed. However if you like American coffee its ok. But if you like strong coffee you better ask if they make your coffee in a different machine, in a different location!
In general I had a nice breakfast here, though I encountered the same issues like I had during my last stay. Almost no low fat breakfast products. I still had to ask where I could find the low fat yoghurt, you can only find it if you know the Catalan. The croissant are still too small i.m.o.
Quality is high, and as always I am a fan of the fruits on this buffet, its flavoured with f.i. basil.

The poolarea was closed, and some maintenance was carried out. When some guests and me walked her, on of the personnel yelled at us: Hey guys, if you wait until those guys are finished with their work… etc. I am not used or amused when hotel personnel yells at me. But we stayed and enjoyed the sun on the pooldeck and ofcourse without any dangerous activity.

During my last night I was awakened by the Fire alarm. Two times in a short timeperiod. It was rather scary since I was on a high floor and this hotel was made of a lot of glass…. I rushed out of my suite but I did not notice anything different while walking, no other guests. Perhaps it was stupid, but because nobody else was here and not alarm I used the elevator.
When arriving in the reception area it appeared some guests had been smoking and the alarm went off. Well it made me wonder if it was a good idea to have my accommodation on a high floor……..
During breakfast only a few guest did hear the alarm, but no one actually knew what happened. I still have a scary feeling when thinking of this situation. But it proves how excellent the fire alarm works in this hotel, so it rather a safe feeling knowing everything works as it should work…..

I had one strange incident. During the morning of my departure day I received my express bill, without the costs of a breakfast. When I checked out however I did go to the reception for my check out. Only at home I noticed the hotel charged me for the breakfast. It was rather strange since on the express bill it was not charged. It gave me a strange feeling. When I mailed the hotel, it appeared the breakfast was not in my arrangement. It seemed a strange affair for me.

Some remarks:
The coffee for the machine was of the Illy brand. Though it was very nice, this coffee was actual made for espresso machines.
The breakfastbuffet offers a very limited choice of low fat products and when it is available one has to know the Catalan language.
If you like strong coffee better ask for coffee from a different kind of machine.
Hope the hotel will offer a better pool experience, with a larger pool outside or a larger indoor pool.

In general, again I had a wonderful experience in this Starwood hotel, and I am looking forward for my next stay!

Pictures: http://travel.webshots.com/album/580325755zExlox

Last edited by claes059; Jun 12, 2011 at 11:02 am
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by claes059
Social Media rate. It was a great rate!
What's a "social media rate"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.