Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Klemhuzzah
Signing up to buy $1000 visa/mc gift cards
You can buy the $1000 cards on Simon's volume site. Their regular site only sells $500 cards.
If you're new, or haven't bought anything in a year, you need to register at https://www.simon.com/volume/register-consumer
As part of the registration process, you will have to go to a brick and mortar mall and buy at least $3000 in cards in person, as well as filling out some paperwork while there. After that, you can do everything online.

As of Nov 2020, Simon Mall Gift cards will only work for $99/swipe for money services at Walmart and many grocery chains.

$1000 gift cards are available indefinitely.

2020 Promotions

Ongoing: FREEGROUND - Free Ground Shipping on any order size. Limited to 5 orders per customer. Expires December 31, 2020 (subject to change).

5/15-6/17: MDHOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 9 more cards
5/15/5/31: MAYGROUND - Free UPS Ground shipping on orders of 7 or more cards
5/15-6/31: MAY20VG10 - 10% off purchase fees on Visa Giftcards
6/29-7/20: JUL4HOL20 - 20% off Visa Giftcard Purchase Fees + Free Ground Shipping on orders of 5 or more cards. If you select a shipping other than Ground - the code will still take 20% off the purchase fees. Limited to 10 orders per customer.
8/11-8/31: AUG20PR - 15% off ALL fees (excl. shipping fees) on orders of 5 or more cards. Limited to 10 orders per customer (Originally expired on 8/23; on 8/24 promo was extended through 8/31)
10/12-10/14: FSOCT20 - 30% off all purchase fees on Visas and Mastercards.
10/26-10/31 - FS20SCARY - 35% off all purchase fees
11/1-11/30 - HOL20MC25 - 25% off all purchase fees on MasterCard / HOL20VG25 - 25% off all purchase fees on Visa / HOL20AG50 50% off all purchase fees on American Express
11/6-11/8 - FS20THANKS - 35% off all purchase fees

11/16-11/18 - FS20SAVINGS - 35% off all purchase fees

Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards (2019-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Interesting DP, also posted in WM MO thread:

I just tried to buy a 998 MO with one swipe, at a very small neighborhood grocery chain which has WU. I kept getting errors and receipt said “call auth center”. This place is very localized with only two stores in the city so it’s definitely not something that would be on Meta's radar but they did recently upgraded to pull-out Ingenico swipe terminals. Those small types with just a keypad and tiny screen. I wonder if it is indeed processing network related.

I'll have to swing by their other store in town and try a $98 MO, and if that works, it'll confirm some of my suspicions.
Thanks for doing the trials. It doesn't make me very happy that your small grocery store did not work, as I was successful on Thursday with a $999.12 WU MO at a mom-and-pop grocery store. I had planned on doing the same on Wednesday, but may pass. It sounds like something is truly up with Meta. Although I haven't tried green dot, USB, etc to see if they are impacted.

I'm also hearing that $99 per swipe may also no longer work. ???
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by TTT103
Thanks for doing the trials. It doesn't make me very happy that your small grocery store did not work, as I was successful on Thursday with a $999.12 WU MO at a mom-and-pop grocery store. I had planned on doing the same on Wednesday, but may pass. It sounds like something is truly up with Meta. Although I haven't tried green dot, USB, etc to see if they are impacted.

I'm also hearing that $99 per swipe may also no longer work. ???
My larger regional local grocery chain was ok with 1k swipes as of 2 days ago, same with our local Safeway-affiliate. Not sure what's up but it seems like WM isn't being singled out OR it's some glitch with processing / terminals that's not affecting everyone equally.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by redtop43
The T&C state "Your Card cannot be (1) redeemed for cash value (2) used to obtain cash in any transaction (3) used for illegal transactions" (and some other irrelevant stuff).

Cash is cash. A money order is not cash, although it could be argued that it is a "cash equivalent" but cash is cash.
I bolded the response to your question.

Sadly, MOs can be considered "cash value" which is specifically prohibited in the first T&C posted.

You also cannot use GCs to buy bullion or bitcoin (or it's ilks).

All of these are considered "cash equivalents" by governments and strictly monitored for ML and other nefarious activities
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
My larger regional local grocery chain was ok with 1k swipes as of 2 days ago, same with our local Safeway-affiliate. Not sure what's up but it seems like WM isn't being singled out OR it's some glitch with processing / terminals that's not affecting everyone equally.
I just got a $400 MO with 2 swipes of GEs at a local grocer.

This is not going to be a sustainable way of proceeding, unfortunately, because I will have to keep my number of GCs low in number in case something else befalls us (I don't want to have to use them the way it was intended).
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
The T&C state "Your Card cannot be (1) redeemed for cash value (2) used to obtain cash in any transaction (3) used for illegal transactions" (and some other irrelevant stuff).

Cash is cash. A money order is not cash, although it could be argued that it is a "cash equivalent" but cash is cash.
I'm not sure calling up Simon to tell them you can't buy MO's makes sense. Or maybe it does. Also, the problem isn't running the card as credit, it's running it as Debit. So your Amex story probably doesn't help here.

