Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 1, 2013, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k

I just found out my that Chase closed my Sapphire and Ink Bold accounts over the weekend. I was told on the phone that it was probably due to inconsistent charges (ie personal expenses on the Ink Bold card). My main concern now is the 300,000 UR points I currently have (or had). Are those gone for good? Is there any way to retrieve the points? Can I appeal their decision?

HELP!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 5:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you spend some time reading these threads you will see that Chase takes a hard line on point forfeitures, but that you can likely recover them if you begin the process of a small claims court action and serve notice on the right individuals at Chase.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...0-000-urs.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ints-help.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...employees.html
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Originally Posted by moarmiles
I just found out my that Chase closed my Sapphire and Ink Bold accounts over the weekend. I was told on the phone that it was probably due to inconsistent charges (ie personal expenses on the Ink Bold card). My main concern now is the 300,000 UR points I currently have (or had). Are those gone for good? Is there any way to retrieve the points? Can I appeal their decision?

HELP!
So what else happened tho? How big of purchases on the ink? I'd investigate more, "probably" isn't good enough it's not like you can't use a business's card for personal purchases and business.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: all

HELP!
Im pretty sure the reason cant be "personal charges on ink bold card"

have you been transferring your UR to other people?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
I am also sure that the reason is not "personal charges on Ink Bold." Do you remember what did you do with your card? anything you can remember???
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:23 pm

How much spend/MS were you putting on the cards and how long have you had them open?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k
Thanks for the info @mia. I may go the small claims route.

'Probably' is what the customer service rep told me over the phone, so I will just wait to get the official letter to see why my accounts were closed.

I did not transfer points at all. Heck, I didn't even merge my points between my Sapphire and Ink cards.

I've had my sapphire card for 2 years now and my Ink card since July. My sapphire used to have around 5-10k/mo of charges which I paid in full each month. But all that activity died down when I signed up for the Ink card and Starwood cards a few months ago.

For my Ink card, I just hit the minimum spend requirements and now only use it to pay for office depot stuff, cable, and mobile phone.

Main spend is on my starwood cards now as I'm trying to get points for Alaska Airlines.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Thanks for the info @mia. I may go the small claims route.

'Probably' is what the customer service rep told me over the phone, so I will just wait to get the official letter to see why my accounts were closed.

I did not transfer points at all. Heck, I didn't even merge my points between my Sapphire and Ink cards.

I've had my sapphire card for 2 years now and my Ink card since July. My sapphire used to have around 5-10k/mo of charges which I paid in full each month. But all that activity died down when I signed up for the Ink card and Starwood cards a few months ago.

For my Ink card, I just hit the minimum spend requirements and now only use it to pay for office depot stuff, cable, and mobile phone.

Main spend is on my starwood cards now as I'm trying to get points for Alaska Airlines.
I stopped using my slate card for more than a year. And the converted to Freedom. No issues there. So lack of activity is not it afik. And Ink charges sound right but your points balance was high. How did you accumulate these? Mostly MS on Sapphire?

Ps. Best of luck and dont settle for less than 1cent a point.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:33 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
I am sure that your account was not closed because you merge points between Sapphire and Ink. I have done it many times. It is legal and not break any rule of Chase

Just my opinion, I think you have a balance from 5k to 10k each month from personal card (Sapphire) may cause the problem

dont even see this cause the problem, just my opinion
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
As others have said, I'd recommend the small claims court option if you get nowhere with Chase. It'll be the only way they will surely listen and you'll receive what you are owed (Likely they'll call to settle).

Your shut down sounds similar to mine a few weeks back, personal checking and business cards shut down while I had a semi high balance of UR points. I'd say somehow Chase didn't like what or how much you were charging on the Sapphire if you really were charging that little to the Ink.

Sometimes I feel like Chase specifically targets those with large point balances to get rid of the liability off their books. Even assuming a high 2% merchant fee, a consumer would have to charge an additional $300,000 in charges to equal the gain Chase made my confiscating over 300k UR points. My math could be wrong since it's 3am, but $300,000*.02(Merchant Fee)-$300,000*.01(CB Value)=$3000.

