Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2023, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by FrankZap
I have always been able to use these VISA or Mastercard Gift Cards on Amazon, either to purchase items or reload my Amazon balance. This is now not working since Feb 2 when I last loaded. And today I find that my Simon Mall debit card will also not work, though this has worked for years (even though it has my name on it).
Amazon says either that this "never worked" (which of course is nonsense) or that it should work.
register the card first with your name / zip
Old Feb 11, 2023, 10:21 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by alanisrox69
Does anyone have trouble using Bank of America issued credit cards to purchase these Visa GCs at Staples? I recently got the Alaska Air BOA card for the 70k mile offer and it has been a nightmare to use!

first day, $1600, “use alternative form of payment”. The boa app said to call them. I called from the register and after a 15min call he said he unlocked the card and to try the charge again, but it again failed. I was so frustrated I just used my Chase Ink card for 5x points.

After leaving store I continued to be on phone with him for 15 more mins. He said card was finally unlocked. I tried $27 charge at grocery store 15min later (just groceries). NOPE. Failed.

I called again, got a more helpful woman, she once again said the card was unlocked and I wouldn’t have any more issues.

Back to Staples yesterday, $1600. “Use alternative form of payment”. Once again, I can’t simply approve the transaction via text or app. I need to call. I called and the girl does unlock the card and am able to use the card but the whole process takes 10-12mins while I’m standing at Staples. Luckily the staples is dead.

so, I go back to Staples for the final $1400 for the bonus miles today. Once again, failed. I call, but this time the call lasts over 30min and they WOULD NOT unlock the card and asked me why I’m making large purchases (duh for the bonus miles offer), and she told me I had to go into a BOA branch on Monday with 2 forms of photo ID to get the card unlocked. ...? This is the craziest thing I’ve ever encountered with ANY credit card offer. IT’S YOUR CARD PROMOTION!!!! I need to spend $3k and you’re not letting me!!!!
How are you liquidating these GCs? Normal utility spend or MS?
Old Feb 11, 2023, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by euromannn
How are you liquidating these GCs? Normal utility spend or MS?
Serve
Old Feb 12, 2023, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by alanisrox69
Does anyone have trouble using Bank of America issued credit cards to purchase these Visa GCs at Staples? I recently got the Alaska Air BOA card for the 70k mile offer and it has been a nightmare to use!

first day, $1600, “use alternative form of payment”. The boa app said to call them. I called from the register and after a 15min call he said he unlocked the card and to try the charge again, but it again failed. I was so frustrated I just used my Chase Ink card for 5x points.

After leaving store I continued to be on phone with him for 15 more mins. He said card was finally unlocked. I tried $27 charge at grocery store 15min later (just groceries). NOPE. Failed.

I called again, got a more helpful woman, she once again said the card was unlocked and I wouldn’t have any more issues.

Back to Staples yesterday, $1600. “Use alternative form of payment”. Once again, I can’t simply approve the transaction via text or app. I need to call. I called and the girl does unlock the card and am able to use the card but the whole process takes 10-12mins while I’m standing at Staples. Luckily the staples is dead.

so, I go back to Staples for the final $1400 for the bonus miles today. Once again, failed. I call, but this time the call lasts over 30min and they WOULD NOT unlock the card and asked me why I’m making large purchases (duh for the bonus miles offer), and she told me I had to go into a BOA branch on Monday with 2 forms of photo ID to get the card unlocked. ...? This is the craziest thing I’ve ever encountered with ANY credit card offer. IT’S YOUR CARD PROMOTION!!!! I need to spend $3k and you’re not letting me!!!!
I had a similar issue with Marriott card at grocery store. They were offering 5x points, so I bought 3x $500 gift card. I swiped and it texted to confirm it was me. Confirmed. It said to try again, and it rejected and got a text to call Chase. Confirmed everything with Chase. Was promised it would work. Same thing happened 3 more times. They kept swearing it would work and it didn't. Card works everywhere else but cannot buy groceries with the card still, a year later. $2000 purchases on Amazon go through without a problem but a box of Chex gets declined at ShopRite.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 8:26 pm

Mastercard

Has anyone had trouble using the Pin for transactions on the $200 Mastercards?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 6:00 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ericsilverglate
Has anyone had trouble using the Pin for transactions on the $200 Mastercards?
MC's have a different method of liquidation, which is described in the Wiki as well as in this thread.. This may solve your problem.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Liquidating Meta VGCs at Giant in PA to buy MO?

Has anyone in PA noticed an issue with liquidating Meta VGCs to buy MOs at Giant Supermarkets recently?

It seems Vanilla VGCs still work at Giant for MO.

I have been using this method to liquidate the Staples $200 VGCs.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by fletchbo
Has anyone in PA noticed an issue with liquidating Meta VGCs to buy MOs at Giant Supermarkets recently?

It seems Vanilla VGCs still work at Giant for MO.

I have been using this method to liquidate the Staples $200 VGCs.
Well discussed in this thread as well as others for the past 1-2 weeks. Just go back and start reading. Many DPs on Meta/Pathway VGC liquidation issues.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 4:32 am

Fee free $200 Mastercard 2/26 - 3/4 max 8 per day
Old Mar 1, 2023, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1
MC's have a different method of liquidation, which is described in the Wiki as well as in this thread.. This may solve your problem.
Can you give the link? I can't find WiKi, also it's hard to go through 130 pages for this specific question regarding MCGC.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by bmelily
Can you give the link? I can't find WiKi, also it's hard to go through 130 pages for this specific question regarding MCGC.
You need to use the search tab for this thread. However, here is a link
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29691546-post679.html

You have to hit the cancel, change payment to switch from credit to debit. This has been discussed many times in this and other threads and if you look, you can find more specific instructions if necessary.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
You need to use the search tab for this thread. However, here is a link
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29691546-post679.html

You have to hit the cancel, change payment to switch from credit to debit. This has been discussed many times in this and other threads and if you look, you can find more specific instructions if necessary.
This does not work as of today as all MC are considered as credit. There is no option to change debit it POS.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:59 pm

No more auto-drained

I can firmly confirm Meta issued MCGC 200 from Staples is no longer auto-drained.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:31 pm

For the yellow color $200 visa gift card from staple, I was able to swipe 2 to get $400 MO at Meijer and do 2 more so total $1200 per visit.
Last week, it only allowed me to swipe 1 card for one transaction, and total 3 transactions, the 4th one didn't work.
Today only 2 transactions with 1 swipe each, the 3rd one didn't work.
Boston Paulie likes this.

Last edited by fei3030; Mar 9, 2023 at 2:25 pm
Old Mar 9, 2023, 1:16 pm

Wheare you buying the MO's? I'm all in on Serve, but may need to branch out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.