Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by AceM
There are a 3 walmarts in my small town area that i have been going too for the past few mths to exchange VGC for MO, however this wk i was told they do not accept VGC, i went to another WM 8 miles away and they said the decision came from Moneygram to not accept them

I am in Washington state, i will try going further out to get rid of the $2k worth of gift cards i have left
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I am also in Washington state. Of my two local Walmarts, one routinely asks to see the card (and refuses to accept VGCs), and the other doesn't care.
Originally Posted by kurt711
I guess it's spreading. Same message about moneygram not allowing gift card even at my easy walmart in AZ. Gotta go when the Rep I know is working to make sure but it might be getting enforced hard if it is moneygram dictating.
Originally Posted by joemeckler
Yes, I agree that it's odd that someone in both FL and AZ reported similar reasoning. Hopefully, it's a store by store decision.
For the folks this is happening to, are you using VGC with your name on them or generic versions (for example, VGCs from Staples, Simon, Safeway, etc.)?

Edit: Just an FYI, I use VGCs with my name on them and that clearly say Visa Debit. The few times I have ever get questioned about them, I have maintained that this is a debit card and don't deviate from that - once had a manager come over (about 1.25 years ago) and they clearly told the agent that Debit is allowed.

Edit2: I would also suggest a generalized change of attitude from what I have seen from many on this forum: instead of trying to do the minimum necessary (that raises alarm bells), why not try to raise the bar a little and not burn out this avenue of MS...rant over/.

Last edited by pharmawalk; Aug 26, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk

Edit2: I would also suggest a generalized change of attitude from what I have seen from many on this forum: instead of trying to do the minimum necessary (that raises alarm bells), why not try to raise the bar a little and not burn out this avenue of MS...rant over/.
What do you mean by minimum and raising the bar?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:09 pm

For the folks this is happening to, are you using VGC with your name on them or generic versions (for example, VGCs from Staples, Simon, Safeway, etc.)?

Edit: Just an FYI, I use VGCs with my name on them and that clearly say Visa Debit. The few times I have ever get questioned about them, I have maintained that this is a debit card and don't deviate from that - once had a manager come over (about 1.25 years ago) and they clearly told the agent that Debit is allowed.

I hear stuff all the time from blue vests and yellow vests. I wouldn't post a data point to raise alarms unless I've been shut down in 3 stores in the same day. Employees make up stuff all the time.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
Just liquidated 4k in VGCs at my go to walmart in NW Florida. Hope this virus doesn't spread this way.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
Obviously nothing is hardcoded at this point but these reports are worrisome.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:04 pm

I just bought 4 MO, first WM would only let me use 2 payments only, i went to a 2nd one, Money order machine is broken, 3rd one was the charm and got another 2.

like 30 mins ago.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:13 pm

MS used to be rare. Now with so much more people doing this we're going to have all kinds of DPs. More WM employees will be aware of the activity and they will have all kinds of ideas and " policies". MG can't block VGCs, only WM can. I remember ~3 months ago some employees were spreading that nonsense as imminent.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:17 am

No i am not specifically asking about using VGC but i think they know its a VGC when a person comes to you asking for 2 money orders and then uses a card that only has $500 on it

The only way i think getting around it would be to get a single money order of $500 so you arent using 4 VGC

I have done $2k, $3k, and $4k at these locations before without issue

When they ask if its a gift card i say its a debit card, the same reps that i have gone to before are now not accepting VGC
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott LT Titanium
VGC @ walmarts midwest

================================================== ======

I have mixed experiences with different Walmarts and employees at the Midwest.

I know of one location that is a no go even with VGC with your name on it, the moment you ask for a MO the employees get all crazy and create all sort
of rules/excuses to avois selling the MO.

In other locations they ask for your drivers license and they swipe the VGC with my name on it on their side (I guess they want to check if I remember the pin ;-); btw I always set my own pin)

I have another location where the CSR asked me why I come into the store
to purchase MO with VGC (never told her that they were VGC and yes they have my name on it) apparently they can see what type of card you are using on their side, I told her that is to collect miles for travel and she was fine with it, in fact I now liquidate Simon in that location since I do not longer need to use the VGC with my name on it.

Other places ( no Walmart) that sell western union MO let me purchase with
simon cards no problem doing split payments to get 1k MOs.

There's one location where the yellow vest told the new CSR asking for directions on my request of split payments that as long as my name matches my ID they can sell me MO with split payments.

In my experience it remains YMMV situation but it always help to have cards
with your name on it.

Good Luck.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:34 pm

How do you mean it always helps to have cards
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
How do you mean it always helps to have cards
He said is good to have a GC with your name on it, that way I least is not like a generic VGC that many money launders like to use.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:51 pm

The only way i think getting around it would be to get a single money order of $500 so you arent using 4 VGC
you said they won't allow the VGCs so even if you use just one, they will still know if you're swiping a GC. It's all or none based on their made up policy IF they can really tell from the BIN if cards swiped are GCs.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by fedechat
He said is good to have a GC with your name on it, that way I least is not like a generic VGC that many money launders like to use.
This is what irritates me about some store employees who don't seem to realize what a true money launderer will do. They need to 'clean' cash they received so there's no need to buy a gc to then buy a MO. All they do is use cash to buy the MO. What's more suspicious, someone using a debit card to buy MO or someone using lots of cash to buy an MO? I think some people just get the terminology wrong.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
This is what irritates me about some store employees who don't seem to realize what a true money launderer will do. They need to 'clean' cash they received so there's no need to buy a gc to then buy a MO. All they do is use cash to buy the MO. What's more suspicious, someone using a debit card to buy MO or someone using lots of cash to buy an MO? I think some people just get the terminology wrong.
... because a money launderer clearly can't buy gift cards?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:46 pm

The issue is that crooks buy gift cards with stolen credit cards and WM gets chargebacks from those transactions. For money launderer depositing cash or MO to a bank is the same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.