Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Maybe if you're one of the few who actually tries to spend your coins.

Otherwise, the Mint is incurring expense with this program, only to have these coins be immediately deposited and out of circulation once they're returned via the Fed.

It's really a shame that these coins aren't more successful. I find the $1 and $2 coins in foreign currency to be extremely convenient and much easier to handle than paper bills.
Whether you're one of the few or not, they will still go right to the fed. It might just take one extra transaction.

I agree that the 1 and 2 value coins are great, and I love spending the $1 here, and 1, 2, and even 5 abroad.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I began my initial distribution of these coins yesterday at the car wash I own.

Response was lukewarm at best from customers being given change in dollar coins. Some were ok with it, some requested paper bills, and almost all were unaware the mint is even producing these coins and were unsure if they were real money.

The mint is clearly not doing a good job of promoting the coinage. I'll keep on distributing until the $4000 I got runs out, but now I'm reconsidering whether to continue. I love getting the MR points, but not at the cost of upsetting a customer.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
^ I continue to use them at small businesses where credit card fees on small purchases have more of an impact on the proprieter, tips, and I change a couple of bucks/day in the drink machine at work.
Well on:

Jun 23, 08, 1:43 am #182 bowdenj
Ordered 1.

I ordered 1 box of $250.00 and starting in the last four weeks or so I've slowly started using them (they've been sitting in my desk drawer at work). All over the place - Wendy's, vending machines (when it works), bagel shop, tips, etc.

I REALLY wish the U.S. Mint went to dollar coins and got rid of dollar bills since it would save money in the long run.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: Food Lion MVP
had my first order cancelled today

5k limit on 2010 NA is blocking my quest to spend another 8k on spg amex, I need my bonus

long time lurker, thx everyone for the info posted daily to this thread
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by bowdenj
Well on:

Jun 23, 08, 1:43 am #182 bowdenj
Ordered 1.

I ordered 1 box of $250.00 and starting in the last four weeks or so I've slowly started using them (they've been sitting in my desk drawer at work). All over the place - Wendy's, vending machines (when it works), bagel shop, tips, etc.

I REALLY wish the U.S. Mint went to dollar coins and got rid of dollar bills since it would save money in the long run.
If this is your first order, I applaud you for ordering just one box. Getting your feet wet is always a good idea! There are several bars and pizza places that take cash only in my town. I don't know if they do this to save on the credit card transaction fee or to make money off of their ATM? But I am more than happy to give them a roll or two worth of dollar coins

It looks as if most people are getting their orders canceled after hitting the max, so if you don't mind just doing a box or two a month I think most people who go out often could keep a roll in the car and use them pretty often.

Also, if you are posting about your orders being canceled, we get it already!!! haha The mint is cutting you off after you have ordered your limit. It might be useful if more people posted if they are using the same name/address/credit card instead of just saying you've been cut off. There are short term ways to get around it if it's the credit card, and if it's the address for a small fee you could take care of that as well. But it would be helpful to know what the limiting factor is. Also, I'm happy to see a lot of posts talking about how people are using the coins instead of depositing them all at the bank, glad to know I'm not the only one.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Mike1625
I just got back from a great weekend in New Orleans that would make all those on flyertalk proud of me.
I was really hoping for some comment about tipping the strippers.

Originally Posted by MYRflyer
had my first order cancelled today

5k limit on 2010 NA is blocking my quest to spend another 8k on spg amex, I need my bonus

long time lurker, thx everyone for the info posted daily to this thread
I've had a bunch canceled. It's coming to an end for me.

Originally Posted by nwa330
Anyone get the sold out email today?

Greetings from the United States Mint.
Thank you for ordering from the United States Mint.
We regret to inform you that the item(s) listed below
are currently sold out. A customer service representative
will be happy to assist you in finding an alternative item.

Order # 336xxxx - 1
Sold To xxxxx
Ship To xxxxxxxx

Item: Y08 Qty: 2
MARTIN VAN BUREN $250 BOX $1 COINS
Yup, got that also.

Mike
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mikeef
Yup, got that also.
Same here -- for a different item, and I was under the stated limit with no duplicate orders.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Looks like all coins are now showing unavailable till 2/2 or 2/12 now...
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: IHG Spire, BW Diamond Select, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
I was really hoping for some comment about tipping the strippers.
Wouldn't dollar coins roll out of the garter?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: Several dozen
What do you think the "odd pattern of purchases" was?

Those excessively large orders? That were later confirmed in in-your-face mint postings that do not make fraud, audit and management happy campers?

Problem now is the mint is restricting orders, but not giving folks the actual restrictions, except in the case of the NA's which were quickly hit with excessively large orders.

How can we sufficiently change the economy if we can't get sufficient change from the mint? The American public voted for presidential change not witholding presidential change.

Originally Posted by Aitchly
According to the mint, internal accounting showed *an odd pattern of purchases*. Letters were sent. THEN, the mint checked FT and FW to confirm the evidence they had accumulated and already acted upon. (In the meantime, thousands were helped by this thread). FOI request showed no evidence of congressional complaint from Voldemort, his claims remain unsubstantiated.

The program became limited due to the diligence of the Mint, not to any complaints or any evidence of large orders.

The upshot is, in order to 'buy presidential dollar coins with CC @ face value, free shipping' you (now) need to buy in quantities that are suggested by the mint, or have a valid reason for exceeding those limits.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Problem now is the mint is restricting orders, but not giving folks the actual restrictions,
Whatever "problem" there is lies with the OP, not the Mint.
There is a 2-box cumulative limit per issue on Presidential $1 Coins.
There is a 2-box cumulative household limit on 2001 Golden Dollars featuring Sacagawea.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:29 pm

According to the mint, internal accounting showed an odd pattern of purchases. Letters were sent. THEN, the mint checked FT and FW to confirm the evidence they had accumulated and already acted upon. (In the meantime, thousands were helped by this thread). FOI request showed no evidence of congressional complaint from Voldemort, his claims remain unsubstantiated.

The program became limited due to the diligence of the Mint, not to any complaints or any evidence of large orders.

The upshot is, in order to 'buy presidential dollar coins with CC @ face value, free shipping' you (now) need to buy in quantities that are suggested by the mint, or have a valid reason for exceeding those limits.
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
What do you think the "odd pattern of purchases" was?

Those excessively large orders? That were later confirmed in in-your-face mint postings that do not make fraud, audit and management happy campers?
The odd pattern was likely the 99 boxes of NAs ordered multiple times by hundreds of people. The mint sent letters asking what in the world was happening. My guess is, if those 400+ letters were replied to, consistent, and explanatory, the game would still be going on.
After those letters were ignored, the Mint presumably started to figure out how to throttle back the program for abusers. Then, the Mint finally hit upon FT, FW, and SD and saw the multiple orders explained more clearly thus reinforcing their decision to throttle back.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Location: UA UGS 1K; US Chairman: AA Platinum: Marriott Platinum Premier; *wood Gold
I received an email a couple of days ago that my order for 4 boxes of NA and a few other orders were on backorder until early February. This afternoon I got a shipping notice with a tracking number for my order of NA's. There appears to be a great deal of confusion at the Mint these days.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:44 pm

The mint is going through inventory right now....
Old Jan 26, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
the Mint presumably started to figure out how to throttle back the program for abusers.
Your choice of "abusers" is very subjective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.