Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2024 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2024, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Please fill the form out to contribute!

DATAPOINT COLLECTION: https://forms.gle/trtMWXZp4mKUk31m7
VIEW DATAPOINTS: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2024 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by lensovet
Lol I don’t know how self-centered you have to be to believe this. Have you ever worked a retail job?

These shutdowns are happening because these cards are used for fraud and money laundering and because huge corporations who don’t even know what MM is don’t want to be caught having to prove their lack of liability over this stuff.

But sure, if believing that some clerks with zero power got upset over some internet bros going on nice flights overseas for free is what triggered these changes helps you sleep at night, I won’t stop you.
Did you mean to write "MS" instead of "MM"?
lensovet likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:33 am

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Yep sorry, edited

Though I suspect most people at Walmart have no idea what MM is either.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by ra7
You can get them at CVS or WM
Walgreens also sells them, as do some grocery stores.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
The world is larger than a 30-minute radius of your house. Your generalizations are not valid, as several posters have shown. Data points are useful, the-sky-is-falling proclamations are not.
My "generatlzations" as just as relevant as others proclaiming success.
I am writing about me and my. I never claimed to speaking for others.

Or are we only allowed to post happy stories?

Yeah, MS works great everywhere. Keep on doing it. No problems guys.
MS to the max.
Let's not have any negativity.
hurnik likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by bdwyfan
At the WMs near me, the anti-VGC edict has spread down from management and the employees are being obxious about it.
They insist on seeing the "debit" card being used.
Do you show them a real debit card, then switch what you are swiping or what is the strategy to avoid burning that location.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:16 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
They're cracking down at the local WMs.
Swiping is a dead giveaway.
in your town it is, in the amazing middle of nowhere Mid West, it is NOT. So, sad your Walmarts are dead! ours are alive and well.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:21 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
My "generatlzations" as just as relevant as others proclaiming success.
I am writing about me and my. I never claimed to speaking for others.

Or are we only allowed to post happy stories?

Yeah, MS works great everywhere. Keep on doing it. No problems guys.
MS to the max.
Let's not have any negativity.
No, on contraire, just because you burned your stores doesn't mean this game is dead. Still up and running and my CSRs are happier to take VGCs than having to deal with $100 dollar bills that might be counterfeit or false.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
My two replacement cards didn’t work. I called (I should have the number on speed dial) and am getting a check sent to me from them.
My replacement cards aren't working in usps/wm. The rep says there's nothing wrong with them and I should use them at a different merchant. No checks were offered. Are the cards supposed to fail at 'regular' merchants for them to offer checks?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by DjRocket
My replacement cards aren't working in usps/wm
Yep, replacements are often screwed too. Cashiers getting suspicious.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:34 pm
soy

Programs: various
DP - I have been operating under the idea there was a $1500 velocity limit at WM for Vanillas (at least that was my theory after a few declines at the end of last year)

Yesterday I bought a $995 MO using 2 Sutton 500's (full drains have caused card lock-ups recently)
Then I loaded a $1k Simon Sutton to Disco and it went through.
All cards - 411810
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:29 pm
ra7

I bought a Money Order @WM end of January and deposited through ATM at a local credit union into my other credit union in a different state. The local credit when processing the MO deemed the amount as non-recognizable and reversed the deposit. In the past when it happened like this they sent the MO to the out of state credit union for them to process manually. But in this case they never sent it to the bank and I went and spoke to the local credit union and showed them the deposit receipt and MO receipt. But they don't have any record of MO in their records. They pulled other MO copies they sent to the credit union but not his one. I have the purchase receipt from WM, Money order Stub, and the deposit receipt. What are my next steps at this point. File a lost MO report with Western Union or reach out to Walmart and see if they can reprint it?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ra7
I bought a Money Order @WM end of January and deposited through ATM at a local credit union into my other credit union in a different state. The local credit when processing the MO deemed the amount as non-recognizable and reversed the deposit. In the past when it happened like this they sent the MO to the out of state credit union for them to process manually. But in this case they never sent it to the bank and I went and spoke to the local credit union and showed them the deposit receipt and MO receipt. But they don't have any record of MO in their records. They pulled other MO copies they sent to the credit union but not his one. I have the purchase receipt from WM, Money order Stub, and the deposit receipt. What are my next steps at this point. File a lost MO report with Western Union or reach out to Walmart and see if they can reprint it?
1. WM cannot just "reprint" your lost MO. MOs are negotiable instruments that you buy with other financial instruments such as credit or debit cards. You bought from WM a MO and paid for it with something such as a debit card or credit card or cash. The two transactions balance out. It is impossible to just make another MO without the balancing credit to go along with it.
2. Your local CU has both a physical record receipt of you depositing a MO as well as a video that each machine takes of each transaction. They must have seen the MO in order to reject it due to its being illegible or non-recognizable. For them to claim that they couldn't recognize the amount of the MO because the MO simply didn't exist is pretty ludicrous.
3. Your distant CU has no involvement in this game.
Press your case with the local CU manager. Bring your MO receipt, deposit receipt and a request to review the ATM video to substantiate your claim of making a deposit at the time indicated on your ATM receipt. That should be adequate in most cases but filing a complaint with the CFPB is always an option if all else fails.

Just another reason I use real live tellers when making deposits unless they are mobile deposits of checks.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
1. WM cannot just "reprint" your lost MO. MOs are negotiable instruments that you buy with other financial instruments such as credit or debit cards. You bought from WM a MO and paid for it with something such as a debit card or credit card or cash. The two transactions balance out. It is impossible to just make another MO without the balancing credit to go along with it.
2. Your local CU has both a physical record receipt of you depositing a MO as well as a video that each machine takes of each transaction. They must have seen the MO in order to reject it due to its being illegible or non-recognizable. For them to claim that they couldn't recognize the amount of the MO because the MO simply didn't exist is pretty ludicrous.
Press your case with the local CU manager. Bring your MO receipt, deposit receipt and a request to review the ATM video to substantiate your claim of making a deposit at the time indicated on your ATM receipt. That should be adequate in most cases but filing a complaint with the CFPB is always an option if all else fails.

Just another reason I use real live tellers when making deposits unless they are mobile deposits of checks.
Where are you able to buy a MO with a credit card?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Zepcro
Where are you able to buy a MO with a credit card?
A local grocery store chain in Utah used to allow it a long time ago.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:49 pm
ra7

Originally Posted by radonc1

Thank you. I will reach out to the bank manager and provide an update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.