Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by craz
Where BTW can I purchase a coach tkt to Europe for less than $320, $70 txs your # and $250 for S&H?
I think the poster's point was that if shipping were $5 for 1,000 miles and this was readily repeatable, he could get a saver ticket to Europe (50,000 miles plus taxes) for the equivalent of $320 out-of-pocket.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:22 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
Nofirmed, no shipping charges ! When I ordered it said $4.95 but that disappeared as I progressed through the order screens and was not listed as a charge on the email notification!

QUESTION: Anyone know the order limit? Not per order, that's limited to $500 per president, but can we make multiple orders? I tried and it went through, then got an email later saying they were canceling my second order
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dole
Nofirmed, no shipping charges ! When I ordered it said $4.95 but that disappeared as I progressed through the order screens and was not listed as a charge on the email notification!

QUESTION: Anyone know the order limit? Not per order, that's limited to $500 per president, but can we make multiple orders? I tried and it went through, then got an email later saying they were canceling my second order
So far no email for cancellation of my 2nd order. However , my order was for 2 different coins each time. So I never ordered the same Presidental coin more then 1 time

It maybe if you order even just $250 of 1 coin thats it and it wont allow you to order another $250 for a total of $500 the max per coin. So it maybe $500 max per coin and only one time that you may order any 1 coin. Thusly its best to max out at $500 the 1st time you order. Keep in mind the $500 max is also per address.

Id try using a different CC and having it sent to a different address then the 1st order was sent to
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
yes inded it worked. I had done 2 sep $500 orders yesterday --one for each pres, and I did 2 at the same time today whereas the shipping dissapeared on the screen where you add your card and place order.

Now that it's potential for 2,000 miles in one period of coinage, I am compelled to order these for my mom's house, my condo in VT (But there'd possibly be an issue as to who'd be there to pick them up--unless the post office could hold the boxes) and some other friends or relatives that need miles. Some people like to get miles from deals like these only if they come in big chunks./
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:37 am

I'm in for 2 boxes to 2 addresses. I've been using the last batch quite a bit. Bus, those stores that have a CC minimum and parking meters. Good stuff.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 9:53 am

I'm in for 2 boxes x 250 x 4 presidents.

Trying to qualify for my new SPG card's bonus (spend $15k in first 6 months of card usage, earn a bonus 15k SPG points).

This will give me a decent head start ^
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:12 am

OT

I ordered some.

My dad ordered some.

We use the same billing address...one of our orders was canceled.

I understand the limit of one per tax payer, but the limit of one per household does not seem legal if someone would want to pursue this.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by AAaLot
I understand the limit of one per tax payer, but the limit of one per household does not seem legal if someone would want to pursue this.
Pretty sure they're well within their rights to impose such a restriction.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold
I've been waiting for more coins to become available. I'm trying to reach the 15k spend on a new SPG card for the 15k bonus. This will definitely get me closer!

Thanks for posting the updates!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not for nuthin but in my opinion, one really gets the best mileage bang for the buck (NPI) on this sort of thing if they simply take the coins directly to the bank, use them to pay the CC back and be done with them. Once you start pipddling around, saving and using them here or there, it kinda defeats the purpose. Of course, those doing that ARE actually justifying the free shipping by actually USING these things for what they were intended for and not just to churn miles.

just a few 'cents' worth from the MM
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OT

I ordered some.

My dad ordered some.

We use the same billing address...one of our orders was canceled.

you could always have your address be "XXX street, Apartment #1" whereas dad has no #

after all, I am sure a computer reads these so it would be different, right?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
you could always have your address be "XXX street, Apartment #1" whereas dad has no #

after all, I am sure a computer reads these so it would be different, right?
Often, it is not that easy... many large-scale operations like this will validate addresses against a USPS database in some manner.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by gwarboy
Four more presidential dollar coins are available as of today. Same deal, max $500 worth of coins (per coin design).

And free S&H. ^

New restriction "to ensure fair and equal access": Orders placed before noon (EDT) on Aug 11th will not be fulfilled.

Coins now available:

James Munroe (Y05)
James Madison (Y04)
Thomas Jefferson (Y03)
John (not Quincy) Adams (Y02)
gwarboy, thank you very much for the update.

Ordered another $2000 worth (two cases of each president, no shipping charge btw to those who are asking). At this rate not only am I going to qualify for the 15K bonus SPG for spending $15K, but, also get the Gold Status in the SPG for $30K spending in a year.

Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by emmpee
Pretty sure they're well within their rights to impose such a restriction.
A private company can set up whatever rules they want...as far as I am concerned they can discriminate by race, religion, even street numbers, etc.

However, a government entity should not. In this case, rich people with multiple address could order as much as they want. Poor people living 10 to a house could not.

Why can't I buy some because my dad did? I actually pay more taxes than he does. Just because he votes, it does not mean I cannot vote.

Like in the case of i-bonds the limit should be based on taxpayers (i.e. SS#), not if live on an even or odd based address.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A private company can set up whatever rules they want...as far as I am concerned they can discriminate by race, religion, even street numbers, etc.

However, a government entity should not. In this case, rich people with multiple address could order as much as they want. Poor people living 10 to a house could not.

Why can't I buy some because my dad did? I actually pay more taxes than he does. Just because he votes, it does not mean I cannot vote.

Like in the case of i-bonds the limit should be based on taxpayers (i.e. SS#), not if live on an even or odd based address.

most here might agree with you and yeah maybe this is somehow unjust but the fact remains it is their policy and they are the seller to which you agree to buy under conditions XY & Z. That being said, it dont mean those conditions are RIGHT. After all, you are dealing with big company policy makers who may not have thought thru all the WHAT IFS and are using computers to process everything!

To beat that, if they DO in fact check addresses, which they may very well do, why not simply go down to your town hall, assign the basement of your home to an "Apartment #1" and then tell the post office about it too. You may even add a second box on the pole that's holding up the one at the end of your driveway. For this gig alone, you can use it to do everything. You could easily call CS at any credit card to get them to upsate the address right away.

After all, the US Mint ordering system DOES give room for not just one, two, but THREE address lines!
use em!

(I still say you could probably TRY to get the order to go thru without having to register your home, but just change your CC and make up the apt. # thing to match it)

now, will my 3 orders go thru? I got $500 of one pres, then $500 of a second pres, and then today, $1000 of the 3rd and 4th of those mentioned above. Will they cancel all but the first one because of the way the rules are written?? Or will they let these go thru cuz they were in fact different presidents?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.