Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:28 pm

Anyone MSing at CVS for 4.5% with CFU/CFF and CSR? Has anything changed? Haven't been in a couple years. Also not sure if card issuer in question has stopped issuing points.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by dealhunter32
Anyone MSing at CVS for 4.5% with CFU/CFF and CSR? Has anything changed? Haven't been in a couple years. Also not sure if card issuer in question has stopped issuing points.
yeah I've been doing it. No issues with receiving points. CVS/Walgreens have a shared 2k/day limit, meaning you can't buy 2k from CVS and another 2k at Walgreens on the same day. They scan your DL. VGCs are Vanillas so that may/may not be an issue.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 11:02 am

I tried to buy a OV in a couple of different CVS stores today and received the same error both times. After my license was scanned, the message (I am paraphrasing) "system issues; we are unable to process the transaction; try again later" came on the screen for the cashier. Have any of you seen this happen before? Is the issue with my license specifically or is truly a "system issue"?
Old Nov 4, 2020, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by jumbotron_
yeah I've been doing it. No issues with receiving points. CVS/Walgreens have a shared 2k/day limit, meaning you can't buy 2k from CVS and another 2k at Walgreens on the same day. They scan your DL. VGCs are Vanillas so that may/may not be an issue.
What area do you live in? The Wg near me only allow $500 but they don't scan my license.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Zepcro
What area do you live in? The Wg near me only allow $500 but they don't scan my license.
I'm in the Bay Area. Recently found a walgreens that doesn't scan DL and they let you buy as many as you want. But seems like the other CVS/WG in my area scan DL for 2k/day limit
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:52 am

Have any of you had an issue where your birth date and possibly other info didn't transfer over to the computer when your license was scanned at CVS and the info had to be manually entered by the cashier? This had never happened to me until the past week or so.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Zepcro
Have any of you had an issue where your birth date and possibly other info didn't transfer over to the computer when your license was scanned at CVS and the info had to be manually entered by the cashier? This had never happened to me until the past week or so.
Exactly that happened last week. I saw the cashier looking at my license and punching something in. I said they usually just slide it, and she said my birth date and something else (I've forgotten) didn't auto-enter. I assumed it was a fluke.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Whittaker
Exactly that happened last week. I saw the cashier looking at my license and punching something in. I said they usually just slide it, and she said my birth date and something else (I've forgotten) didn't auto-enter. I assumed it was a fluke.
It's happened to me 3 or 4 times in the past couple of weeks. When it happened the 2nd or 3rd time I asked the cashier if it's happened to others and he said it happens sometimes so it's probably nothing to worry about.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Anyone buying $25 cards with the PayPal/Venmo $10 off $20 when you pay by QR code? Amount too low to be good use of time?
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by msp3
Anyone buying $25 cards with the PayPal/Venmo $10 off $20 when you pay by QR code? Amount too low to be good use of time?
I was planning on using it to buy a 3rd party gift card, probably to a fast-food place.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 7:04 pm

Is the $2K daily limit a limit per day, or a limit per 24 hour period? In other words, if I purchase 2K at 5 o’clock today, could I purchase another 2K at 4 o’clock tomorrow, or would I need to wait until after 5 o’clock?
Old Feb 23, 2021, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
Is the $2K daily limit a limit per day, or a limit per 24 hour period? In other words, if I purchase 2K at 5 o’clock today, could I purchase another 2K at 4 o’clock tomorrow, or would I need to wait until after 5 o’clock?
From my experience it's 24hrs. So you would have to wait till 5 again
ricohitman likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by jumbotron_
From my experience it's 24hrs. So you would have to wait till 5 again
Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Can you still use passport and driver's license to get a total of 4 k?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by ricohitman
Can you still use passport and driver's license to get a total of 4 k?
works for me 2 weeks ago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.