Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2018 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by freakflyer

I use my capital one venture as my go to card. Of course I ignore the ‘double miles’ spiel and just treat it as a straight 2% cash back card. However given that it has an annual fee (and there are free 2% cash back cards out there) are you only looking at signup bonuses?

Both cashback and bonus. Can't get a new account though so it doesn't matter
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by freakflyer

I use my capital one venture as my go to card. Of course I ignore the ‘double miles’ spiel and just treat it as a straight 2% cash back card. However given that it has an annual fee (and there are free 2% cash back cards out there) are you only looking at signup bonuses?

how much do you ms monthly?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Originally Posted by briang191

how much do you ms monthly?
By go-to card I mean my day to day organic spend card.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:30 pm

Is there a good list somewhere of known shutdown causes? It seems like that should be a wiki for this thread.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by pdxuser
Is there a good list somewhere of known shutdown causes? It seems like that should be a wiki for this thread.
In actuality we don't know the reasons for shutdown. We can surmise them, but those educated guesses could be completely off base.

We do know that if one's behavior causes rat's eyes to be cast on an account, then some cheese may wind up missing.

Bottom line: One person's shut down behavior is someone elses normal everyday practice. YMMV.
briang191 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:01 pm

Aren't some risk factors well-established, though, like buying GCs to reach an Amex signup bonus? Maybe not 100% of cards will get shut down, but we can still identify patterns. Paying certain CCs with Walmart Bill Pay or with an account that isn't in your name, depositing lots of MOs at the bank that issues your card, spending more than your credit limit by recycling with mid-statement payments, and other activities seem to be regular shutdown triggers at certain banks.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by pdxuser
Aren't some risk factors well-established, though, like buying GCs to reach an Amex signup bonus? Maybe not 100% of cards will get shut down, but we can still identify patterns. Paying certain CCs with Walmart Bill Pay or with an account that isn't in your name, depositing lots of MOs at the bank that issues your card, spending more than your credit limit by recycling with mid-statement payments, and other activities seem to be regular shutdown triggers at certain banks.
Yes, you are correct on all except the first one. Buying GC on @MEX cards is a risk factor for not getting a bonus (rather than a shutdown). That was an initial guess by those who also opened the doomed accounts from targeted links intended for someone else. The abuse of targeted links turned out to be the actual cause of those shutdowns.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:39 pm

It would be nice to have knowledge like that consolidated in one place.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:46 am

Data Point on Chase:
Chase shut me down in Sept 2016.
I tired to apply for a checking aco.... for a sign up bonus in branch last month and when the associate pulled up my details using SSN, there was some big blob of text in red that I could not read but he told me that "Not sure why but they instructed not to do business with you" and I could not open an aco.....
I tired to open account online later that week and at the final stage where I can fund initial deposit with a debit card, it kept saying unable to process debit. I tried 2 real bank debit cards and 1 or 2 prepaid visa cards. I assume even though the message says about debit card, the system may have blocked me for the shut down.
Today I went to apply BA card and surprisingly, I got approved with $20K limit. Hope I will actually receive the card.
If anyone was successful in getting new cards after shutdown with chase, what is your experience like?

Data Point on Barclay:
I got shut down by Barclay in Aug 2017.
I tired to apply for their Aviator card once few months ago and again today and both times it got rejected and looks like the flow is that the rejection is prior to them even pulling credit report. Not sure if I will ever get out of it.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Shawnee

Data Point on Barclay:
what were your sins? MS or too many open closed accounts?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Data Point on Chase:
Chase shut me down in Sept 2016.
I tired to apply for a checking aco.... for a sign up bonus in branch last month and when the associate pulled up my details using SSN, there was some big blob of text in red that I could not read but he told me that "Not sure why but they instructed not to do business with you" and I could not open an aco.....
I tired to open account online later that week and at the final stage where I can fund initial deposit with a debit card, it kept saying unable to process debit. I tried 2 real bank debit cards and 1 or 2 prepaid visa cards. I assume even though the message says about debit card, the system may have blocked me for the shut down.
Today I went to apply BA card and surprisingly, I got approved with $20K limit. Hope I will actually receive the card.
If anyone was successful in getting new cards after shutdown with chase, what is your experience like?
I encourage you to read through the shutdown thread in the Chase forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...solidated.html. There are many relevant data points. The short answer is that they will likely close your BA card within a few months, maybe sooner, although there are a few positive data points of people getting back in, long term.

Data Point on Barclay:
I tired to apply for their Aviator card once few months ago and again today and both times it got rejected and looks like the flow is that the rejection is prior to them even pulling credit report. Not sure if I will ever get out of it.
I was shut down by Barclay in Feb 2016. My experience has been similar. I applied for another Barclay card a few months ago and was rejected without them even pulling my credit.
Stoshbygosh likes this.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Aug 5, 2018 at 8:11 pm Reason: fix error
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I was shut down by Barclay in Feb 2016. My experience has been similar. I applied for another Barclay card a few months ago and was rejected without them even pulling my credit.
Do you have a comment/report link detailing your Barclay shutdown? What was the reason and what cards did they shutdown among other info?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by rct12345
Do you have a comment/report link detailing your Barclay shutdown? What was the reason and what cards did they shutdown among other info?
I think I posted about it here at the time. I wasn't MSing that heavily, but I had been loading Amex Serve and loading various Buxx cards regularly with my World Arrival Card. They shut that down as well as my Aviator card.
rct12345 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:41 pm

Data Point on Chase:
Like ChrisFlyer posted, they may cancel your new BA card. I posted this in the Chase shutdown thread, but here are the cliff notes on my experience. Chase shutdown my SO and my joint checking account, as well as all Chase credit cards in either of our names. We waited for about 18 months, then both applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve. We were both approved. About a month later, my SO's card quit working and we were to find out that Chase had canceled it. However, my CSR was not cancelled and I have been using it for probably a year and a half now. So, it's going to be a wait and see type of thing in your case. Good luck!
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:34 am
jk2

Originally Posted by knopfler
Like ChrisFlyer posted, they may cancel your new BA card. I posted this in the Chase shutdown thread, but here are the cliff notes on my experience. Chase shutdown my SO and my joint checking account, as well as all Chase credit cards in either of our names. We waited for about 18 months, then both applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve. We were both approved. About a month later, my SO's card quit working and we were to find out that Chase had canceled it. However, my CSR was not cancelled and I have been using it for probably a year and a half now. So, it's going to be a wait and see type of thing in your case. Good luck!
My experience with Chase after shutdowns is that eventually they will catch you and your cards will be shutdown again. My last batch of Chase card "lived" for ~16 months and one day they were closed. I even called EO and tried to get some answers, but they were pointing out on their T&C ("can close accounts for any reason anytime") and on the fact that my accounts were closed few years ago. You just cannot do anything. So, for any future Chase cards, I use a new logic - hit hard as long as you can. My wife's accounts were closed by Chase as well in the past, and one month ago she applied and received a Ritz Visa card. The card lived only for one month - even if only "real" spend was put on the card, no MS. I'm glad we decided to hit a spend requirement in the first month, at least she received a sign up bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.