Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

The 2019 thread can be found here

New to MO: Read this entire Wiki (Click to open) and all posts for some tips before asking common questions. It is best to know what you are doing before you try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tested Gebit cards:
1. DO NOT WORK - Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes over $49.99.
2. Visas issued by MetaBank work great.
3. MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. See below for details.
5. Gdot/sun work but take about an hour to activate.

NEW Limits as of 11/18 - 8K with ID every 24 hours. ID required for MO over 1K.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Some tips for starting out:

All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as Debit cards.

Start slow and buy one MO with one Gebit to see how it works. Refer to cards as Debit, only this community calls them Gebits. Your store or cashier may have rules that other stores do not have, only allowing one swipe per trans or up to 4 swipes per trans. Read all the tips below and all the posts below before trying more advanced transactions. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card. Fee: 1K MO or less is usually 88 cents each, but ask or check the wall. Subtract the fee from the total or pay in cash. If a store says "no", thank them and try again another day with a different clerk.

Helpful details and tips for advanced transactions:

1. Cost:
1K MO fee is usually 88 cents each(Some states limit MO total to 750 or 950 and may have a different fee). Subtract fee from your total or pay in cash. Can buy two 1K MO in one transaction with 4 swipes for 88 cents x 2 in most states. NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart so always tell them the amount you want to pay per card.

2. Split payment transcations: You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you. When a transaction is canceled during the trans, the money returns to the cards. If canceled after, the cash reg drawer opens and they pay you back in cash.

3. Split payment: The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

4. Bad Printer: IF, by chance, you've swiped your GCs successfully, a receipt prints but the MO doesn't, make sure to ask to see the receipt and check near the bottom IF it says CHANGE/REFUND with a negative sign before the amount of GCs you swiped, that means the cashier must give you cash refund. Cashier may have to call for the cash dept manager to verify the refund. Some stores may outright give your cash refund immediately while there are others that will ask you to come back. Think twice before you buy MOs while on vacation or when you're in unknown to you territories for issues like this.

5. Kiosk: Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.>>>>Sometime 2016, a lot of WM supercenters have done away with Kate (kiosks that allows loading of prepaids/sell $500 MOs). As of today, MOST, if not ALL WMs, have replaced this with the regular slim ATM to check balance/withdraw money.

6. MCGC liquidation- The cashier should
not enter the amount first. Technically they just can't hit enter after entering the amount. Let the CSR know you need to swipe first and switch the payment type to debit, then swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen, enter the pin and have them enter the amount.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:34 am

@ wanalaugh I was helped by the middle-eastern lady, she proactively showed me the slip. Then she called for a CSM and that was that.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo
I'm certainly not one to publicly call out and I am certainly no MS vet but you thought splitting MOs into 3 VGCs and 1 MC was a good idea in light of all the issues WM is having?

IMO, gonna have to liquidate slow and in a simple way. Don't know what "ASAP" means to you but I'm sure you can pull it off in 1-2 weeks.
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Don't use MC at WM. Only ways I know, are all small-scale not 10K worth. Very labor-intensive, why I stay out of MC in the first place.
Originally Posted by lumangoy
probably not your preferred method, but if it's the only way you can liquidate....

use the MCGCs to buy VGCs you know work at your WM

So I managed to find a slow local way to liquidate, but it's YMMV. I thought it was $10K, but it only seems to be about $3K. I'm also drawing the conclusion that GC.com may have actually sent me the wrong order.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:15 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
So I managed to find a slow local way to liquidate, but it's YMMV. I thought it was $10K, but it only seems to be about $3K. I'm also drawing the conclusion that GC.com may have actually sent me the wrong order.
yikes- I think you need to get better systems in place if u continue to MS. That level of uncertainty about what u bought won’t end well
MaxVO and hi55us like this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by soy

yikes- I think you need to get better systems in place if u continue to MS. That level of uncertainty about what u bought won’t end well

I went back into my records and checked and it was actually my flub, so thanks for your concern, but I'm good...especially since I've found a way to liquidate the remaining MCs.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
As others have stated, my go to Wally has switch back to the old system. CSR told me that the new system is under the Financial Services new software, but that the machines are freezing and that I got to experience it as being one of the many customers that had to wait for more than 30 minutes after the receipt for the MO did not print. Hope they stick to the old reliable system for a couple more months or maybe years
MaxVO likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
Both of my WMNMs are back on the old system as well. No signature required, no “Gift Certificate” text on the MO. Life is good.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:07 pm

I decided to try my go to WM tonight and found out they reverted back to NO gift certificate txt on their MOs, no signature required, no ID check with up to $3K in separate transactions. Seems like they had a lot of problems with the recent 'upgrade' so management made the decision to go back to 'old style' which had no issues. No problem with loading prepaid cards also at customer service, MC or regular registers. Unloading several Ks from GCM is very much doable. I'm glad it's business as usual at my go to WMs.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:36 pm

BAU at my local WM. I did my first MO purchase since before Christmas today and it was nothing new. Only had 2 cards to cash out, no issues. This is the one WM I do the most recycling at, but I do have several others in the area i frequent as well, so I'll have to test them all out and see where we're at.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Gotta warn you, between VGC and MGC, MGC gets hacked a lot more frequent, so dont wait for too long or someone will drain them in no time.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:16 pm

Sad day for me today, went out for my saturday morning round and finished my guy told me that since tomorrow they only will do one GC per transaction, i can buy 10K in MO if i want to but just one transaction, they going into this *NEW* system so no more split $2000 MO in 4 cards, told him about this new system and also told him about all the issues, anyways, he was aware but he has to follow this, asked for split GC on BP and he said that this is just for MO, that i can do BP as usual, anyways going back to the board and se what happens, hard to stop doing MS on my SPG and OBC, can't do $4.99 for BP on those

I do have another WM but max is 2k MO a day, BP is ok though.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:50 pm

Went to my WM yesterday evening and the new system was running. Got my 2 MO splitting 4 VGC and signing some receipt. This morning, back to the old system, 2MO splitting 4 VGC no signing of receipt.

That was quick.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by gw14
Went to my WM yesterday evening and the new system was running. Got my 2 MO splitting 4 VGC and signing some receipt. This morning, back to the old system, 2MO splitting 4 VGC no signing of receipt.

That was quick.
The CSR can switch between systems, specially if the new one starts to give trouble. My go to store is now back to the old system too. Although they did work with the new system for a couple weeks with lots of problems.

Only difference for you is the "Gift Certificate" logo on your MO and the extra slip you get after you sign the third one
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by h3lloworld
Gotta warn you, between VGC and MGC, MGC gets hacked a lot more frequent, so dont wait for too long or someone will drain them in no time.

I only have $2K left, which I will be liquidating this week. FYI my WM recently updated to the new systems and the MGC trick actually worked, but you have to move fast to catch the buttons. I don't think I will be ordering anymore MGC again...on purpose or on accident.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by h3lloworld
Although recently, out of 16 VGCs, 3 were hacked even before they were opened (tried swiping, got "card not authorized" error, called up, sure enough, the card was automatically inactivated and new ones are being sent out). And, I make it a point to immediately liquidate them so that the liability isn't there.

Also, from what the CSR was saying was that the district was told to go back to the old system as it was causing issues for the money transfer system too.

ETA: Always make sure you have enough funds to cover, just in case you have to wait a few days before liquidating.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:58 am

My local WM has been back to the old system until further notice as the new system 'broke'. Never was any real difference except had to sign the slip and MOs were labelled 'gift certificate', but continued to be 4 VGC swipes for 2 x $999.3 MOs. All in all, BUA with no interruption in service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.