Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2018 Shutdown Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by in4tar
Even if Amx legally is in the right, morally it is in the wrong...with that and with all the recent shutdowns one begins to wonder if Amx is worth keeping...that RAT that they created might do them some good in the short term but a lot of damage in the long term...
sadly morals and ethics don’t apply to large businesses

look at apple with that battery thing where suddenly your old phones stopped performing well on purpose to prompt you to want to “just go buy a new one”

also, morals and ethics are subjective. Mine cannot nec apply to someone else.

And finally, there have been many who claim what we do has moral or ethical ramifications but then, like I said, they aint us.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:09 am

Perhaps we should refocus our attention back to the shutdowns, and limit the whining.
There's unfortunately enough material this season to keep this thread very active.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Perhaps we should refocus our attention back to the shutdowns, and limit the whining.
There's unfortunately enough material this season to keep this thread very active.
Well this Amex thing is about shut downs and the reasoning behind many banks doing them to people like us. Hey I certainly aint whining... I did not do the amex offers and was sad at missing out but now fortunate I did not even get any on my few cards to begin with.
But the psyche and philosophy behind whatever card issuers do, or how people are who do the deals we do that end up in shut downs is JUST AS IMPORTANT if not paramount to helping to understand this stuff in general, and to try to avoid and navigate the waters going forward. Would you not agree?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: Several dozen
One might wonder whether AMEX knew of their AMEX offers internal control failure and used it as a honey pot to attract "deplorable customers" they wanted to identify (and punish with the surprise clawback?). But no, bankers don't follow bloggers who promoted exploiting the internal control failure and bankers could never be that evil, right?

Originally Posted by in4tar
Even if Amx legally is in the right, morally it is in the wrong...with that and with all the recent shutdowns one begins to wonder if Amx is worth keeping...that RAT that they created might do them some good in the short term but a lot of damage in the long term...
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
One might wonder whether AMEX knew of their AMEX offers internal control failure and used it as a honey pot to attract "deplorable customers" they wanted to identify (and punish with the surprise clawback?). But no, bankers don't follow bloggers who promoted exploiting the internal control failure and bankers could never be that evil, right?
ADK, great minds think a like. I just said something like that on a WhatsApp thread that I am on but I can’t figure out how to copy paste text from there on my phone so I will attempt to put my attachments in here
Old Sep 3, 2018, 7:01 pm

Is paying the estimated taxes with AMEX a flag? Has anyone done it? The amount will be less than $10K.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Perhaps we should refocus our attention back to the shutdowns
Agreed so please note that to refocus the thread back to the thread topic several posts about MSing in general have been deleted as there are other threads within this forum to discuss general MS topics.

tcook052
MS forum moderator
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Wow, this stings. First involuntary shutdown in 8 years of MSing.
1. brcl@y
2. Length of account before closure and CL? 4-5 years, $27K
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings? Plenty
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months? 20-40K
5. Cycle CL? 2X max
6. Did you BP using both options? Nope
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum? Nope.

Had a recent dip in my credit score due to a boneheaded failure to pay a sub-$100 Disc@ver bill. That's the only variable for YEARS. Anyway, I'd considered ditching the Arrival+ after they neutered the earning structure back when, I guess they made the decision for me.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by andyandy
1. brcl@y
5. Cycle CL? 2X max

Had a recent dip in my credit score due to a boneheaded failure to pay a sub-$100 Disc@ver bill. That's the only variable for YEARS. Anyway, I'd considered ditching the Arrival+ after they neutered the earning structure back when, I guess they made the decision for me.
Sorry to hear it andy - probably the cycling CL IMO. Others have said it, but I have noticed from reading over time that the banks tend to focus on their own reward's program "units" more intently. With the newfound awareness out there about MSing, I think everyone should tighten up the belt abit...but that's just my opinion.
Prometheus77 and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Does anyone know how long Brcl@y keeps you on the naughty list?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; American Airlines Platinum; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by daiseee
Does anyone know how long Brcl@y keeps you on the naughty list?
I'm wondering the same thing. Can't seem to find anything.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:37 am

I have waited 2 years and still on it. I was approved for Bclay Jet Blue card and received the card. When I called to activate it, I was told the account was closed. This was about 2 years after having a shutdown as an authorized user. It was an account that was heavily MS'd. Only sad part is, I really wante the Jet Blue card because I fly them all the time. The plus side is, since I was aproved for the card and immidiatly shutdown, JBlue thiks I have the card and gives me the 10% miles bonus.
MaxVO and hi55us like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
I read somewhere that for BCly, it's not permanent.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by andyandy
1. brcl@y
5. Cycle CL? 2X max

What happens to your A+ miles? Do they give any time window like Chase to use them up?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by rct12345
What happens to your A+ miles? Do they give any time window like Chase to use them up?
No window of time was specified (I still haven't gotten any communication from b@rcl@y), but I was able to redeem for a statement credit after the shutdown. .5cpp, highway robbery.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.