Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
What does UR points have to do with it?

Why aren't you people who are not being cash refunded on the spot contacting the GC issuer?

They're the ones who can see the activity history.
UR redemption for cash would be a way I could get paid back for this mess.

I did contact Gc.com after it happened, and they told me to wait 10 days. The guy had a strong accent, but he seemed to be saying he could tell the transaction was not finalized; I sure thought I'd have the money back by now.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
Simon Malls, Stop & Shop, AutoZone, some Toys'R'Us stores, and likely others that I'm forgetting at the moment.
Thanks! I'll try some of those.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:39 am

That's funny I had exactly opposite experience when transaction time out after MO printed out. They gave me MO and also refunded GCs after l left the store because l did not want to wait for register to complete the transaction.

There is some wired stuff going on with buying MOs using VGCs at WMs recently. It might be Blackhawk, WM system or MoneyGram issues. We don't know.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan

I did contact Gc.com after it happened, and they told me to wait 10 days. The guy had a strong accent, but he seemed to be saying he could tell the transaction was not finalized; I sure thought I'd have the money back by now.
I'd treat this the same way as buying gift cards from a supermarket that were drained, which I did do last year.

When I contacted US Bank, I also contacted the CFPB the same day. I had my $2,000 replacement GCs from US Bank within 10 days. Not the 2-6 months others have been reporting,

While I could have floated $2k for six months, I didn't want to. It wasn't on Chase cards but if it was I wouldn't burn UR points for it.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
That's funny I had exactly opposite experience when transaction time out after MO printed out. They gave me MO and also refunded GCs after l left the store because l did not want to wait for register to complete the transaction.

There is some wired stuff going on with buying MOs using VGCs at WMs recently. It might be Blackhawk, WM system or MoneyGram issues. We don't know.
did you use the VGCs again?

if you did, this is one way to burn your WM
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
did you use the VGCs again?

if you did, this is one way to burn your WM
It doesn't matter if I used them again. They burned themselves already by refunding the cards and I could not stop it.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:25 am

It doesn't matter if I used them again. They burned themselves already by refunding the cards and I could not stop it.
you absolutely could fix it. You should have gone back and told the store what happened and either returned the money orders or paid again. You made their drawer short a very significant amount of money that day...
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by hamokmonky
you absolutely could fix it.
Could have bought a lot of good will for himself, maybe to the point of no limits.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
you absolutely could fix it. You should have gone back and told the store what happened and either returned the money orders or paid again. You made their drawer short a very significant amount of money that day...
And that's what I did. The mngr said they are not short and the transaction was canceled and refunded. They still allow VGCs at that location. Some wired stuff going on at WMs.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:57 am

And that's what I did. The mngr said they are not short and the transaction was canceled and refunded. They still allow VGCs at that location. Some wired stuff going on at WMs.
If true, then the money orders would not be valid. In which case depositing them would be a disaster on your accounts. If they are valid and you still have your money then the manager is wrong.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:01 pm
Suspended

there are alot of unknowns, but just as I want either an MO or ca$h if things hit the fan, I want the same for whatever store I went to. I would give the mgr my info and ask that should a shortage arise to please contact me , otherwise most likely the csr who did it will be jobless. Now if it was csr that didnt allow me to get MOs thats 1 thing (but even then) but if its with a csr that didnt cause any trouble the last thing Id want is for them to end up with the short stick in hand

Folks MSing is like any other biz there are pros and cons, if you cant afford the float then dont load up on cards. When youre doing this long enough things will hit the fan, if you cant deal with it and let time work things out, dont get into the pool, find something else to do
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:10 pm

Key difference is my MO never printed out. I was told they tried to void the transaction after I'd tried the two cards that drained. I keep thinking I'll look and the money will be back on the cards, but no dice so far.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:31 pm

Key difference is my MO never printed out. I was told they tried to void the transaction after I'd tried the two cards that drained. I keep thinking I'll look and the money will be back on the cards, but no dice so far.
When register voids transaction refund is instant to VGC and I had those done in the past. It is different kind of refund when you return an item. Those take couple days. If you don't see refund by now you will never see it. They have to give you cash.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:54 pm

When register voids transaction refund is instant to VGC and I had those done in the past. It is different kind of refund when you return an item. Those take couple days. If you don't see refund by now you will never see it. They have to give you cash.
This is just so strange. Here is what basically happened: I started a MO transaction like any other. I ask to split. They swipe card, and basically does nothing until it times out; we try again, no dice; I try a different card, same thing again. At this point, she said she voided it, and we move to a new register. Everything goes great, except those two cards are now empty. All of this on July 15. If I do pursue this at Walmart, what are the steps? And how do I "prove" it? I do know the associates name, and they all know me well.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:58 pm

Here's mine after Host Timeout:
07/11/2017 WM SUPERCENTER # -500.00
Not back yet so its never coming back automatically. Money manager said for me that there wasn't anything she could do on her end as it was not a cash transaction (seem to be people that disagree on here).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.