Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
So many levels of wrong in this question:
  • Sorry, but this is a long thread. - didn't read thread or wiki
  • I'm trying to learn as fast as I can so please bear with me. - didn't read thread or wiki
  • Is it easy to buy a money order worth at least $1000 - didn't read thread or wiki
  • with AMEX - *SIGH* didn't read thread or wiki
  • in any Walmart in Massachusetts or Washington State? - don't expect people to share details of their local honey holes
  • My plan is to then deposit it into my bank account. - ok, as many do this
  • Maybe I can do $500 each and deposit each money order into different bank accounts. - why?
  • Any potential issues here? - didn't ready thread or wiki
Explain to me why anyone should spoon feed you anything when you do not care to do anything at all?
farwest101, golfr and mhdena like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:22 pm

In my manufactured spending university seminar, I always recommend for students of Professor Horse to come back and re-read every thread. It lets people know how much they want it. This was another six digit profit year - mostly from plays discussed in wide open text - and if you get good enough, you can decipher the code others use. Higher end manufactured spenders inevitably lead bread crumbs all over their postings. Read, read, read. When you think you've read enough, re-read everything again. That's some of the best advice people can continually give you on here.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I saw an interesting piece on the local news last night. The theme was "holiday scams" and in it they were discussing an old scam where someone calls a senior citizen claiming to be a grandchild who is in trouble and needs money now. However, please send the money by buying WMGCs (as an example) and giving the codes to the person on the phone. Old scam but what made it newsworthy was the fact that the reported incidence of this con had increased some 3-4 fold from the previous year.

What was newsworthy to me was the additional fact that WM was teaming up with Best Buy, Target and others (in a coordinated effort) to restrict the use of their GCs for sending money or buying other GCs. While they didn't go into details, one thing the news report said was that they were no longer allowing their GCs to be used to purchase other financial instruments. .

I find this interesting in that this type of MSing has now risen to the level of popular daily news reporting . What I find disturbing is that we have a previous example of this when Treasury Gold Coins hit the popular press (I distinctly remember the WSJ doing a big article on it) and soon thereafter dying on the vine.

I have found that limited MSing supports my needs and I was very happy with 2018's results. I have found it harder and harder to convert GCs into MOs due to multiple restrictions or outright bans being placed on them, and sincerely hope that 2019 is as successful as 2018 was. I will remain optimistic.

Happy New Year to all.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:40 am

Slow news day, with none being newsworthy. Exactly when was it possible to buy a MO with WMGC?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
I saw an interesting piece on the local news last night. The theme was "holiday scams" and in it they were discussing an old scam where someone calls a senior citizen claiming to be a grandchild who is in trouble and needs money now. However, please send the money by buying WMGCs (as an example) and giving the codes to the person on the phone. Old scam but what made it newsworthy was the fact that the reported incidence of this con had increased some 3-4 fold from the previous year.

What was newsworthy to me was the additional fact that WM was teaming up with Best Buy, Target and others (in a coordinated effort) to restrict the use of their GCs for sending money or buying other GCs. While they didn't go into details, one thing the news report said was that they were no longer allowing their GCs to be used to purchase other financial instruments. .

I find this interesting in that this type of MSing has now risen to the level of popular daily news reporting . What I find disturbing is that we have a previous example of this when Treasury Gold Coins hit the popular press (I distinctly remember the WSJ doing a big article on it) and soon thereafter dying on the vine.

I have found that limited MSing supports my needs and I was very happy with 2018's results. I have found it harder and harder to convert GCs into MOs due to multiple restrictions or outright bans being placed on them, and sincerely hope that 2019 is as successful as 2018 was. I will remain optimistic.

Happy New Year to all.
I put this in the Bill Pay thread, but I was told by a CSM a couple weeks ago that changes are coming Jan 1. He told me it was going to be only one swipe per transaction, but who knows. I also saw some new stories which is worrisome that the felons out there are going to ruin a perfectly legit and legal leisure activity for the rest of us.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Explain to me why anyone should spoon feed you anything when you do not care to do anything at all?
I assume that was targeted at the original poster and not me ;-)
Renes Points likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
I assume that was targeted at the original poster and not me ;-)
Yep - speaking of the OP! Sorry should have been more clear. MS on!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
....meanwhile, GiftCards.com emailed me with "No Card Fees on Visa Gift Cards through the end of the year' with a promo code.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:37 am

My WM got a data truncation error

After entering my DL, they got a data truncation error and couldn't do money orders. Csr tried another register got same error. Anyone experienced this?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:04 pm

My go-to WM in downtown DC has had ALL their Money Services off-line, not working, (however you want to say it) for about a week now, with (according to the employees) no estimated time of return. Hmmmm......

I wonder if they just turned them off in anticipation of whatever changes MIGHT happen on Jan. 1st? Or turned them off so the CSRs could concentrate on returns/exchanges? I wonder.....
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by gm9928
My go-to WM in downtown DC has had ALL their Money Services off-line, not working, (however you want to say it) for about a week now, with (according to the employees) no estimated time of return. Hmmmm......

I wonder if they just turned them off in anticipation of whatever changes MIGHT happen on Jan. 1st? Or turned them off so the CSRs could concentrate on returns/exchanges? I wonder.....

Same thing for my go-to Walmart in greater Seattle area.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Went to my go to WM last night and bought 2 $799.00 MOs with no problem, Had to use up the $200.00 VGCs from Staples last week and these 8 were the last of them. No DL required and no questions asked. i did go at 8:30pm and in the late hours the don’t give a crap team is usually at the customer service desk.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
One Walmart I went to had screens in the Money Center showing videos on loop about common scams with gift cards and so forth. (Nothing MS-related, mainly about sending money to people claiming to be relatives or the IRS, .etc.)
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Kijimoko Takanawa

Same thing for my go-to Walmart in greater Seattle area.
How long has your store been down?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
How long has your store been down?
It had been down for two days. I went to the store today and it is up now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.