Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP- 2MM
Originally Posted by Miami305
As a point of reference, has anyone taken coins into a Citibank to pay off a Citicard? How was your experience?
First they didn't want to take it. Than they ended up opening a new account for me which got me 20K bonus miles and the annual fee for ALL my 8 AA MasterCards waived. (Granted I already had some money with smith Barney).
Old Mar 26, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Miami305
As a point of reference, has anyone taken coins into a Citibank to pay off a Citicard? How was your experience?
Yes, I've done this a bunch of times with no trouble. They actually have a "Substitute Payment Ticket" (with a turquoise edge) that is used for making payments towards Citi credit cards, mortgages, or other loans. Fill in your name, address, and Citi credit card number and bring it to the teller with those coins.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Today I went in to a bank at Harvard Square and dropped off a few extra coins that we didn’t give out during the week. To my surprise, the teller told me that they had to implement a new policy on these things.

Apparently, on Wednesday, some guy went in to this branch with over 150 pounds of $1 coins in Mint rolls, and, as he apparently explained to the teller in quite a bit of detail, he found out by reading a website called www.flyertalk.com that he could buy the coins using his mileage credit card, then take them straight to the bank! Then, he’d pay off his credit card and planned to repeat the process.

The teller told me that as a result, her manager had an all-staff meeting this morning in which all the tellers were informed of the incident, the cost to the bank, and a new policy was being introduced: as of now, anyone who is trying to deposit more that $20 in coins into a personal account needs to get approval.

I, and two of my friends, have been making modest deposits of coins into this branch for the past 19-20 months, never totaling more than $1,500--$2,000 or so per person per month. Together, the three of us have probably been able to deposit about $100,000 there during this time.

Now, because one person decided he needed to deposit $8,000 in a single, unannounced surprise visit, without making any prior arrangements, the branch has had enough.

So, let me make a few observations, and then a request.

-- The point of the Direct Ship program is to get the coins into circulation. Taking coins directly to the bank for immediate deposit doesn’t comply with the goal.

-- 150 pounds of coins is not subtle, and doesn’t go unnoticed.

-- Modest amounts add up over time, are easier and more reasonable for everyone involved to handle, and don’t ruin things for everyone else. (Plus, you don’t need a cart!)

And the request:
Whomever you are, please don’t ruin this at the rest of the branches around Cambridge for the rest of us. I understand that you may be leaving the area because you are graduating, have flunked out, or were just passing through town, but try to have some respect for yourself and those of us who live here. Don’t show up at any more Cambridge area banks with thousands of dollars in coins to deposit, unless you’ve already cleared it in advance with the bank manager.

Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
They actually have a "Substitute Payment Ticket" (with a turquoise edge) that is used for making payments towards Citi credit cards, mortgages, or other loans. Fill in your name, address, and Citi credit card number and bring it to the teller with those coins.
Since your making a CC payment, wouldn't it be easier and more secure to simply present the payment coupon from your statement?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
Yes, I've done this a bunch of times with no trouble. They actually have a "Substitute Payment Ticket" (with a turquoise edge) that is used for making payments towards Citi credit cards, mortgages, or other loans. Fill in your name, address, and Citi credit card number and bring it to the teller with those coins.
I have never ued a payment ticket or credit card billing stub, just slide card at teller counter machine or make payment online from Citi Website.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by pawtim
Apparently, on Wednesday, some guy went in to this branch with over 150 pounds of $1 coins in Mint rolls
Copycat, thinks he is mrpickles,....sheesh
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: WN,DL,BA
$20k max deposit in 1 day 400 lbs
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrpickles
I have never ued a payment ticket or credit card billing stub, just slide card at teller counter machine or make payment online from Citi Website.
The one and only time I paid my Citicard with coins at a Citi bank branch was to slide my card at teller counter machine. I did get a receipt showing the payment amount afterward.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
I got 150lbs next to my front door on a dolly right now. Wonder who the lucky teller will be tomorrow? Always do online payments, banks like deposits. Branches have deposit goals they need to make.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:31 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups

Last edited by nwa330; Mar 27, 2010 at 3:52 pm
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nwa330
I got 150lbs next to my front door on a dolly right now. Wonder who the lucky teller will be tomorrow? Always do online payments, banks like deposits. Branches have deposit goals they need to make.
What is the purpose of discussing about how much you are about to deposit at the branch tomorrow, rather than discussing about ways to put them into circulation, which is what the US Mint has stated what they intend?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by buschoi
What is the purpose of discussing about how much you are about to deposit at the branch tomorrow, rather than discussing about ways to put them into circulation, which is what the US Mint has stated what they intend?
Some just like to brag and make things up. It is an ego problem. I guess it makes them feel important. They are very easy to spot.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, PriorityClub, HHonors
Originally Posted by mrpickles
Copycat, thinks he is mrpickles
Your protege perhaps?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveJack
Your protege perhaps?

I am not one to brag.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
Some just like to brag and make things up. It is an ego problem. I guess it makes them feel important. They are very easy to spot.
Yes, I did make it up. The truth is it was 130lbs.
Sorry

I love how the first 500 pages were talking about coins and now its a crime to speak about them. Would you rather I speak about my toll booth experience or the reaction from my waiter? I'm sure people here don't need ideas how to spend their money. The limits are in place you don't have to worry about more articles exposing this.

Last edited by nwa330; Mar 27, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.