Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
oh one more thing for people wondering about money orders...

My question to these smaller banks was:

Well, if you are the ones making my money order deposit funds available for use, then why are you getting on my case if I actually take out the money? Why dont you hold the funds longer or tell me a limit?

Salem Five said: "We cant do that sir."

Ok, well... then... what would you have me do?

They cannot answer it. I'm kinda glad to not be a customer of a bank like that now anyway.

(BTW my multiple money orders were coming from other cash transactions related to coins)
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
oh one more thing for people wondering about money orders...

My question to these smaller banks was:

Well, if you are the ones making my money order deposit funds available for use, then why are you getting on my case if I actually take out the money? Why dont you hold the funds longer or tell me a limit?

Salem Five said: "We cant do that sir."

Ok, well... then... what would you have me do?

They cannot answer it. I'm kinda glad to not be a customer of a bank like that now anyway.

(BTW my multiple money orders were coming from other cash transactions related to coins)
They closed your account for a reason... suspicious activity did they not?

What I don't like about the countless stories you post is not that they are long and lengthy... you say you are handing out advice based on prior experiences, but then you post something like this:

"The other post I made was supposed to be for entertainment value only and I am happy that most of you figured that out. For those that had not, the problem is not my own. The thing is, however, that everything IN that post has in fact happen to at least one person in here. Everything mentioned was taken from actual accounts from others who do coins or related activity and have run into problems over time. All my post did was jest that it all could happen to one person. "

So there is no telling what out of your mouth is actually truth or experience you yourself have actually had. There are a lot of people who come here for advice and help and you aren't being honest. Yes, I'm calling you out on it. You seem to do a good job of "trying" to call other people out, shocking you are having a hard time with someone digging up past things you posted were actually dishonest and only for "entertainment value".
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Mods have been notified as to all of this type of activity and more.
If they want to delete what I have posted.. fine, but maybe they should post a warning about making up stories when it comes to posting in here.

The best advice you can give anyone about coins is to develop a positive relationship with the bank you bring your coins to. Make sure the amounts you bring is something they can handle. The best method I've found is to walk into a new bank and ask them if you open up an account if you can bring in x number of coins in per week... suggest that you will be willing to have a certain amount in your account at any given time and if need be can have a direct deposit set up or use your account for bill payment. If they really want to know why you bring them in more than a passing conversation tell them. You don't have to tell them every little detail but be honest with them and ask them if it is alright.

That has worked the best for me. Not every bank will do this... and over time some banks may cut you off.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:06 am

Is Twitter down or Costco closed today?
It seems the noob troublemaker has nothing to do today!
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by FTnoob101
Hmm... i beg to differ. I am in the same boat as MM...once you get the first order, it is hard to not become addicted
Yes it is very addictive. As is trying to find new ways to spend them. I love Girl Scout cookies and yesterday went to Kroger to pick up a prescription and saw the girl scouts were selling cookies outside. I went in and dropped off the RX and while I was waiting for them to fill it, I went out to my car to get some of the dollar coins and then went to their table and bought some with the coins. I was going to buy some and was thinking to myself it was a prefect way to spend some coins, their leader that was taking the money didn't seem too happy taking 15 coins I bought 4 boxes that totalled $14 and give them an extra dollar donation but she didn't seem very appreciative when I paid her in coins.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
It seems that this thread has degenerated into nothing more than "Cliff Clavin" type posts!

Cheers!
Old Mar 20, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Yes it is very addictive. As is trying to find new ways to spend them. I love Girl Scout cookies and yesterday went to Kroger to pick up a prescription and saw the girl scouts were selling cookies outside. I went in and dropped off the RX and while I was waiting for them to fill it, I went out to my car to get some of the dollar coins and then went to their table and bought some with the coins. I was going to buy some and was thinking to myself it was a prefect way to spend some coins, their leader that was taking the money didn't seem too happy taking 15 coins I bought 4 boxes that totalled $14 and give them an extra dollar donation but she didn't seem very appreciative when I paid her in coins.
Seriously? I can't stand that crap. They spend just like everything else. I'd have said if you don't want the coins, have your crappy overpriced cookies back, lady.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 3:41 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."

I would have taken all $15 back, went into Kroger and spend $5 or $10 on more cookies than the GS were selling you. Then wrote a letter to the local Girl Scout council, describing the encounter.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta FO
From what I've read here, dealing with banks is a PITA. I'll say this again - buying money orders is easy. I've bought four money orders now, for $1000 each. Each money order is 60 cents at Wal-Mart. They never have issues with the coins. Make the money order out to yourself and deposit it.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by emsox
From what I've read here, dealing with banks is a PITA. I'll say this again - buying money orders is easy. I've bought four money orders now, for $1000 each. Each money order is 60 cents at Wal-Mart. They never have issues with the coins. Make the money order out to yourself and deposit it.
Wait, money orders count to the spending requirements?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by greenythebeast
Wait, money orders count to the spending requirements?
You buy the money orders with coins.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by emsox
You buy the money orders with coins.
Must be a pain in the ... for the Walmart person who needs to complete that order lol.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by greenythebeast
Must be a pain in the ... for the Walmart person who needs to complete that order lol.
They never unroll them!
Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:36 pm

Does anyone have any experience with a large bank (or MO seller like Walmart I suppose) that doesn't require you to unroll the coins?

All of my local banks (which, in Ann Arbor, is limited to TCF and Chase) force me to put the coins through a machine. Now that giftcards.com is out of the picture it is hardly worth my time to go to the bank, unroll ALL of the coins, and feed them into the machine (only to be shorted a dollar or two per 1000).

If there was some other bank or store that I could just walk into, set the coins down, and leave that would be significantly more productive. I suspect this might be YMMV though..

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
My goodness and I thought the only insane people who do not like the way one uses these coins were only found in this thread!

I would have stopped, looked the person right in the eyes and calmly but sternly said, "Now, I paid legal US tender for these cookies just like everybody else here has and then I even tipped you $1 extra out of the goodness of my heart as a gesture toward the girl scouts for their efforts. Yet, you snarl at me because you do not approve of my method of payment (ie, cash, and not a hard-to-handle amount of it)? Sorry but that's no way to do business!"

Then I would have extracted the tip and took a bite out of one of the cookies as I turned and walked off.

Then again, some say I am a snide, remorseful, unethical, angry and horrid lying cheat of a person--and you can quote me on that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.