I've seen DPs on reddit that suggest BHN's official position is that these giftcards cannot be used for MOs/cash access. What we've been doing is nothing more than a loophole.

This month, it was declined and BlackHawk's CSR (contacted through phone # on back of card) states that it's flagging the transaction as a money order / cash access transaction and denying the transaction.
I suspect when we get to the bottom of the rabbit hole, Blackhawk is the one who officially does not support MO purchases. The way WM codes the transactions may change over time to support that.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by CerealCardSpender
I'm not sure calling up Simon to tell them you can't buy MO's makes sense. Or maybe it does. Also, the problem isn't running the card as credit, it's running it as Debit. So your Amex story probably doesn't help here.
I was very much against that when issues started weeks ago, but now it probably does not matter a whole lot as this MS avenue is pretty much dead given the limits in place. If Simon can somehow convince BHN to remove the restriction then great, if not, well, it's unlikely to get worse.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Deleted - Mods please remove
littlewinglet likes this.

Last edited by redtop43; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:35 am
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:42 pm

If Simon is just using MS revenues to make the books look better for investors,.... well....I mean it's not Wells Fargo territory, but it's not far off. Moral of the story, buy Simon VGC but don't go investing in Simon Mall lol.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
If Simon is just using MS revenues to make the books look better for investors,.... well....I mean it's not Wells Fargo territory, but it's not far off. Moral of the story, buy Simon VGC but don't go investing in Simon Mall lol.
Can you blame them? Look at all the end-of-quarter add-a-line promos on dishonest cell phone carriers (e.g. T-Mobile) that pay you $100-250 GCs to add a line and hold it for 2 months for them to fake subscriber numbers for reporting purposes to scam their shareholders. At least you can use those to pay off Citi...
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:32 am
soy

Programs: various
don't go investing in Simon Mall lol.
ha ha, between covid and this, now is the time to go short on Simon. They are as guilty as us in exploiting the loopholes. I do not think they have much in the way of leverage with BHN or the banks when it comes to restoring the situation.

It might even have been Simon online 1k's that triggered some of this shut down. Many of us experienced fraud with those and given the high denominations, this could have sparked something off
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:44 am
ogg

This is getting silly. The Simon Property Group is a giant corporation which does about $5 billion dollars in sales each year. The notion that it is cooking its books with gift card sales somehow or its stock value depends on profits from gift cards is nonsensical. Gift card sales are a teeny tiny percentage of Simon's business.

Simon is not responsible for whatever the heck is going on. I'm sure it has no idea what to do to fix it. It certainly doesn't want this situation to continue--why would it?

Remember, too, that you shouldn't pay attention to what your local mall employees or even your product manager (if you have one) says about the situation. They don't know either. They can guess. They mean well. They may have asked someone who also doesn't know and made stuff up. They're not evil--they're just people who try to be helpful but don't know the facts. .
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by ogg
This is getting silly. The Simon Property Group is a giant corporation which does about $5 billion dollars in sales each year. The notion that it is cooking its books with gift card sales somehow or its stock value depends on profits from gift cards is nonsensical. Gift card sales are a teeny tiny percentage of Simon's business.

Simon is not responsible for whatever the heck is going on. I'm sure it has no idea what to do to fix it. It certainly doesn't want this situation to continue--why would it?

Remember, too, that you shouldn't pay attention to what your local mall employees or even your product manager (if you have one) says about the situation. They don't know either. They can guess. They mean well. They may have asked someone who also doesn't know and made stuff up. They're not evil--they're just people who try to be helpful but don't know the facts. .
Right, because no multi-billion corporation has ever had accounting fraud / shadyness, and none of them ever manipulate revenue numbers to influence stock price. That just doesn't happen in our financial system.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:16 am
ogg

Right, because no multi-billion corporation has ever had accounting fraud / shadyness, and none of them ever manipulate revenue numbers to influence stock price. That just doesn't happen in our financial system.
I never said that. I'm saying gift card sales are a flea on the ... of Simon, and our MS is a small part of that flea. Taking any action whatever on Simon stock based on this glitch in its gift card processing is dumb. Simon is taking a financial hit because of COVID-19, with malls closing, mall stores not paying Simon rent, some stores going bankrupt, etc. Those are the factors that influence its stock price, not a few weeks of processing problems that people whine about on this forum.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ogg
I never said that. I'm saying gift card sales are a flea on the ... of Simon, and our MS is a small part of that flea. Taking any action whatever on Simon stock based on this glitch in its gift card processing is dumb. Simon is taking a financial hit because of COVID-19, with malls closing, mall stores not paying Simon rent, some stores going bankrupt, etc. Those are the factors that influence its stock price, not a few weeks of processing problems that people whine about on this forum.
We don't know how much our volume affects them. It could in fact be a huge source of "apparent revenue" either at the corporate level, or on a per-mall basis. Simon themselves aren't a retailer, their only income is rent/management fees and gift card sales. I'm not aware of them selling anything else.

Not saying our activity will affect their stock price or bankrupt them, but we're definitely more than a drop in the bucket, or they wouldn't be actively courting us for the past 4-5 years.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:41 am

Simon could simply go back to US Bank issued VGCs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.