Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2018 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018 | 3:31 pm

AM account appears to be shut down. No response yet when tried to inquire. I am wondering if Asia communicates with partners.
Originally Posted by percysmith

(if this was from synchrony) I think synchrony lied to you

maybe they had to - they filed an SAR on you.

check whether your AM account is still open, I don't think synchrony can ask your AM account be shut down.
Old Jan 27, 2018 | 3:57 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
This seems crazy to me. Asia Miles????
Old Jan 27, 2018 | 3:59 pm

Programs: Lots
Just Kiva loans, and immediately shutdown after bonus miles posted? Is that known to happen? I pretty much completely MSed my C@th@y card through VGCs and now Im afraid theyre going to shut me down too.
Old Jan 27, 2018 | 4:03 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by devastitis
Just Kiva loans, and immediately shutdown after bonus miles posted? Is that known to happen? I pretty much completely MSed my C@th@y card through VGCs and now Im afraid theyre going to shut me down too.
I would move to organic spend for awhile without MSing.
Old Jan 27, 2018 | 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I would move to organic spend for awhile without MSing.
Kiva loans should not be treated as MS like buying VGCs I would think You cannot liquidate the Kiva loans for probably longer than a year and sometimes incur a loss!
Old Jan 27, 2018 | 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
That's what it sounds like to me too, however making it more interesting is that this is the first time I've ever had points in Asia Miles, and I didn't attempt to sell them, so clearly my reputation precedes me?
You have sold other program's miles before?
Old Jan 28, 2018 | 12:14 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I was shut down by Ch@se 5 years ago for illegally transferring points. Despite the fact that all the transfers were done by phone with Ch@se CSR's. I haven't been able to get another card from them since. Odd part is that a week after the shutdown I got an Ink business card, which I've had ever since. So I guess I'm personal non grata to them as a person, but as a sole proprietorship small business I'm creditworthy. BTW I've appealed to EO twice and to CFPB with no success. Let me be totally clear, I would call chase and tell the CSR "I want to transfer points from my co-workers account to mine" and they'd say "Fine, just give us both card numbers and both mother's maiden name." Then one I called and they said "You can't do that" and I said "Oh, ok" and didn't even try again. A few months later I closed my wife's account (same address, different last name) and transferred her points to me, and 3 weeks later they closed me down.
Old Jan 28, 2018 | 8:15 pm

(if this was from synchrony) I think synchrony lied to you

maybe they had to - they filed an SAR on you.

check whether your AM account is still open, I don't think synchrony can ask your AM account be shut down.
Just adding I still have my paypal snychrony card, so I do believe that it was Asia miles that shut me down. Maybe somebody hacked my account and tried to book my miles without my permission? I don't know how to get a human at the Asia Miles program...phone message kept giving me the runaround since I don't have my account number (record keeping is not my thing and I had just been tracking through synchrony website).
Old Jan 28, 2018 | 8:32 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
15 Years on Site

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Just adding I still have my paypal snychrony card, so I do believe that it was Asia miles that shut me down. Maybe somebody hacked my account and tried to book my miles without my permission? I don't know how to get a human at the Asia Miles program...phone message kept giving me the runaround since I don't have my account number (record keeping is not my thing and I had just been tracking through synchrony website).
Well apparently Michelle Wong from the Asia Miles app in Google Play is a real human so try calling in with her AM number https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.am

Then explain you're not Michelle Wong and ask for help recovering your own account

Alternatively if you're not fully shut down in Synchrony, perhaps they can tell you your AM number?

Old Jan 28, 2018 | 8:33 pm

Programs: Lots
Your AM account number isn't on your credit card?
Old Jan 30, 2018 | 9:37 pm

I have located my asia miles membership number in my sock drawer. I've been chatting on facebook.

I do have a theory. I checked my notes, and shortly after opening the account I tried to transfer in a fairly small number of hotel points using a 50% promotion. That transfer was rejected for some reason (maybe the account was too new).

If this is so, there is a bit of karma in the situation... like many of us, I'm not exactly an ideal customer, but I truly didn't do anything wrong with Asia Miles.
Old Jan 30, 2018 | 10:07 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
15 Years on Site

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
You have a historical AM number
Then you applied thru Synchrony for a new one??!!

That may be it then
AM will reject duplicate member applications (passport name/DOB matching).

I know individuals who've been shut down from AM because they've created multiple identities of themselves in order to use multiple redemption lists.
Old Jan 31, 2018 | 12:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott, SPG
Out of curiosity, what are you spending on the cards causing (or suspecting of causing) the shutdown? Are you doing smaller amounts or large purchases?
Old Jan 31, 2018 | 5:38 am

You have a historical AM number
Then you applied thru Synchrony for a new one??!!

That may be it then
AM will reject duplicate member applications (passport name/DOB matching).

I know individuals who've been shut down from AM because they've created multiple identities of themselves in order to use multiple redemption lists.
No, the AM number I had was created thru Synchrony. There is just one. My spend was only 2.5K much of it through paypal (kiva loans all under 1K). I did use the card for boarding fees with a southwest flight, but I don't see how that is relevant. Until otherwise, I believe them when they say Asia miles shut down my credit card, not the other way around.
Old Feb 2, 2018 | 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
Well, that explains the flag/trigger for the review. Not comforting to you at this point, but good to know for all of us, you included, that that is what triggered the review. Good luck with trying to reinstate it and let us know how it goes, seems many people have had success.
Same thing just happened to my SO. Flagged after a fraud alert via mobile pay. Accounts closed after the 10 day review. Trying to appeal now. There is no significant MS other than Freedom categories, no new accounts in 6 months, 4 accounts in last 12, 9/24. 7 inquiries total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.