I really could see Chase deciding it's pointless to wait for a customer who never has interest charges to push $300,000 through their cards when they simply can remove a $3000 liability from their books to the same effect by severing the relationship with the customer.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
As others have said, I'd recommend the small claims court option if you get nowhere with Chase. It'll be the only way they will surely listen and you'll receive what you are owed (Likely they'll call to settle).

Your shut down sounds similar to mine a few weeks back, personal checking and business cards shut down while I had a semi high balance of UR points. I'd say somehow Chase didn't like what or how much you were charging on the Sapphire if you really were charging that little to the Ink.

Sometimes I feel like Chase specifically targets those with large point balances to get rid of the liability off their books. Even assuming a high 2% merchant fee, a consumer would have to charge an additional $300,000 in charges to equal the gain Chase made my confiscating over 300k UR points. My math could be wrong since it's 3am, but $300,000*.02(Merchant Fee)-$300,000*.01(CB Value)=$3000.

I really could see Chase deciding it's pointless to wait for a customer who never has interest charges to push $300,000 through their cards when they simply can remove a $3000 liability from their books to the same effect by severing the relationship with the customer.
very doubtful they would be closing and targeting accounts without just cause
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:18 am

So most of your points were earned using Sapphire card? I don't see why they would target your account given the information that you told us.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pantanal
The "just cause" is up to the broad interpretation of the banks - all banks, not just Chase - when they see closing an account with high reward balance would work the best for their bottom line. They are betting that the customers would not fight back.

OP, you will not get any specific reasons in the official letter that eventually comes, other than something really generic, such as account not being used at intended purpose or account does not fit the business purpose or something along that line.

What the CSR told you is nothing but a pure guess from him/her - there would NOT be any hint in the system that a front line CSR could see. Not even a private banker would see any reason for account closure if you read the threads mia posted.

You can waste your time beating all sorts of bush. However as others have pointed out, a small claims court filing is the only way to get the bank to talk to you on this matter. It is sad but true.

My advice is to read up those threads prompto. When you get nowhere with Chase in the next few weeks (as indicated by the experiences from all others before you down this path), send a polite but firm demand letter to the Exec Office of the bank. You would likely not getting any response other than a call that basically tell you to pound sand.

After that, file the SCC suit. You have done all you can on good faith and now it is time for you to fight for your points if you really want them back.

The hardest part of the process actually is to find out the correct place / individual to serve. I am not sure you would need a specific individual's name if it is a claim against a corporation. Chase branch should be where you have your summons served - call the branch that is closest to the county court of your jurisdiction and verify this with the manager.

Good Luck and keep the community updated.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Quote:

By your analogy all the airlines should shut down high balance accounts too and they will take off a big liability sitting on the books

Hotel programs should do the same too

Originally Posted by pantanal

The "just cause" is up to the broad interpretation of the banks - all banks, not just Chase - when they see closing an account with high reward balance would work the best for their bottom line. They are betting that the customers would not fight back.

OP, you will not get any specific reasons in the official letter that eventually comes, other than something really generic, such as account not being used at intended purpose or account does not fit the business purpose or something along that line.

What the CSR told you is nothing but a pure guess from him/her - there would NOT be any hint in the system that a front line CSR could see. Not even a private banker would see any reason for account closure if you read the threads mia posted.

You can waste your time beating all sorts of bush. However as others have pointed out, a small claims court filing is the only way to get the bank to talk to you on this matter. It is sad but true.

My advice is to read up those threads prompto. When you get nowhere with Chase in the next few weeks (as indicated by the experiences from all others before you down this path), send a polite but firm demand letter to the Exec Office of the bank. You would likely not getting any response other than a call that basically tell you to pound sand.

After that, file the SCC suit. You have done all you can on good faith and now it is time for you to fight for your points if you really want them back.

The hardest part of the process actually is to find out the correct place / individual to serve. I am not sure you would need a specific individual's name if it is a claim against a corporation. Chase branch should be where you have your summons served - call the branch that is closest to the county court of your jurisdiction and verify this with the manager.

Good Luck and keep the community updated.

Last edited by pantanal; Dec 2, 2013 at 9:18 pm
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:50 pm

Chase closed my CC account with 300,000+ UR points

Go post on the facebook page. You will get a much faster response

The Marcom department is generally much more proactive

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.