Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:47 am

Double whammy for me today.

I accidentally bought American Express GCs insteall of VGCs.

As I was converting to MCGC at grocery, I couldn't use one of them. When I checked the activation receipt, the last 4 doesn't match on 1 of the cards.

What's my recourse?

I will go back to store and see if the card is still there.

Can American Express cancel the card that was activated and send me a replacement?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:03 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Double whammy for me today.

I accidentally bought American Express GCs insteall of VGCs.

As I was converting to MCGC at grocery, I couldn't use one of them. When I checked the activation receipt, the last 4 doesn't match on 1 of the cards.

What's my recourse?

I will go back to store and see if the card is still there.

Can American Express cancel the card that was activated and send me a replacement?
GCs are not refundable.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
GCs are not refundable.
Im not asking for a refund, but a replacement.

Anyway, I got super lucky.

The AGC that was activated was in rack!
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Im not asking for a refund, but a replacement.

Anyway, I got super lucky.

The AGC that was activated was in rack!
Crap. I didn't get there in time to find that free money!

Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:11 am

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Can someone explain how this works? What's the wand? The hand scanner didn't work for me.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by adminds
Can someone explain how this works? What's the wand? The hand scanner didn't work for me.
What do you mean "didn't work for me" - why/how didn't it work
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by thedealkiller
What do you mean "didn't work for me" - why/how didn't it work
After the cashier scanned my ID, the system popped up an error message: "Due to a system issue we are unable to process this transaction at this time. Please try again in a few minutes." I think that's what the last part of the Wiki is about.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ECCM
I've also had trouble buying at CVS with a recently product changed Freedom even when calling ahead and notifying of a "large spend notification," on several occasions. Either the system thinks its a new card because of the recent product change (it was a CSR originally) or Chase might be intentionally blocking these large purchases at pharmacies. I had no problem switching to an AMEX and having it go through. Anyone have recent success with a Freedom in pharmacies for large purchases?
I think Chase is just blocking transactions that are the exact amount of a GC. If I try to buy a GC by itself with my freedom card, it gets rejected. But if I buy a GC and anything else so the exact amount doesn't match, it works fine.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:45 pm

Angry Driver's License Scanning Error

Originally Posted by adminds
After the cashier scanned my ID, the system popped up an error message: "Due to a system issue we are unable to process this transaction at this time. Please try again in a few minutes." I think that's what the last part of the Wiki is about.
I'm getting the same error and my DL doesn't have a magnetic stripe - just the bar code. The cashier scans it, and then a moment later gets the error message. It has happened at 3 different CVS stores on 3 different days. 2 of the cashiers have shown me their screen and it is the same error every time, "Due to a system issue we are unable to process this transaction at this time. Please try again in a few minutes." Trying the transaction again in a few minutes leads to the same error.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by daubu
I'm getting the same error and my DL doesn't have a magnetic stripe - just the bar code. The cashier scans it, and then a moment later gets the error message. It has happened at 3 different CVS stores on 3 different days. 2 of the cashiers have shown me their screen and it is the same error every time, "Due to a system issue we are unable to process this transaction at this time. Please try again in a few minutes." Trying the transaction again in a few minutes leads to the same error.
I got this trying to buy on May 16 and 17. Scanned wife's ID, and purchase went through fine. Rep asked if I've bought a lot, and I've legit been sticking to only $500/week. So I'm not sure what it could be. They did say it was a different error message than the one they see for those buying over $2000/day, so they believed me when I suggested it's something else. Anyone else ever get this resolved?
Old May 20, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by daubu
Another DP, this is happening to me too across various CVSs in Washington DC.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:40 am

I ask the to manually enter the info and it work fine

Originally Posted by ne0ven0m
I got this trying to buy on May 16 and 17. Scanned wife's ID, and purchase went through fine. Rep asked if I've bought a lot, and I've legit been sticking to only $500/week. So I'm not sure what it could be. They did say it was a different error message than the one they see for those buying over $2000/day, so they believed me when I suggested it's something else. Anyone else ever get this resolved?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:48 pm

the limit is 4 $500 VGC per rolling 24 hours correct? The fees don't count? I generally do only 3 at a time but trying to minimize the number of runs if 4 goes through fine. Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by neony77
the limit is 4 $500 VGC per rolling 24 hours correct? The fees don't count? I generally do only 3 at a time but trying to minimize the number of runs if 4 goes through fine. Thanks!
Yes.

Buy 4 x 500 at 12:00pm today and you'll have to wait until 12:01pm tomorrow to buy again.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by daddyo_daddyo
Yes.

Buy 4 x 500 at 12:00pm today and you'll have to wait until 12:01pm tomorrow to buy again.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.