Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:24 pm

Package arrived, safely packed, and return address as "fullfillment center."
Now...to put these coins into circulation.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by mooper
If the coin purchase, your opportunity cost, and all else that is involved in the "conversion" is worth a few bucks to you - go for it!
Thanks for your blessing, I did.
Coins delivered, friends amused to see them, happy deal.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:29 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
I didn't say risk-free. My point is that there is an opportunity cost to having $500 in coins sitting around waiting to be spent, as you can invest conservatively and earn 4%, fairly conservatively and earn 8%, and aggressively for 10%+.
actually you could invest the $500 you get from depositing coins (that are more of a interest-free cash advance), and pay the cc bill a month later without being out a penny.

if anything, you are losing money by not doing this as opposed to this costing you more money.

that probably makes no sense, but here is what i am trying to say.

6/15 coins ship, cc charged
6/20 you have $500
6/21 you deposit $500
6/22 you invest $500
7/1 you get cc bill
8/1 you pay cc bill - $500 w/o any interest

for five weeks you have been earning 4%, 8% or 10% (your numbers).

oh and you get miles for your interest free cash advance.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:33 pm

actually you could invest the $500 you get from depositing coins (that are more of a interest-free cash advance), and pay the cc bill a month later without being out a penny.

if anything, you are losing money by not doing this as opposed to this costing you more money.
Beautiful. Glad there are other like-minded folks out there.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by imasosec
Actually, the previous 5,
OOPS! You know, at one time, I had memorized all 40 presidents (this was a few years ago ), and most of their vice-presidents. Seems it was overwritten when I started memorizing obscure airport codes...
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Sam - DFW
Absolutlely correct. I was addressing those who were planning on slowly spending the coins rather than investing them. However, even those who invest must be comfortable with the risks associated with the order and the relatively meager return for the effort of ordering/depositing/investing. If we were talking about $100 o even $50 on a $500 purchase, I could understand how some folks would deem it worthwhile, but for ~$10?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Absolutlely correct. I was addressing those who were planning on slowly spending the coins rather than investing them. However, even those who invest must be comfortable with the risks associated with the order and the relatively meager return for the effort of ordering/depositing/investing. If we were talking about $100 o even $50 on a $500 purchase, I could understand how some folks would deem it worthwhile, but for ~$10?
Make that $30-45 for me. I used my Citi Amex Plat with 3 TY points per dollar. I can easily get 2 cents per point redeeming for flights (fixed-point redemption), 3 cents with a bit more work (business class).

I wouldn't have done it for $10. Too much chance that something could go wrong, like somebody grabbing the coins from the mailbox.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 2:59 pm

Got my coins in the mailbox today. Took a box ($250) to bank america. Chick looked at them a little funny, but didn't say much. Easy deposit. I will do the other $250 tommorrow. I didn't want to do them all at once because I think they would be more likely to question it. I may place another order......oh, and forgot, they have not charged my credit card still.

Last edited by jimglobe; Jun 26, 2008 at 3:09 pm
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I am a merchant, so I will use them in the till instead of $1 bills.
As for the per person limit, do they need a signature for delivery to a po box (we have no street delivery in East Glacier)? I am thinking of using my dog's card and address for an order.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
You're the kind of customer the Mint really wants! ^^
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K; PC RA
As for the per person limit, do they need a signature for delivery to a po box (we have no street delivery in East Glacier)? I am thinking of using my dog's card and address for an order.
No signature here.
My mailman just left the Mint package in my mailbox with the regular mail.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:52 pm

I don't think there is a per person limit, only per order limit. Order 2 boxes as many times as you want.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
changes make it not worth it now...

Unless I've missed something, there be new rules on the site:

1) new orders shipping 7/11

2) standard shipping is 1-2 weeks @ $4.95

3) expedited shipping is 2-3 business days @ $17.90/

ahh, well, all good things do change in FT land.

MM
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K; PC RA
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Unless I've missed something, there be new rules on the site:

1) new orders shipping 7/11

2) standard shipping is 1-2 weeks @ $4.95

3) expedited shipping is 2-3 business days @ $17.90/

ahh, well, all good things do change in FT land.

MM

It's true that the screen you saw lets you pick only from the above two shipping options.

But once you pick the $4.95 option and go to the next screen, you'll find that the shipping & handling is back to $0.00.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:10 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Just how large/heavy are these coins? As a customer, I don't think I would be too happy with $4 change in bulky coins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.