Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2018 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by mortalwombat
Same thing just happened to my SO. Flagged after a fraud alert via mobile pay. Accounts closed after the 10 day review. Trying to appeal now. There is no significant MS other than Freedom categories, no new accounts in 6 months, 4 accounts in last 12, 9/24. 7 inquiries total.
Chase’s T&C says they can shut you down for any reason. Looks like the fraud alert put eyes on your SO’s accounts, and they saw MS on the Freedom after some investigation. You can call the EO and see if they’re willing to reverse their decision and file with the CFPB.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:08 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
No, the AM number I had was created thru Synchrony. There is just one. My spend was only 2.5K much of it through paypal (kiva loans all under 1K). I did use the card for boarding fees with a southwest flight, but I don't see how that is relevant. Until otherwise, I believe them when they say Asia miles shut down my credit card, not the other way around.
And this AM number is the number you also converted hotel points into?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by devastitis

Chase’s T&C says they can shut you down for any reason. Looks like the fraud alert put eyes on your SO’s accounts, and they saw MS on the Freedom after some investigation. You can call the EO and see if they’re willing to reverse their decision and file with the CFPB.
Already asked for an appeal and callback with a supervisor along with an EO investigation. I'm a CPC whatever that's worth anymore and trying my best to help.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by mortalwombat

Already asked for an appeal and callback with a supervisor along with an EO investigation. I'm a CPC whatever that's worth anymore and trying my best to help.
Chase can be remarkably fickle when it comes to credit cards.
I wanted a Chase Ink business card. At that time, the annual fee was being waived for the first year, according to not only published reports, but also by my personal CPC banker. So I apply and receive the card and the AF is on the first statement I bring that to the attention of my private banker who says "don't worry, we'll get that reversed."
Long story short, the branch had to reimburse me from their own branch funds for the AF. The CC division would not budge from their stance that the AF was not refundable.

It appears to me that Chase's CC division marches to it's own drummer no matter what other parts of the organization says.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radonc1
Chase can be remarkably fickle when it comes to credit cards.
I wanted a Chase Ink business card. At that time, the annual fee was being waived for the first year, according to not only published reports, but also by my personal CPC banker. So I apply and receive the card and the AF is on the first statement I bring that to the attention of my private banker who says "don't worry, we'll get that reversed."
Long story short, the branch had to reimburse me from their own branch funds for the AF. The CC division would not budge from their stance that the AF was not refundable.

It appears to me that Chase's CC division marches to it's own drummer no matter what other parts of the organization says.
They can be snotty too. When we applied the CSR on its first week thru our CPC, we were 6/24 and both got pending. Our CPC made a few phone calls because he said, several clients got approvals after the phone calls the last 2 days. Well, not happened to us. I decided to call recon myself the next day. The lady analyst had a very condescending tone when I asked if she could review the application, briefly mentioned we were Chase CPC. The lady said, "I would have already hung up on you versus still talking to you as of now, if you were not CPC." Wow. At the end she approved the apps if we agreed to move CLs from other cards and not a new line which she said had to go for higher up approval. While at the end I got the job done but I was really taken aback by her snotty response on we being CPC.

It just seems being Chase CPC does not worth anything outside the basic banking stuff.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I had my Citizens Bank checking account closed with no explanation. I used it almost exclusively for depositing MO's. Didn't generally keep much of a balance, although I do owe them high 5 figures on another loan. It wasn't a big deal. I have another bank I can use, where my father worked for 18 years and still has an account. I was using Citizens because it saved me about 10 miles of driving every deposit I had to make.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
I had my Citizens Bank checking account closed with no explanation. I used it almost exclusively for depositing MO's. Didn't generally keep much of a balance, although I do owe them high 5 figures on another loan. It wasn't a big deal. I have another bank I can use, where my father worked for 18 years and still has an account. I was using Citizens because it saved me about 10 miles of driving every deposit I had to make.
Mind sharing your approximate monthly deposit volume?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:29 am

Regarding AMEX and Chase MS, is one more likely to get shut down with MS on co-branded cards (e.g. SPG/MP) or MR/UR cards?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Regarding AMEX and Chase MS, is one more likely to get shut down with MS on co-branded cards (e.g. SPG/MP) or MR/UR cards?
I'd say MR/UR cards are more likely to get shut down.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I'd say MR/UR cards are more likely to get shut down.
figured as much and I'm not even talking about a lot of volume - perhaps $5-7k per month in total across several cards across AMEX and Chase. My biggest concern is eyes on my BGR MS even at my nominal MS level (~2-3k per month on bonus cats).
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:20 am
jk2

Today I received a UPS mail from Merril Edge that my investment account will be terminated in 1 month. I have $100K+ on that account, that gives me Preferred Honor status for my Bofa cards.

I am really shocked. What can trigger this? I don't do crazy activity on my investment account, just MS on Bofa cards.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by jk2
Today I received a UPS mail from Merril Edge that my investment account will be terminated in 1 month. I have $100K+ on that account, that gives me Preferred Honor status for my Bofa cards.

I am really shocked. What can trigger this? I don't do crazy activity on my investment account, just MS on Bofa cards.
The MS on the BO@ cards.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:48 am
jk2

Originally Posted by devastitis

The MS on the BO@ cards.
will they close them next?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Several dozen
Maybe, maybe not. Have seen BoA close bank accounts without closing credit card accounts.

Originally Posted by jk2
will they close them next?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by jk2

How much were you MSing on your BofA card? Don't know why they'd close your ME account and not your BofA card...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.