Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SecureSpend Tampered?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2023, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
SecureSpend Tampered?

Packaging looked good and there were no evident cracks. The exposed barcode had texture. No paper covering the barcode, everything checked out.
$500 SecureSpend BIN 4097 5805

Went to swipe at WM and got a "error reading card"
Tried multiple swipes and no go.
The adhesive on the card was really dried out and rock solid.

However, the numbers on the card match up online and show as loaded.
Is this just a dud card?

Last edited by lowkeyflyer; Aug 23, 2023 at 12:11 am
Old Aug 23, 2023, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
Packaging looked good and there were no evident cracks. The exposed barcode had texture. No paper covering the barcode, everything checked out.
$500 SecureSpend BIN 4097 5805

Went to swipe at WM and got a "error reading card"
Tried multiple swipes and no go.
The adhesive on the card was really dried out and rock solid.

However, the numbers on the card match up online and show as loaded.
Is this just a dud card?
Sounds like a dud card. Maybe damage to the magnetic strip.
lowkeyflyer likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 2:08 am

Same happened to me. I just spent it online on a bill. Didn't want to file ticket with incomm and wait weeks for replacement card.
lowkeyflyer likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jumbotron_
Same happened to me. I just spent it online on a bill. Didn't want to file ticket with incomm and wait weeks for replacement card.
Goddamnit...
Old Aug 23, 2023, 7:58 pm

Same happened to me for the first time with SS's. I think the hard "adhesive" on the card was simply super glue meant to screw up the magnetic strip and stop it from being swipeable so the thieves have more time to cash the money out of the card. As the above poster mentions, cash that thing out as quickly as possible (to Amazon, prepay your utility bills or taxes, whatever you can) so that you don't have to fight Incomm and wait to get your funds back.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Same happened to me for the first time with SS's. I think the hard "adhesive" on the card was simply super glue meant to screw up the magnetic strip and stop it from being swipeable so the thieves have more time to cash the money out of the card. As the above poster mentions, cash that thing out as quickly as possible (to Amazon, prepay your utility bills or taxes, whatever you can) so that you don't have to fight Incomm and wait to get your funds back.
So you're thinking that it is actually a compromised card and not just a dud?
Old Aug 24, 2023, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Welp

Its definitely a dud card at minimum. Tried swiping again today and same error read, even after I wiped it down with an alcohol wipe.

I called SecureSpend to get a case going and they told me that the investigation takes AT MINIMUM 30 business days which is totally insane.

I wish I had any spend to do online but theres literally none. I dont use Amazon or anything like that.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 12:24 pm

i bought a vanilla visa that was just like this. glue super hard, very difficult to scrape off, not like my typical vanilla or secure spend. i put to side to save to pay bills that come up around the 1st of month. i check today and the balance has been drained! i bought on 8/19, but it was drained by a "F Z MARKET" on 8/23. i will call Sutton/Incomm, but I am not optimistic that I can recover this, particularly b/c I already discarded packaging, receipts, etc. Likely will be a very expensive lesson learned.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jtcho78
i bought a vanilla visa that was just like this. glue super hard, very difficult to scrape off, not like my typical vanilla or secure spend. i put to side to save to pay bills that come up around the 1st of month. i check today and the balance has been drained! i bought on 8/19, but it was drained by a "F Z MARKET" on 8/23. i will call Sutton/Incomm, but I am not optimistic that I can recover this, particularly b/c I already discarded packaging, receipts, etc. Likely will be a very expensive lesson learned.
It doesn't seem like you need to keep the packaging because the serial number of the card is printed on the card itself. I would imagine the receipt is sufficient but yeah, probably an expensive lesson.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by jtcho78
A few years ago I had a compromised vanilla card and also threw out the packaging and receipt. Incomm still reimbursed luckily..though I would call them asap.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jumbotron_
A few years ago I had a compromised vanilla card and also threw out the packaging and receipt. Incomm still reimbursed luckily..though I would call them asap.
We should be specific with our terminology and diction.
When you say compromised, do you mean that the card was broken into and replaced?

Or just that you received a dud card?
Old Aug 25, 2023, 2:38 pm

We should be specific with our terminology and diction.
When you say compromised, do you mean that the card was broken into and replaced?

Or just that you received a dud card?
Drained by a scammer
Old Aug 25, 2023, 4:52 pm
Idk

Welp

Its definitely a dud card at minimum. Tried swiping again today and same error read, even after I wiped it down with an alcohol wipe.

I called SecureSpend to get a case going and they told me that the investigation takes AT MINIMUM 30 business days which is totally insane.

I wish I had any spend to do online but theres literally none. I dont use Amazon or anything like that.
I dont understand what there is to investigate. If you say the mag strip is bad, and they can see the card still has $500 on it, why not just inactivate the current card and mail you a new one? I would be irritated. Did you ask them why they cant immediately reissue a new card? Theres obviously been no fraud to investigate. Sounds like feet dragging on their part.
upright0744 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Idk
I dont understand what there is to investigate. If you say the mag strip is bad, and they can see the card still has $500 on it, why not just inactivate the current card and mail you a new one? I would be irritated. Did you ask them why they cant immediately reissue a new card? Theres obviously been no fraud to investigate. Sounds like feet dragging on their part.
I did and I even asked to expedite the 30 days. They say it's a hard policy and need to follow by the book. It's totally ridiculous. I made it extremely clear to them that it's not fraud but just a faulty card.
Idk likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

..... Two more dud SecureSpends out of my local WM...

Here are the key differences:
A clean, good SS comes with 4 adhesives.
1. On the front there is one long strip right above the 16 digits.
2. On the back, two dots right below the barcode, and one long strip in the middle of the card

The tampered ones:
Missing all 4 of these
Instead have one dot adhesive on the rear.

Refer to my screenshots:

GOOD - 3 adhesive

GOOD - Middle adhesive

TAMPERED - Missing front adhesive and only has one on back
Clueless12 and liw5215 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.