Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
There are all kinds of promotional items for the coins available from the mint for the coins including posters, buttons and bookmarks. I gave out the bookmarks at the register all summer to anyone interested since they list all the new coins and the year they will come out. The buttons were pretty large.

JudyJFLA
A friend of mine went into some Japanese restaurant and paid with 8 of them and they were all "Oh, wow, where'd you get these, look at these, do you have any more?" I told her next time she goes back in there ask them, how many do you want. People like those things, they're novel and interesting, and once you get used to using them, they are better than $1 bills for spending. The argument that "Oh, I don't want to hand over a $20 and get back 19 $1 coins, well that doesn't happen with $1 bills, why would it happen with $1 coins. The most $1 coins you ever need to carry is 4 (2 if we can get the Bureau of Engraving and Printing to do an Uncut $2 Sheet Direct Ship Program).

Banks could get the same materials that you talk about, but where have you ever seen a bank display any of it, even those of us who take in tens of thousands of coins at a time?

The problem isn't with us, or with the Mint, the problem is with the stupid lazy banks not wanting to do anything but borrow money from the Fed at 0% and lend it out on credit cards at 15%, and the Fed, who sees itself as working for the banks rather than the public.

BOA now has ATMs where they want you to put cash in there and it will supposedly read it and give you the right credit, and when there's a teller line they have someone trying to steer people over there - no thank you. First, I don't trust those things. Second, that's just another way to lay off tellers. My coins interfere with their ability to use those ATMS to "realize efficiency" (lay people off). I don't care what sort of illusory "profits" Bank of America is able to book using bailout money, or what kind of bonuses they are able to give managers based on those illusory profits. I care about making work for ordinary people to do so they have jobs. If it puts a little coin in my pocket, so much the better.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
I received a shipment today that was missing 1 box of $250 in coins. Anybody have that happen before? The packing list shows there should be four boxes of $250 each. I called the 800 number and was told they will send some did not receive form. Call me cynical, but I'm not confident the US Mint will sort this out very quickly and either a) refund my $250 or b) send me the coins.

The order was for $1000, and the package weight was 14.65 pounds. From what I've read, $1000 should weight closer to 18 or 19lbs, so I think it's pretty clear that the coins were never shipped to me. Hopefully this will be an open and shut case.

Last edited by bpauker; Nov 6, 2009 at 12:43 pm
Old Nov 6, 2009, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bpauker
I received a shipment today that was missing 1 box of $250 in coins. Anybody have that happen before? The packing list shows there should be four boxes of $250 each. I called the 800 number and was told they will send some did not receive form. Call me cynical, but I'm not confident the US Mint will sort this out very quickly and either a) refund my $250 or b) send me the coins.

The order was for $1000, and the package weight was 14.65 pounds. From what I've read, $1000 should weight closer to 18 or 19lbs, so I think it's pretty clear that the coins were never shipped to me. Hopefully this will be an open and shut case.
If you care to do a search on this forum (and if the search function actually works) - such incidents have been reported numerous times over a very extended period from last year ever since we could order the coins thru the direct ship program.

There are procedures to follow, but according to every reported case here, everyone eventually received the replacement shipment or the refund.

You just have to go thru the process following the instructions.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bpauker

Yes... This has happened multiple times to me. I once was short $1500 in a $5K order. Took them a full 6 weeks and many calls to resolve that. The times I was short a single $250 box, I received it within 2-3 weeks max.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:27 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
I see your judgement and morality as the sour stench here. Who are you to tell others what is right for them? I dont see anyone telling you that 5k or 10k or 100k a mo is too much or too little. Why push your agenda on someone else? Its better if you just do what you are comfortable with and let others do the same. Along the way we might share mileage or travel ideas but keep your judgements on what too much to yourself and I'll do the same.
Sorry. Looks like I hit a soft spot. But you shouldn't be so defensive. Be proud of taking what you can get without regard to anyone else and just laugh off any criticism. In other words, as you yourself tolerantly counseled someone who mentioned (naively) the subject of moderation, "Quit you're whining."
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
i was just over on the coin site and wow! every coin except for the GW is back ordered. wonder if this is typical for this time of year? i guess by this time next year, will we have enough data points to be able to predict a pattern.

what? i have been known to lapse into nerd speak from time to time.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
i was just over on the coin site and wow! every coin except for the GW is back ordered. wonder if this is typical for this time of year? i guess by this time next year, will we have enough data points to be able to predict a pattern.

what? i have been known to lapse into nerd speak from time to time.
Just noticed that. My single Pres 2x order has been "in-process" for 2 days, really hoping that there's stock to fill the order today/Mon.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by brasov02
Sorry. Looks like I hit a soft spot. But you shouldn't be so defensive. Be proud of taking what you can get without regard to anyone else and just laugh off any criticism. In other words, as you yourself tolerantly counseled someone who mentioned (naively) the subject of moderation, "Quit you're whining."
It must be tough to be the World Police. Youve got alot of reponsibility on your shoulders. We should all be so lucky that you are here to give us your rules on what is acceptable in the world of coins. You are our "Big Toe".
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:51 pm

Let's tone it down, please. Thanks.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by r.brown
Yes... This has happened multiple times to me. I once was short $1500 in a $5K order. Took them a full 6 weeks and many calls to resolve that. The times I was short a single $250 box, I received it within 2-3 weeks max.
Hmm... I've made 83 orders and never had one single roll missing. I have to wonder...
Old Nov 6, 2009, 2:21 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by chimmy826
Hmm... I've made 83 orders and never had one single roll missing. I have to wonder...
No need to wonder, it happens.

It just happened to me on my last NA order and probably because of the stupid decision to break up the shipments into "odd" amounts like 7, 6, 4, 2, etc., instead of even 10s for multiples of $2500.

They decided to break up my order of 30 boxes into 2, 7, 7, and 14.

14?

Not quite. It was actually 7 in one of the boxes that normally holds 10 and somebody, for some reason wrote "14" on the box and also typed it onto the packing slip. Had to fax in all the packing slips and am still waiting to hear back.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by chimmy826
I had it happen once in six orders. They cleared it up quickly.

Mike
Old Nov 6, 2009, 3:07 pm

"shipped 8 boxes of $250" only received 7 today...not in separate shipments as the packing slip said 8. I was told to go to the FAQ section, and type in "66" to get to the claims form. That way you don't have to wait...
Old Nov 6, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Just noticed that. My single Pres 2x order has been "in-process" for 2 days, really hoping that there's stock to fill the order today/Mon.
My multiple orders have been in-process for the entire week. I thought they would finally ship it today. No such luck. On to next week.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
BOA now has ATMs where they want you to put cash in there and it will supposedly read it and give you the right credit
It would be so much easier to design a machine that recognizes coins instead of bills. That technology has been around for years. Oh yeah, they do have them.... too bad they cannot integrate with an ATM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.