Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:24 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by lumangoy
or you could have entered wrong pin and say you'll call your bank
I did not know what to expect. Had trouble like that before at the same place. But it was good this time. I'll take it.

I could not find any place that would sell MO on debit.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:52 am

Sorry for the noob question but for can you go to any cashier or do you have to go to the service department?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by butlerm
Sorry for the noob question but for can you go to any cashier or do you have to go to the service department?
money center if separate, or customer service only
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:43 am

I use to do 2ea. at $999.12. They started taking my DL information and that was printed on the receipt. I then just dropped my amount to $999.00, which totals to $999.88. I then use the extra $0.12 to buy something at a register when needed. Yes, this slows me down, but I do not want my name on some list that WM decides to ban. Anyone doing $8K per day is going to screw this system up eventually.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
You must have gotten lucky with smart, logical cashiers Every WM I go to they're dumb parrots who keep repeating the same line over and over "we're just following rules, we can get fired". I did have one WM where 2/3 of cashiers now allow 2-3 transactions, but their shifts are unpredictable.
It's manager dependent. The manager at my usual seems to understand the process and not be too concerned about it so she trusts her employees and tells them to do what the register will let them. If that's 999.12 per transaction for 600 transactions, so be it. Gross exaggeration of course. I only found out by talking to the cashiers about it though.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: Lots
Player 2 just did 2 for 999.12 and it voided to cash. They said a new rule was no more than two swipes otherwise it gets voided to cash. Anyone else with this experience?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by devastitis
Player 2 just did 2 for 999.12 and it voided to cash. They said a new rule was no more than two swipes otherwise it gets voided to cash. Anyone else with this experience?
I did four swipes this morning for one MO. Business as usual for me.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:46 am

Even if you go over the max of four swipes, it does not void to cash. It just won't take your fifth swipe and asks for another form of payment (cash from you). If the you choose to cancel the transaction at that point the CSR will manually void the transaction and the money will go back to your cards. At least that is my experience at all the WM's around here.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:03 pm

Wally CSRs say a lot of things.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
someone says WM cash register allows 16 swipes now...used to be 4 swipes. It is true?
Travelz and Zgirl like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by coolguy100
someone says WM cash register allows 16 swipes now...used to be 4 swipes. It is true?
Is that someone in this thread? Post 2007 states otherwise.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:26 am
Suspended

Hit your favorite WM, give it a try and report back!
Renes Points and hi55us like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:17 pm
Suspended

It's TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Travelz likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:05 pm

​​​​​​I can't see that causing any problems at all....
cruisr likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beast7276
It's TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It could be true. But what is the chance of some error in the middle (the 10th card) and something goes wrong? It can mess up all your cards. Then it is a tall task to deal with the GC companies to replace most of the GCs....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.